CPU UPGRADE

Hello! I am looking to upgrade my project pc’s cpu. It is a HP compaq 6005 sff with an athlon II b28 dual core. I picked it up working with windows 10 pro for 5 dollars. I searched up specs my my pc and the phenom II x6 1065t 95 watt. My motherboard has a limit of a 95 watt cpu and an am3 socket. On paper it seems this upgrade should work? Am I missing something? I’m a bit new to pc building and this website. I’m eager to learn more and carry on with this! 

How much ram does it have? I'm assuming it does not come with dedicated graphics. And how much are you looking to spend? 

Thank you for the reply! I have 12 gigs of 1333mhz ddr3. I've installed a graphics card. I wouldn't want to spend more than $50 on a decent cpu but if I can guarantee that the phenom would work, I would spend more. I've seen some online upwards to about $80. 

1 hour ago, Samuel751 said:

Thank you for the reply! I have 12 gigs of 1333mhz ddr3. I've installed a graphics card. I wouldn't want to spend more than $50 on a decent cpu but if I can guarantee that the phenom would work, I would spend more. I've seen some online upwards to about $80. 

Yup if the max limit on the mobo is 95w it should be perfectly fine with a 95w cpu. Basically you shouldn’t have problems unless you exceed the limit by a significant amount although on some motherboards u can actually exceed the rates tdp limit by 15W pretty. You might want to consider a better motherboard too if you can afford it. You can get an am4 motherboard for very cheap even if you buy it new and even less(<$30) if you opt for something used. If you indeed do so I will recommend that you change your CPU choice to a Ryzen 5 1600 AF which is almost 4x faster then the phantom which you could probably get for $<60 used and $85 brand new(comes with a cooler too). 

Also make sure ur psu can handle it. If u got it for $5 chances are the psu might not work at all or can’t support an upgrade. 

I have a similar ssf hp that came with an athlon 2 x2 b24 cpu ... I swapped it for a phenom 2 x4 b95 and it work really good for the 15 $ I spent.  I was afraid of compatibility issue with the phenom 2 x6 that's why I went with the b95 instead. 

I9 10850K

EVGA RTX 3080 TI FTW3 ULTRA

32 Gb Crucial Balistix ddr4 3600mHz 16-18-18-38

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

Fractal Design Ion+ 860W platinum

Arctic Liquid Freezer II, 360mm

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

TeamGroup L5 3D Lite 1 Tb sata SSD

Thanks for your guys input! Dr0y, what compatibility issues could there be with the x6? And how did the b95 turn out? I’ll take a look at AM4 motherboards too

3 hours ago, Samuel751 said:

Thanks for your guys input! Dr0y, what compatibility issues could there be with the x6? And how did the b95 turn out? I’ll take a look at AM4 motherboards too

I was afraid that the hp being a business computer it might restrict cpu support to business ones only.  I checked the compatibility list on hp and the b95 was the most powerful it would be compatible with but when I checked the chipset compatibility list the phenom2 x6 was in there so I went the safe way and got the b95.  It's a good cpu and does what I want really well.  Paired with an ssd the system is quite fast for web browsing and youtube stuff. 

I9 10850K

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

Do you think now that the x6 would have worked? 

no idea about it ... should test it to see if it works.  When I checked the x6 was close to 50$ cad and the b95 was about 15$ cad so I did not want to risk buying a 50$ cpu that might not work on my motherboard.  If the x6 had been also 15$ I would have tried it. 

I9 10850K

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd