Clarifications/PC build

jaredr2

Hi, I posted asking for PC that would work for gaming as well as schooling (I'm a computer science student). Right now, I have a dell optiplex 780 with dual monitors (I will be keeping the monitors, which have Display Port, VGA, and DVI connectors).

However, my budget recently increased to max $700, although my preference is $600-$650

This is the PC that i was recommended (by SavageNeo):

get the ryzen 5 1600 af (12nm version, partpicker does not have it listed)

Is there any changes I should make based on my new price range? I am in the US.

Also, can someone recommend tools I will need to build a PC? I have no tools whatsoever.

Here is the previous post for reference:

Thanks in advance!

it's ok

I'd spend a few dollars more on a motherboard that has heatsinks on the vrm (the chips between io shield and cpu socket) as that would give you better/easier overclocking and maybe 1-2 years from now you'll find a good deal on a used 10 core cpu and this board will work but struggle with such cpus.

These should be cheap but a bit better:

Amazon.com: ASRock B450M PRO4-F Socket AM4/ AMD Promontory B450/ DDR4/ Quad CrossFireX/ SATA3&USB3.1/ M.2/ A&GbE/MicroATX Motherboard: Computers & Accessories

Amazon.com: ASRock B450M PRO4 AM4 AMD Promontory B450 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard: Computers & Accessories

IF you can't find the above boards cheap, Gigabyte B450M dS3H at 73$ at newegg is still a much better value than the Asrock you were suggested.

GIGABYTE B450M DS3H AM4 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - Newegg.com

It has just a bit better VRM with heatsinks on it (not much better really but at least there's heatsink), you lose one vga output for the integrated graphics (but it doesn't matter to you as you'll use separate graphics card), but the motherboard has extra usb ports on the io shield and also has 2 pci-e x16 slots just in case you may want to add a second card in the pc (like a capture card or whatever)... and it also has 4 ram slots, in case you may want to upgrade memory later.

GIGABYTE B450M DS3H AM4 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - Newegg.com

That RAM is 75$ now at newegg., try these

68$ G.SKILL Aegis 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Memory Kit Model F4-3200C16D-16GIS - Newegg.com

69$ (sale) GeIL EVO SPEAR Phantom Gaming Edition (AMD) 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Desktop Memory Model GASF416GB3200C16ADC - Newegg.com

For SSD you could also do a bit better

70$ nvme (2.4 GB/s read, 1.75 GB/s write) but long ship time, try amazon and other places for this model: Western Digital Blue SN550 NVMe M.2 2280 500GB PCI-Express 3.0 x4 3D NAND Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) WDS500G2B0C - Newegg.com

70$ sata m.2 : WD Blue 3D NAND 500GB Internal SSD - SATA III 6Gb/s M.2 2280 Solid State Drive - WDS500G2B0B - Newegg.com

psu is ok, but meh, not sure if you have it already, some suggestions of cheap ones

65-67$ SeaSonic S12III 500 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (SSR-500GB3) - PCPartPicker

70$+ (semi modular) EVGA BQ 500 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply (110-BQ-0500-K1) - PCPartPicker

500w is enough, the 580's gonna be up to 250w, ryzen and rest up to 100w ... so 350w max.

Thanks for your reply! Can you also recommend tools I will need to build this? 

Thanks!

All you need is your hands and a standard Phillips (tip has basic X shape) screwdriver ...  even a flathead screwdriver or the tip of a knife would work but you risk it slipping and scratching stuff.

Some people also choose to use an antistatic wrist thing ... but note it's useless unless that wire it comes with is connected to a ground point (it can be the metal case of your computer, after you install the power supply to the case and connect the power cable between the power supply and a grounded outlet)

I don't bother, as I'm careful about how I'm holding components and I discharge myself periodically by touching something grounded. It's easy to discharge yourself, before touching parts.

To protect the components from static electricity, plug the power supply first in a grounded outlet, even if it's not installed on the case. Just plug the cable in outlet and in the psu and leave the psu on the desk you build the pc.

Before touching any computer part, touch the metal case of the psu with your fingers. IF you're charged with static electricity, the electricity will go from your fingers through the metal case of the power supply and then through the power cable into the earthing of your grounded outlet.