GPU memory error after OC

Dipypang
Go to solution Solved by trevb0t,
3 minutes ago, Dipypang said:

Yes. Is it ok? Is there anyway to make it back to 7000mhz...

You could mess with bios settings, or keep playing with overclocking. I wouldn't bother, though.

The 2070S should be plenty of card for just about any modern gaming task, and again, you're looking at around a 2.5% performance dip from the VRAM... I wouldn't guess that that even calculates in a full single frame per second difference. 

I recently tried to OC my GPU EVGA RTX 2070 SUPER FTW3 Ultra. After that I set to default then the error occurred. The default memory should be 7000mhz. But after i run games, it will fall to 6801mhz and stays there. What should I do to make it back stable at default 7000mhz?

or is it damaged because of the OC?

13 minutes ago, Dipypang said:

I recently tried to OC my GPU EVGA RTX 2070 SUPER FTW3 Ultra. After that I set to default then the error occurred. The default memory should be 7000mhz. But after i run games, it will fall to 6801mhz and stays there. What should I do to make it back stable at default 7000mhz?

or is it damaged because of the OC?

To clarify: It's still fully operational, but it's just 199mhz short of peak performance?

Frankly at stock settings, it wouldn't surprise me if VRAM often operates ~2.5% less than full efficiency. (And that's about what you're looking at.)

It would surprise me more to learn the RAM ever operates at exactly the advertised speed, since often the advertised frequency/capacity values are rounded figures.

what program are you running to overclock? and did you run gpuz to make sure the oc program isn't displaying the speed wrong? also i highly doubt you damage the card, especially since its running fine?

5 minutes ago, trevb0t said:

To clarify: It's still fully operational, but it's just 199mhz short of peak performance?

1 minute ago, bmx6454 said:

what program are you running to overclock? and did you run gpuz to make sure the oc program isn't displaying the speed wrong?

precision x1. Yes they display the same number

3 minutes ago, Dipypang said:

You could mess with bios settings, or keep playing with overclocking. I wouldn't bother, though.

The 2070S should be plenty of card for just about any modern gaming task, and again, you're looking at around a 2.5% performance dip from the VRAM... I wouldn't guess that that even calculates in a full single frame per second difference. 

like go run a game, and look at your afterburner stats. You system RAM is never going to say exactly the number it came advertised at. It's an approximated figure. VRAM likely works the same way.

44 minutes ago, trevb0t said:

When I first boot up the pc, it starts at 7001mhz. But as soon as I run a game, it instantly dropped to 6801mhz. As you said it’s normal for around 2.5% performance dip for that, so I guess it’s not a problem then...

thanks for the information guys, now I can rest assured.