What cpu do i get and what ram speed is perfect?

Hello guys,

At this point in time with the lockdown i decided to finally upgrade my pc. I have an rtx 2080, i7 6700, 16GB 2133MHz and a very cheap old motherboard.

Now it's very obvious that my GPU is being bottlenecked, and i am definitely noticing this in my gaming sessions.

For this upgrade i'm planning to buy a Ryzen 7 3700X, 16GB 3600MHz and a Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite.

My question i've been stuck with the last week is if this really is a good choice with my limited budget. I would like to reach that 144fps on most games, and am fine with having 60 on demanding ones, which i know my GPU can do.

Are there any changes i need to make or buy a 3200MHz ram, or even go for the i7 9700k which is 120$ more expensive in my country.

Thanks for reading! I really appreciate any help since i am not all too known with pc parts.

I am not a guru with which processor is best for what thing...  There are lots of videos actually testing the Ryzen 7 3700X with the I7-9700K.  Those tests I have seen show them comparible.    So if you are on a  limited budget then I would go with the Ryzen 7 3700X with 3600 mHZ ram (if possible).  You can go with 3200 Mhz ram if that fits in your budget.

Here is a good video to watch -

If you are on a budget that's not a problem at all! I looked back at your other posts and you have an i7 6700 right? Well, that CPU is worth $180-200 USD on the used market so sell it and suddenly your budget is a lot bigger. 16gb of Ddr4 2133 also can probably get sold for $40-50 as well.

Now upgrading you really have 3 good paths: 

Ryzen 3600

Ryzen 3700x

I7 9700k

Of the 3 I'd say the best value for the money is the Ryzen 3600. It's $175, it's cheap, and it's great for gaming. The Ryzen 3700x is $300. $125 price difference for 2 cores/4 threads on the same architecture. Doesn't make much sense. You can upgrade in a year or two to something better if you save $125 and get the 3600 for now. 

The 9700k is great for gaming, terrible for everything else. It's hot, it's expensive and unless someone says they play games like iRacing or VR that are heavily single thread dependant it's really not a great idea. 

As for your motherboard, just get an ASRock ab450pro4 or another decent $75 b450 board. X570 isn't worth the extra price for most people.  Yes the boards are better but you are talking an overclock difference of 100mhz with the 6 and 8 core CPUs. It doesn't really matter until you jump up to the 12/16 core CPUs and even then cheap boards are sometimes fine. 

With Ram just get a 3200 (cl16 or better) or 3600mhz (lower timings are better but whatever will be ok) kit that is listed as compatible on the website of the motherboard you buy. It's a lot less hassle to buy ram that is fully supported by your board than not when you are buying new anyways. 

8 hours ago, PyroTheWise said:

So if you are on a  limited budget then I would go with the Ryzen 7 3700X with 3600 mHZ ram (if possible).  You can go with 3200 Mhz ram if that fits in your budget.

I my country the price difference between 3600MHz and 3200MHz is very low and i will choose the 3600MHz i think.

Thanks for your reply!

7 hours ago, toasty99 said:

If you are on a budget that's not a problem at all! I looked back at your other posts and you have an i7 6700 right? Well, that CPU is worth $180-200 USD on the used market so sell it and suddenly your budget is a lot bigger. 16gb of Ddr4 2133 also can probably get sold for $40-50 as well.

That is indeed what i all have, but i am not planning on selling these and instead build it back together with my old GTX 970 and give it away.

Of the 3 I'd say the best value for the money is the Ryzen 3600. It's $175, it's cheap, and it's great for gaming. The Ryzen 3700x is $300. $125 price difference for 2 cores/4 threads on the same architecture. Doesn't make much sense. You can upgrade in a year or two to something better if you save $125 and get the 3600 for now. 

Are you sure this cpu will be able to fulfill my GPU in gaming. I also program form time to time, i might need a good cpu to run tests. I am having a set budget i don't want to go over but i also don't want to go under to cheap out. Is this downgrade really that tiny?

As for your motherboard, just get an ASRock ab450pro4 or another decent $75 b450 board. X570 isn't worth the extra price for most people.  Yes the boards are better but you are talking an overclock difference of 100mhz with the 6 and 8 core CPUs. It doesn't really matter until you jump up to the 12/16 core CPUs and even then cheap boards are sometimes fine. 

I'm probably going to upgrade within a few years normally. So are you sure a b450 board is gonna be able to support these upgraded cpu's? I also really like to have a Motherboard that i know is pretty good together with my other parts.

Thank you for your reply too!

These three parts cost 640$ in my country, and i would like to not go over 800$

51 minutes ago, Dafuuq said:

I my country the price difference between 3600MHz and 3200MHz is very low and i will choose the 3600MHz i think.

Thanks for your reply!

That is indeed what i all have, but i am not planning on selling these and instead build it back together with my old GTX 970 and give it away.

Are you sure this cpu will be able to fulfill my GPU in gaming. I also program form time to time, i might need a good cpu to run tests. I am having a set budget i don't want to go over but i also don't want to go under to cheap out. Is this downgrade really that tiny?

I'm probably going to upgrade within a few years normally. So are you sure a b450 board is gonna be able to support these upgraded cpu's? I also really like to have a Motherboard that i know is pretty good together with my other parts.

Thank you for your reply too!

These three parts cost 640$ in my country, and i would like to not go over 800$

The 3600 is just significantly cheaper than a 3700x. It's a downgrade but not a massive one. For games it will handle them just fine. In a year or two you can just upgrade to a 3700x without replacing any other parts. The price will be a lot closer between the two by then. 

B450 boards will probably support Ryzen 4000 but no one really knows yet. Past that AMD is/was rumored to be using a new socket starting in 2021. Most B450 boards are almost all good up until 8 core CPUs. Though some are better than others and there is an entire thread on that stickied here. Just don't buy a total junk one.

12 hours ago, toasty99 said:

The 3600 is just significantly cheaper than a 3700x. It's a downgrade but not a massive one. For games it will handle them just fine. In a year or two you can just upgrade to a 3700x without replacing any other parts. The price will be a lot closer between the two by then. 

I would like to be set with this setup for at least 5 years, that's why i bought the rtx 2080. Are you really sure that the Ryzen 5 3600 will be able to handle all games with the rtx 2080. I have been bottlenecked for the last two years and i am very scared to have a bottleneck once again. I do NOT want to upgrade in the next 2-3 years.

12 hours ago, toasty99 said:

B450 boards will probably support Ryzen 4000 but no one really knows yet. Past that AMD is/was rumored to be using a new socket starting in 2021. Most B450 boards are almost all good up until 8 core CPUs. Though some are better than others and there is an entire thread on that stickied here. Just don't buy a total junk one.

I have found a 450 board that looks promising to me. It's the Asus ROG Strix B450-F Gaming. Is this a good choice to go for?

I think my final decision would be the Asus ROG Strix B450-F Gaming, Ryzen 7 3700x and 16GB 3600Mhz ram. Is this a good coice, i would appreciate hard criticism so i know if i need to change anything. Thank you!

That would work fine. 

Again, I think it's better to get a 3600 and upgrade it in 2-3 years. $125 is a lot of money for not much performance gain in 2020. It won't last quite as long but you save so much money it's worth it. 

18 minutes ago, toasty99 said:

Again, I think it's better to get a 3600 and upgrade it in 2-3 years. $125 is a lot of money for not much performance gain in 2020. It won't last quite as long but you save so much money it's worth it. 

That is totally true, but i would like to not have to upgrade in nearly 5 years, since about then i will probably lose interest in gaming. Also looking at benchmarks it seems that the cpu usage with the ryzen 5 3600 and rtx 2080 is almost maxed out. Which means i cannot do much else at the same time. Since i am constantly managing stuff on my pc while gaming i would like there to be a gap for cpu usage needed for those applications.