Laptop

Hi there, so I am going to study cs next semester and I am looking for a laptop to work on... I already thought on buying a t440p and upgrading it... But i am not entirely sure about that... If it's a new laptop my budget will be max 600 euros, the size does not matter. I will be only using it to get work done... Maybe play some minecraft on the go and watch some anime but it's not the main reason.

I am sorry for my bad English skills. 

Thx for your time, borrpvp. 

19 minutes ago, Borrpvp said:

Hi there, so I am going to study cs next semester and I am looking for a laptop to work on... I already thought on buying a t440p and upgrading it... But i am not entirely sure about that... If it's a new laptop my budget will be max 600 euros, the size does not matter. I will be only using it to get work done... Maybe play some minecraft on the go and watch some anime but it's not the main reason.

I am sorry for my bad English skills. 

Thx for your time, borrpvp. 

Cs is a wide and varied field.  The conventional wisdom for college in general is just get a mac. It has a wider variety of OSes it can run, is built ruggedly, and has minimum shortcomings, though also fewer extreme advantages.  A generalist machine.  One worth having is over budget though.

It sounds initially like you would have little use for a discrete gpu, or even a lot of cpu power.  There are several sections of cs that need almost no horsepower.  That may not be for everything though, because some discrete GPUs can do complicated math.  Many can’t though and the ones that can are often pricey.  They may be out of budget.  

If you know what college you are attending and have been accepted, calling the specific school, and finding out what the hardware requirements are for the classes you will be taking could be helpful.  That way you could do some optimization.  Lacking that though, something shorter on power but longer on ruggedness might be a good choice.  Predicting the future is hard and doesn’t work well.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

29 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Cs is a wide and varied field.  The conventional wisdom for college in general is just get a mac. It has a wider variety of OSes it can run, is built ruggedly, and has minimum shortcomings, though also fewer extreme advantages.  A generalist machine.  One worth having is over budget though.

It sounds initially like you would have little use for a discrete gpu, or even a lot of cpu power.  There are several sections of cs that need almost no horsepower.  That may not be for everything though, because some discrete GPUs can do complicated math.  Many can’t though and the ones that can are often pricey.  They may be out of budget.  

If you know what college you are attending and have been accepted, calling the specific school, and finding out what the hardware requirements are for the classes you will be taking could be helpful.  That way you could do some optimization.  Lacking that though, something shorter on power but longer on ruggedness might be a good choice.  Predicting the future is hard and doesn’t work well.

Thx for the quick reply. 

I have been talking to friends who attend the same course, it's university of Minho (engenharia informatica - the actual course) and they say that for the 3 years degree I can use almost anything, it just varies in the masters, and even if u don't have the right one for the masters you choose, that you can use the university servers... Actually I really don't know how that works... I am kinda new to this tech world. 

1 hour ago, Borrpvp said:

Thx for the quick reply. 

I have been talking to friends who attend the same course, it's university of Minho (engenharia informatica - the actual course) and they say that for the 3 years degree I can use almost anything, it just varies in the masters, and even if u don't have the right one for the masters you choose, that you can use the university servers... Actually I really don't know how that works... I am kinda new to this tech world. 

Perhaps email the professors. They’re the ones that controls the requirements after all. If “anything works” I suspect processor requirements are very low and skewing towards case/peripheral quality and ruggedness might be in order.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.