Nvidia drivers HELL

dreamARTz

Hello dear friends,

I got issue with Dota 2 and CSGO related to what it seems Nvidia drivers. It doesn't seem to happen to non steam games (At least I was able to play 2 hrs consistently without crash).
Basically in the middle of DOTA2/CSGO game, I crash to desktop randomly without any error 5-30 min in game. Although .mdmp access violation file is created. Example of the file is attached. 

From file debug it seems that issue lies in nvwgf2umx.dll file which is related to nvidia drivers, I tried all solution found on google but nothing seem to work.

I noticed that during crash GPU usage spikes to 100+% (114% or so).

What I tried, unfortunately nothing helped:

-Did clean OS (win 10 64bit) install (completely wiping system SSD)
-Updated Win 10 to latest version
-Turning off virus protection and firewall
-Updated all drivers to latest
-Updated BIOS to latest version
-Unplugging all usb devices (except mouse and kboard)
-Tried 2 different Motherboards

- sfc /scannow

-All temps are fine (below 70 C)
-Tried different GPU
-Tried different set of RAM
-Ran both sets of RAM in Memtest86, no issues were found
-Stress tested CPU with CPU-z and GPU with FurMark, no issues found with hardware.
-Tried reinstalling GPU drivers using DDU from safe mode.

-Tried older versions of drivers
-Tried removing CPU OC and XMP profiles.
-NO other software that might conflict with game/drivers is installed for testing purposes, CCleaner, different overlays and etc, nothing.
-Tried my GPU on other system, no such issue so it seems more like software/driver issue.

My hardware:

CPU: i9 9900k
GPU: Evga Geforce 1080ti
MB: Aorus z390 Pro
RAM: DDR4 4x8 gb Hyperx Fury
PSU: Corsair RM850 (~6 yrs old)
Cooling: NZXT Kraken x62
2x SSD
2x HDD

I'm really desperate at this point, please help :(

dota2_2020_0426_152229_0_accessviolation.mdmp

20 minutes ago, dreamARTz said:

Hello dear friends,

I got issue with Dota 2 and CSGO related to what it seems Nvidia drivers. It doesn't seem to happen to non steam games (At least I was able to play 2 hrs consistently without crash).
Basically in the middle of DOTA2/CSGO game, I crash to desktop randomly without any error 5-30 min in game. Although .mdmp access violation file is created. Example of the file is attached. 

From file debug it seems that issue lies in nvwgf2umx.dll file which is related to nvidia drivers, I tried all solution found on google but nothing seem to work.

I noticed that during crash GPU usage spikes to 100+% (114% or so).

What I tried, unfortunately nothing helped:

-Did clean OS (win 10 64bit) install (completely wiping system SSD)
-Updated Win 10 to latest version
-Turning off virus protection and firewall
-Updated all drivers to latest
-Updated BIOS to latest version
-Unplugging all usb devices (except mouse and kboard)
-Tried 2 different Motherboards

- sfc /scannow

-All temps are fine (below 70 C)
-Tried different GPU
-Tried different set of RAM
-Ran both sets of RAM in Memtest86, no issues were found
-Stress tested CPU with CPU-z and GPU with FurMark, no issues found with hardware.
-Tried reinstalling GPU drivers using DDU from safe mode.

-Tried older versions of drivers
-Tried removing CPU OC and XMP profiles.
-NO other software that might conflict with game/drivers is installed for testing purposes, CCleaner, different overlays and etc, nothing.
-Tried my GPU on other system, no such issue so it seems more like software/driver issue.

My hardware:

CPU: i9 9900k
GPU: Evga Geforce 1080ti
MB: Aorus z390 Pro
RAM: DDR4 4x8 gb Hyperx Fury
PSU: Corsair RM850 (~6 yrs old)
Cooling: NZXT Kraken x62
2x SSD
2x HDD

I'm really desperate at this point, please help :(

dota2_2020_0426_152229_0_accessviolation.mdmp 2.5 MB · 1 download

Any game mods? Have you checked if it's the steam client that has broken settings?

Reminder⚠️

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

If you are using a EVGA SC2 there is not much headroom for clocks that allow the GPU to go over 100% on the power limit. 

On another system it would run at stock.

I left mine at stock. 

It could as be your PSU underperforming.

My Corsair 860 ran my GTX 1080 ti perfectly but is having issues with my 2080 ti. It shouldn't so I am replacing it with a 50% chance it is something else causing the issue.

Those are the breaks.

I have also had faulty PCIe cables come with a Corsair PSU so it might be a good idea to replace the one you have with others that came with you PSU.  

Another thing to do is use Nvidia debug mode.

debug.jpg.0db8f87a09b5b4648e644d995e60b57d.jpg

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

1 hour ago, Kanna said:

Any game mods? Have you checked if it's the steam client that has broken settings?

No. nothing, clean install default settings 

1 hour ago, jones177 said:

If you are using a EVGA SC2 there is not much headroom for clocks that allow the GPU to go over 100% on the power limit. 

On another system it would run at stock.

I left mine at stock. 

It could as be your PSU underperforming.

My Corsair 860 ran my GTX 1080 ti perfectly but is having issues with my 2080 ti. It shouldn't so I am replacing it with a 50% chance it is something else causing the issue.

Those are the breaks.

I have also had faulty PCIe cables come with a Corsair PSU so it might be a good idea to replace the one you have with others that came with you PSU.  

Another thing to do is use Nvidia debug mode.

debug.jpg.0db8f87a09b5b4648e644d995e60b57d.jpg

I was also thinking about PSU as it is the oldest piece of my build right now and the only thing that I didn't try swapping. Unfortunately I'm unable to test it with another PSU right now. Is it any other way to check if it's indeed faulty..?

edit: I'm not using any OC for GPU

58 minutes ago, dreamARTz said:

I was also thinking about PSU as it is the oldest piece of my build but right now and the only thing that I didn't try swapping. Unfortunately I'm unable to test it with another PSU right now. Is it any other way to check if it's indeed faulty..?

edit: I'm not using EVGA SC2 or any OC for GPU

Did you use the debug?

Remember, the driver is the messenger.  Just because the messenger is giving the error message which shuts down the program, it doesn't mean that the driver is the problem. (Although it could be.)

Usually, this points to hardware, but supposedly you've changed all that out - except for the power supply, which might maybe be the problem I guess.

Did you do a "clean install" of windows, or did you wipe the drive and start from scratch?  If don't want to erase your drives, simply disconnect them and install Windows and CSGO onto a clean 64 GB USB thumb drive and try running it off of that.  Don't transfer any files from the previous drives.  That should clear up whether software is the problem.

Are you using an AIO to cool your graphics card?

I'm assuming the CSGO forums are not being overwhelmed by people claiming Nvidia Drivers problems, so what you need to be looking at is - What does your system have that others don't have?

57 minutes ago, Hilltrot said:

Did you use the debug?

Remember, the driver is the messenger.  Just because the messenger is giving the error message which shuts down the program, it doesn't mean that the driver is the problem. (Although it could be.)

Usually, this points to hardware, but supposedly you've changed all that out - except for the power supply, which might maybe be the problem I guess.

Did you do a "clean install" of windows, or did you wipe the drive and start from scratch?  If don't want to erase your drives, simply disconnect them and install Windows and CSGO onto a clean 64 GB USB thumb drive and try running it off of that.  Don't transfer any files from the previous drives.  That should clear up whether software is the problem.

Are you using an AIO to cool your graphics card?

I'm assuming the CSGO forums are not being overwhelmed by people claiming Nvidia Drivers problems, so what you need to be looking at is - What does your system have that others don't have?

I format ssd drive before installing windows on it of course. 

My graphics card is stock evga 1080ti, not aio/liquid cooled https://www.evga.com/products/specs/gpu.aspx?pn=9fe1dfc9-f386-453b-b647-ff95dedf3db6
I tried to play dota2 without graphics card and I'm not getting any crashes so that's why I assumed it was Nvidia drivers.
Also tested my GPU on other PC, no such issues, also tested 1050ti on my build and it seems fine. 

The only thing I haven't tried is other PSU. Mine is almost 7 years old so I guess it can't handle 9900k + 1080ti but 9900k + 1050ti is fine? Although I think it should be ok as it's 850w Corsair RM, can it be sign of faulty PSU from old age?

12 minutes ago, dreamARTz said:

I format ssd drive before installing windows on it of course. 

My graphics card is stock evga 1080ti, not aio/liquid cooled https://www.evga.com/products/specs/gpu.aspx?pn=9fe1dfc9-f386-453b-b647-ff95dedf3db6
I tried to play dota2 without graphics card and I'm not getting any crashes so that's why I assumed it was Nvidia drivers.
Also tested my GPU on other PC, no such issues, also tested 1050ti on my build and it seems fine. 

The only thing I haven't tried is other PSU. Mine is almost 7 years old so I guess it can't handle 9900k + 1080ti but 9900k + 1050ti is fine? Although I think it should be ok as it's 850w Corsair RM, can it be sign of faulty PSU from old age?

I don't know.

But now you've said that the 1050ti worked fine which means that the drivers are likely fine.  It could be the graphics card.  The 1080ti itself could be the problem.

Try the 1080ti with a game other than CSGO and DOTA.  Something about the card might be failing.  Is it still under warranty?  You could send it back or ask EVGA about it.  Have a friend whose has a 1080ti.  Have them check out your card.

I don't think you've eliminated your card as the possible issue.

If you are concerned about the power supply, instead of running a game, download and run a stress test.  See if your power supply can handle the strain.

30 minutes ago, Hilltrot said:

I don't know.

But now you've said that the 1050ti worked fine which means that the drivers are likely fine.  It could be the graphics card.  The 1080ti itself could be the problem.

Try the 1080ti with a game other than CSGO and DOTA.  Something about the card might be failing.  Is it still under warranty?  You could send it back or ask EVGA about it.  Have a friend whose has a 1080ti.  Have them check out your card.

I don't think you've eliminated your card as the possible issue.

If you are concerned about the power supply, instead of running a game, download and run a stress test.  See if your power supply can handle the strain.

I've been running stress tests in FurMark on my PC and also tried my GPU on another PC, it performed with no errors in both cases that's why I think it's fine.  I just bought new PSU to test it, waiting for delivery. Even if it's not it,still time to change it I guess. GPU warranty expires in 1 week actually so still have some room for testing. Thanks for your time anyway ❤️

RMA'd the card, let's see if they find anything..