Dell optiplex 790 USB ESD issue

derole

Hello there! I recently replaced an old aging dell vostro with a much faster optiplex 790 and it's been fine for the most part. However I have a controller I use for certain games (acts like a keyboard and mouse for inputs). It works fine however I notice sometimes if I touch a metal part on the controller, I touch anywhere near any USB ports when plugging in a device, or sometimes just completely at random, the controller will cut out for a split second. While this wouldn't normally be an issue the game I use with it relies on binding to the device via rawinput (and no theres no option to change this) which means as soon as it disconnects (even for the tiny amount of time it does) I have to reboot the entire game and my controls freeze. This never happened with the old vostro and I would hate to have to scrap this pc since it's a fairly decent spec and technically still works (quad core i5 and GT 1030).

Things I've tried (In no specific order):

- Powered USB hub

- Re seating cables in the controller

- Unplugging everything but the controller

- Different USB cable

- Checked and turned off any power saving features in BIOS

- Turning off the "allow windows to turn off this device to save power" on all USB devices

While some of these would fix it temporarily it would only end in the problem just returning again a day later.

I've researched tonnes on this and honestly am stumped on how to fix it or if it's even possible to fix without scrapping the entire PC. The issue is extremely intermittent and sometimes the controller will work fine for hours which makes it hard to troubleshoot. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.