How to make nvme ssd my main drive

Hello. I'm planning to purchase the Samsung 970 Evo Plus nvme SSD real soon. I currently have a regular SSD as my main drive that I boot from. I also have a regular hard drive which is used for storage. I'd like to switch my main drive where I boot and have windows on to the new SSD I'm buying. I know Samsung has a cloning tool so I can move everything including windows from my current c drive to the new SSD but how would I go about actually making that the main drive and boot from it? I plan to leave the old SSD in to use for extra storage. I heard I might have to unplug it temporarily to force it to boot from the new SSD but I'd really prefer not to have to do that if I don't absolutely have to. I know it's probably simple but I'm still a little skittish messing around with wires. The computer I have is a pre built so I'm just trying to upgrade it a little bit, plan to get some new ram as well. My motherboard is the asrock b360m ib-r1 if that information helps.

3 minutes ago, Blkmild said:

Hello. I'm planning to purchase the Samsung Galaxy 970 Evo nvme SSD real soon. I currently have a regular SSD as my main drive that I boot from. I also have a regular hard drive which is used for storage. I'd like to switch my main drive where I boot and have windows on to the new SSD I'm buying. I know Samsung has a cloning tool so I can move everything including windows from my current c drive to the new SSD but how would I go about actually making that the main drive and boot from it? I plan to leave the old SSD in to use for extra storage. I heard I might have to unplug it temporarily to force it to boot from the new SSD but I'd really prefer not to have to do that if I don't absolutely have to. I know it's probably simple but I'm still a little skittish messing around with wires. The computer I have is a pre built so I'm just trying to upgrade it a little bit, plan to get some new ram as well. My motherboard is the asrock b360m ib-r1 if that information helps.

im pretty sure you have to plug both drives into a pc as secondary drives to clone them

also samsung galaxy drives??? das pretty good

34 minutes ago, ki8aras said:

im pretty sure you have to plug both drives into a pc as secondary drives to clone them

also samsung galaxy drives??? das pretty good

No I'm sorry! my phone must have auto corrected to add galaxy after samsung. I went back and edited it