Upgrade Recommendations

Hi all.

New to these here forums, so I hope I'm posting in the correct area.

I need some help from those who know. What would you recommend I get to upgrade my current rig for gaming and perhaps video editing.

I'm currently running a AMD FX6300 with a MSI  Geforce GTX 960 GPU. Gigabyte 990x-SLI MOBO. I know if I want to run current gen hardware then I'm going to need the equivalent of a new PC.

Ideally I want to be running pretty much gold standard hardware in terms of gaming. I was considering getting a Ryzen 3600x with a 2080 TI. But something tells me that's not optimal/waste of money.

Thanks in advance.

12 minutes ago, ITCnewb said:

Hi all.

New to these here forums, so I hope I'm posting in the correct area.

I need some help from those who know. What would you recommend I get to upgrade my current rig for gaming and perhaps video editing.

I'm currently running a AMD FX6300 with a MSI  Geforce GTX 960 GPU. Gigabyte 990x-SLI MOBO. I know if I want to run current gen hardware then I'm going to need the equivalent of a new PC.

Ideally I want to be running pretty much gold standard hardware in terms of gaming. I was considering getting a Ryzen 3600x with a 2080 TI. But something tells me that's not optimal/waste of money.

Thanks in advance.

The 3600x and the 2070 super are a lot better ways to spend your money, and If you want future-proofing, get a 3700x. If you want overclocking, then get a beefy air cooler or aio. Remember you need a new motherboard if you want to do this. Spending your money more wisely (than on a 1000+ USD gpu)  I'd recommend you just go with a 3600x with an aftermarket air cooler and aftermarket 2070 super with a new pc to go along. 

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

Motherboard Tier List                   How many watts do I need?
Best B550 Motherboards             Best Intel Z490 Motherboards

PC Troubleshooting                      You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List                                Common pc building mistakes 
PC BUILD Guide! (POV)              How to Overclock your CPU