New Headset

ThePointblank

I'm looking for a new headset after the mic on my old Corsair CA-HS1 crapped out, and no longer responds to input.

I've figured I'll get a new headset instead of doing something like attach a ModMic to the headset because the Corsair is just so old, has seen better days, and I can use an audio upgrade.

I'm looking at about a $150 CDN budget for one; what's my best option? Looking for something that's relatively comfortable, has a decent mic, and good audio quality. Don't really care about wireless, so it can be wired.

I got the sennheiser gsp300 on sale for 100 $ last year.  It sounds great and the michophone is probably ok cause I've never heard anyone telling me that they couldn't hear me.  I can compare it to only one other headset tho and it's the corsair void pro which sounded quite bad imo.  I don't know how the void pro would compare to the ca-hs1 honestly.

As for the size of it, the sennheiser is on the smaller size, it's adjusted at the biggest setting while the corsair void pro was close to the smallest setting.  It's comfortable and can accommodate glasses well.  They don't get too hot after long period of use. 

Honestly I wish I would have known mod mics before I bought those cause I don't use the microphone that often and I feel that it would be better if I had bought a good headphone and just added a mod mic or bought a stand alone mic like a yeti. 

I9 10850K

EVGA RTX 3080 TI FTW3 ULTRA

32 Gb Crucial Balistix ddr4 3600mHz 16-18-18-38

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

Fractal Design Ion+ 860W platinum

Arctic Liquid Freezer II, 360mm

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

TeamGroup L5 3D Lite 1 Tb sata SSD

Sennheiser pc37x is probably my favorite headset for strictly gaming  right now. $100 usd plus like $12 shipping should fall under $150 CAD. Another option may be the cooler master mh 751/752 both the mics on these headsets are pretty good for the price

2 minutes ago, ThePointblank said:

What are people's thoughts about the SteelSeries Arctis 5?

its ok, the mic isnt great and sound sint impressive but isn't bad for the price Im not mad at it.  has some good software, the build and comfort is pretty good as well if you can find it on sale it aint bad.

Any other suggestions? I forgot to mention I wear glasses, so comfort while wearing glasses is going to be a concern.

10 hours ago, ThePointblank said:

Any other suggestions? I forgot to mention I wear glasses, so comfort while wearing glasses is going to be a concern.

the sennheiser gsp 300 and corsair void pro are good with glasses. 

The 2018 roundup from hardware cannucks

The 2019 roundup

Also to help you chose open vs closed back

I would still look into headphone and mic combo

I9 10850K

EVGA RTX 3080 TI FTW3 ULTRA

32 Gb Crucial Balistix ddr4 3600mHz 16-18-18-38

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

Fractal Design Ion+ 860W platinum

Arctic Liquid Freezer II, 360mm

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

TeamGroup L5 3D Lite 1 Tb sata SSD

13 hours ago, ThePointblank said:

I also wear glasses I find the Sennheisers to be really comfortable overtime while the cooler master's are already comfortable from the get go

• 2 months later...

So, a quick update on my final decision.

I've elected to buy a headset and a mic separately. I'm picking up the Audio-Technica ATH-M40x headphones, coupled to the Antilion ModMic USB attachable microphone. Figured that I would rather have a good headset and a good mic separate in case one of them breaks, so a total replacement isn't going to be always necessary.

5 hours ago, ThePointblank said:

So, a quick update on my final decision.

I've elected to buy a headset and a mic separately. I'm picking up the Audio-Technica ATH-M40x headphones, coupled to the Antilion ModMic USB attachable microphone. Figured that I would rather have a good headset and a good mic separate in case one of them breaks, so a total replacement isn't going to be always necessary.

If comfort is an issue I would invest in better pads like hm5 angled pads