Budget Pc build help

Howdy! i was hoping to help my friend build a "gaming" pc but i'm very rusty :P 

He wanted to buy this dell refurb ↓↓↓↓↓↓↓ and i told him he could build a better pc for the same or less!

https://www.dellrefurbished.ca/desktop-computers/dell-alienware-aurora-r5-286692.html

I think a responsive pc is most important long term he doesn't need to run crysis on ultra but he plays mobas and arpg games mainly maybe some mmorpgs

So the budget is 759 Canadian pesos.

My idea was a

CPU: ?? Pretty equal nowdays no?

MOBO: Compatible ^ :P

Ram: 16gb+ 

GPU: I'm at  a loss for graphic cards

Psu: I'im a strong believer in seasonic power supplies :D so if thats included it would be great.   

Strg: thinking NVME 500gb~

Case: This is personal preference so ill let him pick out a compatible case once everything else is set so knock 50 bucks off that budget

My build idea:

Will edit once im done :D

The Ryzen 3600 is a good budget CPU option.

Just now, Jandori said:

The Ryzen 3600 is a good budget CPU option.

I'm a bit confused on the board options apparently the b450s need a upgrade which requires an old cpu?

I would suggest a Ryzen 1600AF, but I'm not sure if that's available to you in Canada and how much you'd save over a 2600. It's basically the same CPU. If you can get it cheaper than the 2600 I'd go for that one instead. 

Only thing that's a bit underpowered here could be the GPU, but that's the best I can come up with regarding the budget for now. If you can find a good deal on a used RX580 (preferably 8GB) that'd be great. 

10 minutes ago, ShinRamen said:

I would suggest a Ryzen 1600AF, but I'm not sure if that's available to you in Canada and how much you'd save over a 2600. It's basically the same CPU. If you can get it cheaper than the 2600 I'd go for that one instead. 

Only thing that's a bit underpowered here could be the GPU, but that's the best I can come up with regarding the budget for now. If you can find a good deal on a used RX580 (preferably 8GB) that'd be great. 

Thanks! Yea it seems hard to blow the refurb out of the water with the Canadian dollar:(  the only real benifit is being brand new i think it still trade blows with the refurb

So here is my recommendation and a short explanation:

To match that Dell refurb I am going with an AMD Ryzen 2600 with 16 GB SD-DDR4 3200 MHz from G.Skill.

The 2600 will match and outperform that i7-6700K in most instances.

For graphics I went with a GTX 1660 from EVGA that will easily crush that old GTX 970 while drawing less power. Speaking of, I've included a Seasonic 750 Watt 80+ Gold PSU. While your system would be fine with 450 to 500 Watts of power, the extra headroom will come in handy once the system will be upgraded later and you also get a pretty decent warranty as well.

Now with PC cases one must be careful when on a budget because a low end case may not include enough fans too keep temperatures in check or low enough for both, GPU and CPU. That's why I went with the little thermaltake cube case. It's front 200 mm fan will provide good airflow over the motherboard and to the GPU. Additionally the case can later support AIOs and custom watercooling alike.

As for your price, the Canadian Rupie is terrible at the moment so getting something at that specific price point is pretty hard. This way at least you will get new parts with full warranty and the option to upgrade later.

At time of writing this build will be just shy of 1100 Canadian Yuan. 😭

Of course you could go with slightly cheaper parts but I firmly believe in giving the best advice I can and the same goes for my build recommendations. In the end it's up to you if you need to match the performance of a 6700K anyways and if maybe you could do with a 256 GB NVME instead.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($125.98 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 AORUS M Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($85.99 @ B&H) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($74.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Crucial P1 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($69.95 @ Adorama) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1660 6 GB BLACK GAMING Video Card  ($193.98 @ Newegg) 
Case: Thermaltake Core V21 MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($76.98 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($119.99 @ B&H) 
Total: $747.86

18 minutes ago, Applefreak said:

So here is my recommendation and a short explanation:

To match that Dell refurb I am going with an AMD Ryzen 2600 with 16 GB SD-DDR4 3200 MHz from G.Skill.

The 2600 will match and outperform that i7-6700K in most instances.

For graphics I went with a GTX 1660 from EVGA that will easily crush that old GTX 970 while drawing less power. Speaking of, I've included a Seasonic 750 Watt 80+ Platinum PSU. While your system would be fine with 450 to 500 Watts of power, the extra headroom will come in handy once the system will be upgraded later and you also get a pretty decent warranty as well.

Now with PC cases one must be careful when on a budget because a low end case may not include enough fans too keep temperatures in check or low enough for both, GPU and CPU. That's why I went with the little thermaltake cube case. It's front 200 mm fan will provide good airflow over the motherboard and to the GPU. Additionally the case can later support AIOs and custom watercooling alike.

As for your price, the Canadian Rupie is terrible at the moment so getting something at that specific price point is pretty hard. This way at least you will get new parts with full warranty and the option to upgrade later.

At time of writing this build will be just shy of 1100 Canadian Yuan. 😭

Of course you could go with slightly cheaper parts but I firmly believe in giving the best advice I can and the same goes for my build recommendations. In the end it's up to you if you need to match the performance of a 6700K anyways and if maybe you could do with a 256 GB NVME instead.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($125.98 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 AORUS M Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($85.99 @ B&H) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($74.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Crucial P1 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($69.95 @ Adorama) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1660 6 GB BLACK GAMING Video Card  ($193.98 @ Newegg) 
Case: Thermaltake Core V21 MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($76.98 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($119.99 @ B&H) 
Total: $747.86

What do you think of getting a better cpu with integrated graphics Ryzen 5 3400g and adding a gpu at a later date?

Yeah sure, that would work. You just need to scale down your expectations when it comes to playing games. Battlefield 3 for example at medium settings runs pretty well.