Singularity spectre build(need help)

I hope everyone has quarantined themselves and is staying safe.

Posting it here for more visibility.

Had started with singularity spectre build few months back.

Here's the link of the build log progress I've made till now

I thought I'd pose these questions and ask for suggestions

1. Should I plug this into a 2-pin W_IN header as shown below? The manual says the header is for monitoring the liquid cooling system.

Screenshot_20200405-103146_Drive.thumb.jpg.1ad7f4590ddab39a11687dfc8d62e440.jpg

Or plug into T_SENSOR1 which is meant for thermistor cable.

Screenshot_20200405-103242_Drive.thumb.jpg.98b6904f1db7cac21f3d1d5d4a1d6a6a.jpg

• Have two alphacool nexxos 360mm radiators(for top and front panel) which are to be cooled by Deepcool mf120 fans(Each box includes 3 fans. Each fan is controlled by a single fan controller powered by a SATA connector and a PWM header connector. The fan controller can connect up to 3 fans at once. Have box 2 boxes. One for each radiator. RGB illumination can only be controlled through an app over WIFI). Thought I'd connect two 4-pin PWM headers to ASUS MOBO's fan headers and control the fan speed through ASUS's fan expert 4 utility. These are the fan connectors.

Screenshot_20200405-103053_Drive.thumb.jpg.3b3d01a8fe168c70ed978d7dac9d2e29.jpg

1. Should I connect one pwm connector to CPU_FAN header and another one to any other one(like H_AMP_FAN or CHA_FAN1)? I have also seen MOBO throw up an error saying that "CPU fan is not detected" during tests. So, the CPU_FAN header needs to be occupied no matter what. 
  2. Or should I go with CHA_FAN1 and CHA_FAN2 which are meant for chassis fans.

1 hour ago, goofygc316 said:

Have a bitspower temp sensor stop fitting for monitoring the coolant's temperature. 

1. Should I plug this into a 2-pin W_IN header as shown below? The manual says the header is for monitoring the liquid cooling system.

Or plug into T_SENSOR1 which is meant for thermistor cable.

Yes W_IN or W_OUT are the right ones.

1 hour ago, goofygc316 said:

Should I connect one pwm connector to CPU_FAN header and another one to any other one(like H_AMP_FAN or CHA_FAN1)? I have also seen MOBO throw up an error saying that "CPU fan is not detected" during tests. So, the CPU_FAN header needs to be occupied no matter what. 

1. Or should I go with CHA_FAN1 and CHA_FAN2 which are meant for chassis fans.

Connect one PWM connector to CPU_FAN.

Connect the other connector either to CPU_OPT or one of the CHA_FAN headers (depending on how you want to connect other chassis fans, if any...).

If you have space connect the second set to CHA_FAN rather than CPU_OPT, since I am not sure the latter has dedicated control in BIOS (probably is just duplicating the settings of CPU_FAN)

If you want to go for CHA_FAN1 and CHA_FAN2 you should configure the BIOS first to avoid the MOBO throwing the error.

If I am not wrong is under Power, Hardware Monitor Configuration, you have something like "CPU Fan Speed -> Ignore"

Leave H_AMP_FAN for future expansions. It's a header that can supply more power for larger fans - not needed for you since the controller is providing power for the fans.

4 hours ago, Mamonos said:

Yes W_IN or W_OUT are the right ones.

Connect one PWM connector to CPU_FAN.

Connect the other connector either to CPU_OPT or one of the CHA_FAN headers (depending on how you want to connect other chassis fans, if any...).

If you have space connect the second set to CHA_FAN rather than CPU_OPT, since I am not sure the latter has dedicated control in BIOS (probably is just duplicating the settings of CPU_FAN)

If you want to go for CHA_FAN1 and CHA_FAN2 you should configure the BIOS first to avoid the MOBO throwing the error.

If I am not wrong is under Power, Hardware Monitor Configuration, you have something like "CPU Fan Speed -> Ignore"

Leave H_AMP_FAN for future expansions. It's a header that can supply more power for larger fans - not needed for you since the controller is providing power for the fans.

Thanks a lot for clearing that up. You've been a great help. Appreciate it

40 minutes ago, goofygc316 said:

Thanks a lot for clearing that up. You've been a great help. Appreciate it

Actually usually in BIOS W_IN and W_OUT are not accessible as a temperature input source to control fan speed (may differ for your board). If you want to control the fan speed of your system based on fluid temperature (which you should) then using T_Sensor will be much better as it can be used in BIOS as a input source.

Connect your D5 pwm connector to the CPU_FAN header, and all fans to CHA_FAN 1/2 or whatever, The CPU_FAN header can not be controlled by anything, but the CPU temps. The point of using water temp sensor is to get a fan curve based on coolant temp, not CPU or GPU.

As my personal opinion: ASUS Bios built in fan control is the worst one. It is best to get a AQUACOMPUTER QUADRO and use it as a fan controller. 

CPU: i7 8700K OC 5.0 gHz, Motherboard: Asus Maximus VIII Hero (Z170), RAM: 32gb Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200 mHz, GPU: Asus Strix OC gtx 1080ti, Storage: Samsung 950pro 500gb, samsung 860evo 500gb, 2x2Tb + 6Tb HDD,Case: Lian Li PC O11 dynamic, Cooling: Very custom loop.

CPU: i7 8700K, Motherboard Asus z390i, RAM:32gb g.skill RGB 3200, GPU: EVGA Gtx 1080ti SC Black, Storage: samsung 960evo 500gb, samsung 860evo 1tb (M.2) Case: lian li q37. Cooling: on the way to get watercooled (EKWB, HWlabs, Noctua, Barrow)

CPU: i7 9400F, Motherboard: Z170i pro gaming, RAM: 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200 mHz, GPU: Sapphire Vega56 pulse with Bykski waterblock, Storage: wd blue 500gb (windows) Samsung 860evo 500Gb (MacOS), PSU Corsair sf600 Case: Motif Monument aluminium replica, Cooling: Custom water cooling loop

2 hours ago, For Science! said:

Actually usually in BIOS W_IN and W_OUT are not accessible as a temperature input source to control fan speed (may differ for your board).

I guess you're right. From the screens available on the web, W_IN is available as input for the AI suite. But not for UEFI utility.Screenshot_20200407-192218_YouTube.thumb.jpg.698e22d0eb2a2e278d55feb22d68ddf3.jpg

So would you advise against using the AI suite and go for the BIOS fan control with T_Sensor for controlling temp?

I've seen a lot of people complain about bugginness of the suite.

13 minutes ago, goofygc316 said:

I frequently use Linux as a secondary OS, so control by Windows-only software is not an option for me. BIOS control is easy and applicable for all operating systems so is my preferred method. I find the control of fan speed by OS to be completely fine, and so personally do not recommend aquacomputer controllers unless you have a particular need for it that the BIOS cannot provide.

3 hours ago, MaratM said:

Connect your D5 PWM connector to the CPU_FAN header, and all fans to CHA_FAN 1/2 or whatever, The CPU_FAN header can not be controlled by anything, but the CPU temps

I'm a noob. Please let me know if I have understood this properly.

• Isn't the D5PWM connector meant for controlling the pump's RPM and ramping up the fluid flow based on temp? Would it serve any good if it's connected to CPU_FAN instead of the dedicated W_PUMP header on the MOBO?
3 hours ago, MaratM said:

It is best to get a AQUACOMPUTER QUADRO and use it as a fan controller. 

There are two out-of-the-box fan hubs provided by deepcool. Each controlling three fans. Quadro only differs with extra fan support and an inhouse temp sensor

11 minutes ago, For Science! said:

That makes sense. Thanks again. 

3 hours ago, For Science! said:

Actually usually in BIOS W_IN and W_OUT are not accessible as a temperature input source to control fan speed (may differ for your board). If you want to control the fan speed of your system based on fluid temperature (which you should) then using T_Sensor will be much better as it can be used in BIOS as a input source.

That is indeed correct, did not know that :)

41 minutes ago, goofygc316 said:

I guess you're right. From the screens available on the web, W_IN is available as input for the AI suite. But not for UEFI utility.

So would you advise against using the AI suite and go for the BIOS fan control with T_Sensor for controlling temp?

I've seen a lot of people complain about bugginness of the suite.

Well I woudl say this is personal. I use the BIOS to control fan. It's fine for me, I do not have super-complex curves or other requirements.

I personally do not like AI suite, and in general I do not like that kind of programs that run at startup and in the background

Also, in addition to the reason stated by "For Science!", even with a single OS you don't have to save and recall your settings if you decide to format the computer or something similar.

I adjust the fan speed using a tool created by a user of the forum, it's very simple but functional and lightweight. Check it out

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1099996-openfancontrol-my-take-on-a-speedfan-replacement/

I monitor with HWinfo and compare speeds, cooling performance, and noise. When I am satisfied with my findings I close the software and adjust in the BIOS accordingly.

---

A note on the pump: if it's good and the loop is not super complex, the flow rate not matter that much after a certain point. From my tests I found out that most pumps works perfectly fine even at 50% or below, above that there is really little to no difference in terms of cooling performance. I have mine around those values because it's the least annoying sound-wise. I ramp it up to 100% occasionally (e.g. if I am afk and the PC is doing intensive work).

The main reason why I moved to aquaero from simple bios settings is because if i connect the pump as cpu fan it can not be set to anything below 100% at 75-80c if I OC my 8700k to 5 ghz it rump up the pump to full blast any time when it’s gets a heavy load. And it is very annoying to hear the d5 whining at full speed. With aquaero I can set up a desired fan curve for pump or fans.

also deep cool fan splitters are the fan splitters nothing more, they can not do anything with fan speed. On the other hand quadro or aquaero can control the fans and you can connect up to 2amp to each fan header and it is usually plenty for 3 fans.

also once all the fan curves are set up in the aquacomputer software the controller can work on its own without any software.

CPU: i7 8700K OC 5.0 gHz, Motherboard: Asus Maximus VIII Hero (Z170), RAM: 32gb Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200 mHz, GPU: Asus Strix OC gtx 1080ti, Storage: Samsung 950pro 500gb, samsung 860evo 500gb, 2x2Tb + 6Tb HDD,Case: Lian Li PC O11 dynamic, Cooling: Very custom loop.

CPU: i7 8700K, Motherboard Asus z390i, RAM:32gb g.skill RGB 3200, GPU: EVGA Gtx 1080ti SC Black, Storage: samsung 960evo 500gb, samsung 860evo 1tb (M.2) Case: lian li q37. Cooling: on the way to get watercooled (EKWB, HWlabs, Noctua, Barrow)

CPU: i7 9400F, Motherboard: Z170i pro gaming, RAM: 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200 mHz, GPU: Sapphire Vega56 pulse with Bykski waterblock, Storage: wd blue 500gb (windows) Samsung 860evo 500Gb (MacOS), PSU Corsair sf600 Case: Motif Monument aluminium replica, Cooling: Custom water cooling loop

Ok. 

17 hours ago, For Science! said:

16 hours ago, Mamonos said:

To conclude for setting up speed profiles

• Water temp sensor connector
  1. Connect to T_SENSOR to use as an input source in BIOS utility as you don't have to worry about resetting in case of system format or multi-boot options.
  2. Or connect to W_IN to use as an input source in AI suite and risk dealing with it.
  • 2 Fan Hub PWM connectors
  1. Connect to CPU_FAN and CHA_1/2 if the pump is connected to W_PUMP.
  2. Or connect to CHA_1/2 if a) pump is connected CPU_FAN b) connected to W_PUMP and configure the BIOS to not detect the CPU_FAN.
  • D5 pump PWM connector
  1. Connect to CPU_FAN 
  2. Or W_PUMP and configure the BIOS to not detect the CPU_FAN.

Thanks for your inputs.

12 minutes ago, goofygc316 said:

-

Sounds good to me. I would indeed recommend plugging the D5 pump into the CPU_FAN header as well since the CPU_FAN header is special in that it can trigger a CPU_FAN error if it were to detect no RPM signal. A dead pump is a critical failure for a waterloop and is something you definitely want to detect and have the PC shutdown and/or not boot up if it were to occur, so by plugging the D5 into the CPU_FAN header if/when the pump the dies, you will know as the PC will be protecting itself. A dead fan on the otherhand is less consequential (since you probably have multiple) and is also much easier to see visually (assuming you have a window) if it had died.

This of course assumes the D5 pump has a seperate power inlet (i.e. Molex or SATA power) since I don't believe the fan header has enough amperage to fully power a D5, but to my knowledge there are no D5's out there designed to be powered by the fan header.

Also if you connect the pump to the cpu-fan header set the fan curve as flat as possible around 40-50% If you can keep it flat above 85-90c you are fine, if the bios fan control will not let you do it, you might have a very annoying pump noise under heavy load (also depends on your cpu oc, probably it can run at 70c under load unless it is a 18 core beast of cpu at 5ghz). The noise happens only then d5 rumps up to its max speed. 

57 minutes ago, MaratM said:

-

While I mentioned my dislike of AI suite earlier, just thought I'd mention that when I am in Windows I do use it as it can bypass the 85 degree limit in software, but otherwise the settings I implement are the same as in BIOS.