Software replacement for live video switcher

Someone I know recently told me they were buying a Roland V-8HD video switcher for livestreaming concerts and such. I had never heard of video switchers before, and when he explained it to me, my immidiate response was: "Why don't you just use software?". He couldn't really explain why a hardware switcher is better, as he really isn't an expert on the field(to say the least). I'm certain you can do the same thing he explained(controlling output based on many(in this case 6-8) video scources), but I don't know of any specific programs that will do the job. Is there software that can make up for the lack of a hardware video switcher? If not, why not? I know there is software that can replace some of the functionality of a hardware switcher, what is the benefit of using one?

All answers are appreciated!

-> Moved to Programs, Apps and Websites

I guess this could go to photography and videofgraphy as well, so maybe another move coming.

Well, the first part is the fact that PCs don't have video inputs. If you work with screen capture and webcams, things are fairly easy to do with software. Same with multiple audio sources, if audio card has enough inputs or if audio sources use USB. But for multiple cameras you would need multiple input. So heavy duty capture card.

Now, capture cards have their limits, and ofc PC has limits. Professional grade capture card, like the one LMG uses for WAN Shows has up to 8 ports, and costs about $1k. The Roland is double that. But now the things to consider. Roland has also integrated audio mixing, filters, preview screen etc. Essentially does same in one small package for which you would need full PC.

I don't work for the business, so this part is speculation. Why hardware systems are better than software? Because they work, you have warranty for whole thing, not bits and parts as with PCs, they are modular, they just work, without needing for internet connection, OS updates, drivers and stuff like that.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv