Corsair TX 850M loud coil whine

Fuzzyy

So I have been using Corsair TX 850M PSU(2013) for 7 years now, and it has held up quite well to this day. Back in 2014, there was a coil whine issue when fan the PSU fan was idle, but instead of RMA ing it(stupid idea), I replaced the fan and it fixed the problem for good. I have built 3 different systems with this PSU and now I am using it with Ryzen 5 3600 & GTX 1080Ti OC. Anyways, when the system is under load, there is a loud coil whine coming from the PSU and GPU, BOTH! At first I tought it was only my GPU but when I put my head at the back of the PSU, it was there too, with the same high pitched frequency as GPU. In my previous system build with this PSU, my 5700XT had coil whine too. If I change my PSU will coil whine go away? I ditched my 5700XT for many reasons but coil whine was the nr.1 issue. Thanks for the help!

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X - GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 ULTRA - Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I - Ram: Corsair Vengance LPX 16GB @3200Mhz - CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L12S - PSU: Corsair SF600 Platinum - SSDs: WD Black SN750 500GB w/ EKWB Heatsink - Case: FormD T1

Laptop: 2020 M1 Macbook Air 8/256

5 hours ago, Descorator said:

Back in 2014, there was a coil whine issue when fan the PSU fan was idle, but instead of RMA ing it(stupid idea), I replaced the fan and it fixed the problem for good. 

Then it wasn't actually coil whine, was it?

5 hours ago, Descorator said:

At first I tought it was only my GPU but when I put my head at the back of the PSU, it was there too, with the same high pitched frequency as GPU. In my previous system build with this PSU, my 5700XT had coil whine too. If I change my PSU will coil whine go away? I ditched my 5700XT for many reasons but coil whine was the nr.1 issue. 

No guarantees.  But it's an old PSU. Might as well replace it.

43 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

Then it wasn't actually coil whine, was it?

No guarantees.  But it's an old PSU. Might as well replace it.

I think some component in the PSU was resonating with the coil in the PSU Fan. Or vice versa. I slapped a Noctua NF-P14 on it and it is doing good, never heating up. If I save up some money the first thing that I would do is replace my PSU...

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X - GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 ULTRA - Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I - Ram: Corsair Vengance LPX 16GB @3200Mhz - CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L12S - PSU: Corsair SF600 Platinum - SSDs: WD Black SN750 500GB w/ EKWB Heatsink - Case: FormD T1

Laptop: 2020 M1 Macbook Air 8/256

42 minutes ago, Descorator said:

I think some component in the PSU was resonating with the coil in the PSU Fan. Or vice versa. I slapped a Noctua NF-P14 on it and it is doing good, never heating up. If I save up some money the first thing that I would do is replace my PSU...

No.  The fan motor itself was going bad. 

At any rate.. Replace the PSU.  They're not supposed to be used that long.