Trouble editing 4K but I shouldn’t be?

Hey Everyone,

I built a pretty powerful computer to do editing and gaming however my computer still chugs when editing 4K and I really feel like it shouldn’t. The 4K footage is from a DJI phantom 4 advanced. Yes I know h.265 from drones isn’t too compressed but I don’t understand why this is still happening

i have 32gb of dominator ram at 3000mhz

9900k and a 2080ti strix with 11gb of gpu ram..

what gives? Did I not set something up right? Do I really need to get an additional 32gb? For a total of 64gigs of ram?

thank you for your help! 

Samsung M.2 970 pro

16 hours ago, IntMD said:

What drive are you trying to edit the video on?

^

When editing in premiere specifically and playing things back is when it lags. 

I also have an MSI MPG Z390 gaming edge ac motherboard. I don’t think the Mobo would throttle anything though 

Am I wrong to think my machine can handle 4K ? I feel like it shouldn’t have a problem at all, or does everyone just make proxies? 

16 hours ago, computerbuilder1 said:

Am I wrong to think my machine can handle 4K ? I feel like it shouldn’t have a problem at all, or does everyone just make proxies? 

What software and what do you mean by "chugs"? The specs are enough, and not knowing where this issue occurs (I edit 1080p60 footage with way lower specs), hard to say if its settings, drivers or something else. Also looking at task manager for resource usage while issues happen is good way to start pinpointing issue.

From watching LTT videos when they benchmark servers etc. its usually the scrubbing part hogging most of the resources outside of rendering itself.

Oh, and please edit your posts. I've merged 4 posts.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

4 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

What software and what do you mean by "chugs"? The specs are enough, and not knowing where this issue occurs (I edit 1080p60 footage with way lower specs), hard to say if its settings, drivers or something else. Also looking at task manager for resource usage while issues happen is good way to start pinpointing issue.

From watching LTT videos when they benchmark servers etc. its usually the scrubbing part hogging most of the resources outside of rendering itself.

Oh, and please edit your posts. I've merged 4 posts.

Sorry about that! 

I’m using adobe premiere. In the settings I have the ram all focused on premiere. I drop the 4K footage on the time line and that’s when it hangs. The image freezes and the computer hangs when ever I play the time line and the cursor gets to the 4K footage. Sometimes if I scrub back and wait 5 seconds and then press play the 4K footage will play through without any stuttering but the computer will have to already have played through it acouple times

1 hour ago, computerbuilder1 said:

Sorry about that! 

I’m using adobe premiere. In the settings I have the ram all focused on premiere. I drop the 4K footage on the time line and that’s when it hangs. The image freezes and the computer hangs when ever I play the time line and the cursor gets to the 4K footage. Sometimes if I scrub back and wait 5 seconds and then press play the 4K footage will play through without any stuttering but the computer will have to already have played through it acouple times

Have you done anything to pagefile? That sure sounds like RAM or storage issue.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

49 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

Have you done anything to pagefile? That sure sounds like RAM or storage issue.

Page file is set to automatic, I think it’s currently at 4gbs.

In bios xmp is on and set to 3000mhz

my m.2 ssd has about 40gb of storage left. 

11 minutes ago, computerbuilder1 said:

Page file is set to automatic, I think it’s currently at 4gbs.

In bios xmp is on and set to 3000mhz

my m.2 ssd has about 40gb of storage left. 

I don't know if this will help, but try to set page file to manual, min 8gb, max 16gb. You can use another drive than SSD, Windows doesn't really care.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

16 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

I don't know if this will help, but try to set page file to manual, min 8gb, max 16gb. You can use another drive than SSD, Windows doesn't really care.

Awesome I’ll try that! 

1 hour ago, computerbuilder1 said:

Awesome I’ll try that! 

2 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

It helped alittle bit thank you.. Are there any settings I should check within my bios or windows?

5 minutes ago, computerbuilder1 said:

It helped alittle bit thank you.. Are there any settings I should check within my bios or windows?

Not that I'm aware of. I just know that Adobe is pretty picky about pagefile.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

2 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

Not that I'm aware of. I just know that Adobe is pretty picky about pagefile.

Perhaps 4k footage from cameras are easier handled than with drones.