Arch Linux installation

Hi, trying to change to Arch. For some reason I am able to install the ISO on a VM suggesting it can't be an issue there. I am unable to install it on my main PC though. Used Rufus to boot to a USB with no issue, boot of USB but then during the installation it hangs at "Rebuild Journal install" assuming this is a BIOS issue, any idea what it is.

Specs:

Ryzen 3600x

AMD 5700

MSI B450M-A Max Pro

3 minutes ago, noxdeouroboros said:

Are you new to linux? Just curious.

@SauronMight be able to help you I think.

I am not new to using it, I am very much familiar with Ubuntu but not so much to Arch. Had enough of Windows and the bollocks that it ties with it and Ubuntu just has too much bloat.

9 minutes ago, mattonfire said:

I am not new to using it, I am very much familiar with Ubuntu but not so much to Arch. Had enough of Windows and the bollocks that it ties with it and Ubuntu just has too much bloat.

Arch is a pita to install. Are you following a guide or just blindly doing it?

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

16 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Arch is a pita to install. Are you following a guide or just blindly doing it?

Following a guide although it's not even difficulty getting to the install, it wont even boot from the live USB. Hangs at loading due to the message I said earlier, the fact it installs fine on a VM but not on my main PC must indicate the ISO is fine but there must be an issue somewhere in the BIOS.

9 minutes ago, mattonfire said:

Following a guide although it's not even difficulty getting to the install, it wont even boot from the live USB. Hangs at loading due to the message I said earlier, the fact it installs fine on a VM but not on my main PC must indicate the ISO is fine but there must be an issue somewhere in the BIOS.

Sounds like you messed up putting the ISO on your USB. How did you do it?

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

7 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Sounds like you messed up putting the ISO on your USB. How did you do it?

Rufus, I don't see how I could mess it up. Select device to be the USB. Select the ISO with the select button. Then simply click start, dont think I am messing it up.

7 minutes ago, mattonfire said:

Rufus, I don't see how I could mess it up. Select device to be the USB. Select the ISO with the select button. Then simply click start, dont think I am messing it up.

https://www.balena.io/etcher/

Try this, I had quite a few issues with rufus and linux iso's.

8 minutes ago, mattonfire said:

Use Etcher, that error you're getting has to do with your boot device, not your BIOS.

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

51 minutes ago, noxdeouroboros said:

49 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Use Etcher, that error you're getting has to do with your boot device, not your BIOS.

This was fixed by using etcher, thank you. It then required a bios update though followed by enabling virtualization for some reason but once again another issue. It hangs at create volitile files and directories. I thought it'd be due to information bring written to the USB from numerous attempts so I reflashdd it but same issue. This is exhausting ahah.

If you made it using etcher.

You might try another mirror for the iso. It sounds like a permission issue.

Otherwise you might try creating the usb drive with DD in another Linux install if you have say Ubuntu.

fdisk -l
dd if=path_to_iso of=path_to_device bs=3M; sync

You shouldn't need virtualization enabled unless you plan on using it for something.

8 hours ago, noxdeouroboros said:

Rufus is fine as long as its written in DD Mode For GPT and not the default options.