CPU and motherboard upgrade

Hey guys!

So I'm currently planning an CPU upgrade for my desktop. Right now I'm using a Ryzen 7 1700 with a b350 tomahawk.

I was wondering if anyone would have any suggestions for what to do?

I'm mostly doing some gaming on my PC and this upgrade is to get ready for cyberpunkt 2077, for school related stuff i do some coding, some photoshop and maya 3D modelling. 

Mostly I'm wondering if I should just upgrade to an 3700x or 3800x and be done with it? Since I'm pretty sure I have a bios update which lets me use ryzen 3000 CPUs on my b350 tomahawk.

The other is that I wait for the Ryzen 4000 and buy a new motherboard when upgrading? Would that be worth it over my first choice? Or maybe there is even a third choice that I'm not aware of?

Thanks for the suggestions and stay safe in these times! :)

Ryzen 7 3700X for now is a great upgrade. Note that for the BIOS updates on older boards you usually have to do a sequence of two updates or so in order for the newest to work. We'll have to wait some months for 4000 series to hit the shelves so if you want more performance, best not to hold your breath.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

3 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

Ryzen 7 3700X for now is a great upgrade. Note that for the BIOS updates on older boards you usually have to do a sequence of two updates or so in order for the newest to work. We'll have to wait some months for 4000 series to hit the shelves so if you want more performance, best not to hold your breath.

So even if when the 4000 hits the shelves, it won't be "that" much better? 

2 minutes ago, Joey96 said:

So even if when the 4000 hits the shelves, it won't be "that" much better? 

On the contrary, it could offer a huge performance. We really don't know, but what we do know is that 3000 series offers quite the performance uplift from first gen. If you're curious you could wait until Q4 since it'll probably be released about then, but CP2077 is slated for September so if you want the performance beforehand then the 3700X is hard to complain about.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad