Keyboard recommendations?

MoVo

Hey everyone,

due to my increased PC usage thanks to work from home I'm looking into upgrading my keyboard. My current Logitech one did a good job for the last 6 years but its starting to really show its age.

Since I use it for work, I do a lot of text editing and programming on it, so typing is defnitly a focus for. But I also want to do some light gaming on it. I've never used a mechanical keyboard so I have absolutely no preference when it comes to switch types. My budget is 100-150€ (German prices; could be a bit more for Logitech thanks to student discounts). Some requirements and nice to haves would be

• Backlit (doesn't have to be RGB, plain white would be fine)
  • 10 key
  • Dedicated macro buttons (optional)

Unfortunately, I have no overview over the market whatsoever so when I was looking around on Amazon I was quite overwhelmed, so I maybe someone here can share some good recommendations.

I appreciate your help

47 minutes ago, MoVo said:

Hey everyone,

due to my increased PC usage thanks to work from home I'm looking into upgrading my keyboard. My current Logitech one did a good job for the last 6 years but its starting to really show its age.

Since I use it for work, I do a lot of text editing and programming on it, so typing is defnitly a focus for. But I also want to do some light gaming on it. I've never used a mechanical keyboard so I have absolutely no preference when it comes to switch types. My budget is 100-150€ (German prices; could be a bit more for Logitech thanks to student discounts). Some requirements and nice to haves would be

• Backlit (doesn't have to be RGB, plain white would be fine)
  • 10 key
  • Dedicated macro buttons (optional)

Unfortunately, I have no overview over the market whatsoever so when I was looking around on Amazon I was quite overwhelmed, so I maybe someone here can share some good recommendations.

I appreciate your help

If you’re after Macros I think the Logitech line would be a good starting point. Before you buy I’d recommend getting a set of switches like this:

Akwox 9-Key Cherry MX Switch Tester, Keycap puller, keyboard Keycap, O-Ring Sampler Tester Kit https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01GZHU1EG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_DkQOEbG89MBH1

Just to see if you like linear, tactile or clicky. 

Also are you doing more typing or gaming? Normally linear is better for gaming and the other 2 for typing. 

This one looks perfect but it’s €199 euros from Logitech. Dunno if you can get it cheaper elsewhere. 

https://www.logitechg.com/de-de/products/gaming-keyboards/g815-low-profile-rgb-mechanical-gaming-keyboard.html

EDIT: https://www.amazon.de/Logitech-GL-Tasten-Switch-programmierbaren-USB-Durchschleifung-Multimedia-Bedienelementen/dp/B07VTSZ63W/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=G815&qid=1587717224&sr=8-3

€144 I’d still recommend trying what switch you like best but that seems to cover your bases feature wise. 

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

I'm doing a lot more typing. Gaming is 10% of my time at the PC at max end even when I'm gaming, I'm only playing Minecraft or games like Cities Skylines, so nothing competetive.

I was looking into the Logitech G815 already, so I'm glad that you see it as a good choice. I think I'll get that testkit and see which switch type I prefer, I assume its going to be the tactile one, but I'll see.

1 minute ago, MoVo said:

I'm doing a lot more typing. Gaming is 10% of my time at the PC at max end even when I'm gaming, I'm only playing Minecraft or games like Cities Skylines, so nothing competetive.

I was looking into the Logitech G815 already, so I'm glad that you see it as a good choice. I think I'll get that testkit and see which switch type I prefer, I assume its going to be the tactile one, but I'll see.

Typing you will probably like tactile

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?