RX 580 Dead?

KSP

Hi guys,

So I’m trying to help troubleshoot my friend’s PC over text messages and I’m stumped. He has a cpu/mobo swapped prebuilt with a Ryzen 2700, ROG Strix B-450F motherboard, RX 580, a 1TB hard drive, a 2TB hard drive, and a semi modular power supply that he has no idea who the manufacturer is. We think the GPU is dead, because when he turns on the pc, it doesn’t light up and there’s no signal on the monitor.

He’s tried reseating the gpu, but it was to no avail. I told him to use a HMDI cable from his motherboard and connect it to his monitor, only then to remember that the 2700 doesn’t have integrated graphics. He can’t try a different power cable for the GPU because the prebuilt’s manufacturer only included the cables that were needed for the computer (there aren’t any spares). Is there anything else he can do to troubleshoot, or should he just call it and say the GPU is dead?

Riptide

Spoiler

| CPUi7 9700K @4.8GHz | Motherboard - ASUS ROG Maximus XI Code | Cooler - NZXT Kraken X52 | RAM - Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB @3600MHz | GPU - EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 Hybrid @2.1GHz | Storage - Samsung 960 Pro 512GB; Samsung 850 Evo 1TB; WD Black 2TB | Power Supply - EVGA G3 1000 Watt (with CableMod Cables) | Case - Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX TG (Anthracite Gray) | Case Fans - Too many Corsair ML120 Pro fans :P |

Peripherals

Spoiler

| Keyboard - Corsair K95 RGB Platinum with Cherry MX Brown switches | Mouse - Logitech G Pro + Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum | Audio - Sennheiser PC37X + GSX 1000 |

It could be. My RX 590 died and was shorting out the PSU, causing it to shut down to avoid damage so I couldn't turn the PC on. Try taking the GPU out and see if you can at least turn on the PC and have it light up. It will still boot up without a GPU even if it doesn't have integrated graphics. You just won't have any video output. If that doesn't work, then it's something other than the GPU causing the problem.

I mostly speak from my own past experience from similar problems. My solution may not work for you, but I'll always try my best to help as much as I can. If you want me to see your reply, make sure to quote my comment or mention me @WaggishOhio383, and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer RGB 16GB 3200MHz
120GB Crucial BX500 SSD + 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x

2 minutes ago, WaggishOhio383 said:

It could be. My RX 590 died and was shorting out the PSU, causing it to shut down to avoid damage so I couldn't turn the PC on. Try taking the GPU out and see if you can at least turn on the PC and have it light up. It will still boot up without a GPU even if it doesn't have integrated graphics. You just won't have any video output. If that doesn't work, then it's something other than the GPU causing the problem.

The rest of the computer does power on. So I guess it really is a gpu issue? It just doesn’t make sense why the GPU would die for no reason..

Riptide

Spoiler

| CPUi7 9700K @4.8GHz | Motherboard - ASUS ROG Maximus XI Code | Cooler - NZXT Kraken X52 | RAM - Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB @3600MHz | GPU - EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 Hybrid @2.1GHz | Storage - Samsung 960 Pro 512GB; Samsung 850 Evo 1TB; WD Black 2TB | Power Supply - EVGA G3 1000 Watt (with CableMod Cables) | Case - Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX TG (Anthracite Gray) | Case Fans - Too many Corsair ML120 Pro fans :P |

Peripherals

Spoiler

| Keyboard - Corsair K95 RGB Platinum with Cherry MX Brown switches | Mouse - Logitech G Pro + Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum | Audio - Sennheiser PC37X + GSX 1000 |

Didn't make sense for me either. Mine just randomly died as well. I managed to RMA mine and get a replacement. Hopefully your friend can as well. Is it an XFX RX 580 or is it a different brand? If it is an XFX, I can totally help if your friend has any questions as far as how to RMA the GPU and get a replacement.

I mostly speak from my own past experience from similar problems. My solution may not work for you, but I'll always try my best to help as much as I can. If you want me to see your reply, make sure to quote my comment or mention me @WaggishOhio383, and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x

9 minutes ago, WaggishOhio383 said:

Didn't make sense for me either. Mine just randomly died as well. I managed to RMA mine and get a replacement. Hopefully your friend can as well. Is it an XFX RX 580 or is it a different brand? If it is an XFX, I can totally help if your friend has any questions as far as how to RMA the GPU and get a replacement.

It’s an MSI card, and I believe it’s out of warranty anyways. I suppose it’s fine however, since he’d been wanting to upgrade for a while. Thank you for the help!

Riptide

Spoiler

Peripherals

Spoiler

No problem. If he really wants to be certain that it's the GPU causing the issue, and not the motherboard or the PSU, he could always test with a different GPU if you or someone else he knows has one he could borrow just to see if the computer boots with it inserted (this isn't a guaranteed way to test though as sometimes drivers can cause issues when inserting a different card and it won't boot anyway). I'm 99% sure it's the GPU though if it booted without it since this is the exact same thing that happened to me.

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x

1 minute ago, WaggishOhio383 said:

No problem. If he really wants to be certain that it's the GPU causing the issue, and not the motherboard or the PSU, he could always test with a different GPU if you or someone else he knows has one he could borrow just to see if the computer boots with it inserted (this isn't a guaranteed way to test though as sometimes drivers can cause issues when inserting a different card and it won't boot anyway). I'm 99% sure it's the GPU though if it booted without it since this is the exact same thing that happened to me.

I would totally let him borrow mine, but unfortunately he moved to Texas and I live in Tennessee. I don’t believe he knows anyone near him with a pc either. His motherboard has onboard troubleshoot LEDs, and it also indicates a problem with VGA card. So I think it’s safe to say the GPU is dead :/ .

Riptide

Spoiler

Peripherals

Spoiler

Yeah, I'd say it's safe to assume that as well.

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x

Hello, does your RX 580 have a BIOS switch?

5 hours ago, KSP said:

He can’t try a different power cable for the GPU because the prebuilt’s manufacturer only included the cables that were needed for the computer (there aren’t any spares)

What did you mean here? It is connected to the PSU right? How many watts is that PSU?

[H.A.N.D.] <^_^> - Have A Nice Day

Budget PC, my specs:
CPU: Ryzen 7 1700

GPU: Asus ROG Strix RX 580 8GB

RAM: 2x8GB DDR4 2666MHz @3000MHz

HDD: 1TB Seagate Barracuda

SSD: Kingston A4000 NVMe 256GB

4 hours ago, Yosuru said:

Hello, does your RX 580 have a BIOS switch?

What did you mean here? It is connected to the PSU right? How many watts is that PSU?

Not sure about the BIOS switch. I’ll ask him later.

Basically, the manufacturer of his pc (I believe Cyberpower), didn’t provide a second 8pin power cable, so he can’t swap out the cables to see if the previous cable was causing the issue.

Riptide

Spoiler

Peripherals

Spoiler

• 11 months later...
On 4/7/2020 at 6:22 PM, WaggishOhio383 said:

Hello, I’ve been been watching/subscribed to LTT former! Love it!

Ok, so I’ve worked at many shops, mom and pops, micro center as a tech and have my A+ and net+ Certs along with others that don’t pertain to this.

had to add history info because god this Ellsmere card from hell wrecked 3 mb and 1 psu  because I got lazy. I’ll get to what the problem was in the end right now. It was the Power Color RX 580 card. 

I should have realized that the power in to the gpu had burned thru only one of the cables to the front of the card not the back where you plug in the devices.

So I took it to a test bed and wired everything up and the led lighting flickered then off. No smell, no fire so I’m not convinced to RMA it, I’m just going to keep on trouble shooting. I think to myself ok 5e led came on and this test bed is of a mb of questionable nature and I put in another mother board and tried to turn it on and nothing. Cpu fan spinned like a few times fir 2 seconds and off. Was I don’t yet, nope...

I thought maybe the test bed power supply was possibly bad so I grabbed a 1000 watt fully modular with all the bells and whistles (only 80 gold not platinum Vega psu) and same thing. 

Had this wreck of a dell from like when pice had only been out for a few years. Older type ddr3 memory. Idk why I did this, maybe because I’m cheap or obsessive or maybe just bad at being a tech, it was my first job not current. So this is where I learned (my lesson). So plugged it in without gpu and everything is frosty, plugged in gpu, cpu fan spinner a few times only on a sec on 2 and splat, Getting 3 long beeps off the dell motherboard. So every time I turned it on it wrecked the motherboards and wrecked that 1000 watt psu. I spend 8 hours on this because the price of gpus are through the roof now and that’s prob why I went so far. 

I wrote all this in the hopes it helps out someone else before getting this far, the problem I read in this thread tho distant sounded could be on the same pattern as I saw. Anyways if you can rma the card just do it, if it flashes and blinks it isn’t supposed to do that so just RMA it and if it burns a wire in the wire harness it can’t automatically fit itself and yes it could be a bad cable (what I thought at 1st) but cables rarely ever fail. I didn’t smell any burning so I continued to troubleshoot. Idk if it’s just this card, it’s a sexy card with big fans and an awesome radiator on it and when it worked it worked great for what it was.

Again I hope my experience helps, I’m a bit rusty in the tech department but have a great base of experience to pull down ideas from. 

I’ve never had a card go past the psu protection and wreck and mb and psu. I wish I could send the motherboard and psu to someone and they could tell me what exactly happened. Old dell mobi and a asrock b450m pro4 and a b450 regular mobo and evga 1000 p2 psu all splat but within warranty.

I’ll be busy RMA’img the bad items, ones under warranty which is all but the old dell which I didn’t care if I fried. 

Cheers, and happy computering!

/cyber

ps: you all who watch LTT really, start hitting the 👍 like button... the views are way much more than the like. It’s good stuff, how’d you feel if LTT went away hmmm empty! Sorry just a quick PSA and pet peeve!