Mixed RAM Sticks

Go to solution Solved by Sophia_Borjia,

It should, I'm using 48gb on computer typing this from, I have had no issues.  Windows detects all 48, I have had over 32 in use, so extra capacity does get utilized.

Hi Guys

Im currenty running a system with this spec (kinda old):

Intel i7 4790K

MSI RTX2060 Gaming Z

MSI Z97 Gaming 7

2x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 PC12800 (put in slot 1&3)

I'm plannng to upgrade my RAM size to 16gb, also trying to find same 2x4gb sticks but kinda hard to get by nowadays here. 

So, my other options is limited to 1x8GB stick Corsair DDR3 Vengeance Black PC12800 8GB (1X8GB) - CMZ8GX3M1A1600C9

My question:

is there any performance issue if im using these RAM setup?

Please help, thanks before.

P.S: Sorry for bad english.

Well, as far as performance is concern, if you are just gaming and web browsing, watching movie, you won't feel a lot of difference. But if you are doing a lot of rendering, then you'll felt the rendering time get a little bit longer. There won't be any issue as far as I can tell, but you should consult the motherboard manual if your system can handle the capacity of the RAM.

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.

Both the cas latency and speed will run at lowest spec all sticks meet. 

2x4 in one channel and 8gb in other should work in theory, never tried that myself, seems little iffy and could not post.

I have run 2x8&2x16 together, so you should be able to upgrade to 24gb with 2x4&2x8 if 2x4&1x8 angers mobo.

37 minutes ago, Cvet76 said:

Your English is fine.

Mixing memory sticks results in the system operating at the max capacity of the weaker module of the two. So for example if you have a stick with 2333MHz and one with 3000MHz, the max you'll be able to use is the speed that the slower one has. I don't know how it is with memory timing regarding this, though. Someone else more knwledgeable should answer this. Regarding the capacity, though: You'll still have the 16GB, but it'll operate at the slower speed. That is to say if it'll work at all.
The reason companies sell 2x8GB, 2x4, 2x16, etc is because they test those specific sticks with one another and make sure they work together. Not saying your combination won't work, but best practice is to avoid combining different modules if you can.

1 minute ago, Sophia_Borjia said:

2x4 in one channel and 8gb in other should work in theory, never tried that myself, seems little iffy and could not post.

I have run 2x8&2x16 together, so you should be able to upgrade to 24gb with 2x4&2x8 if 2x4&1x8 angers mobo.

1 minute ago, Sophia_Borjia said:

So let's say i am able to find 2x8gb sticks. It should work optimally for my system right? Double checked the speed of the RAM both 2x4gb (which i owned) and the one im gonna buy (1x8gb or 2x8gb) is at 1600MHz.

I already double check the specs for my mobo it says maxed at 32GB.

so a combination of 2x4gb + 2x8gb = 24gb should be fine right? I mean optimum?

i mainly use this PC for gaming, streaming, and working (office). 

It should, I'm using 48gb on computer typing this from, I have had no issues.  Windows detects all 48, I have had over 32 in use, so extra capacity does get utilized.

11 hours ago, Sophia_Borjia said:

Thanks for the info man, really helpful