Drive configuration for a noob

Yella14

Hi all, certified PC noob here hoping someone can educate me a little on drive configuration and management.

I have a prebuilt desktop which came with a 240GB SSD as the boot drive and a 2TB hard drive for storage.

I am a fairly casual gamer but have enough games to fill the boot drive so i have been storing them on the HDD until i recently decided to upgrade to an SSD for my game library.

I also use photo/videography software and in my infinite wisdom decided to install that in the larger HDD to avoid storage issues on the boot drive.

Upon installing the new 1TB SSD and looking up how to migrate games/programs to new drives i have come to realise that i have drastically misunderstood the complexity of computer file structures.

I would like to get my storage in order before things become too much of a headache so my questions are:

• Ideally, where should Program/Game files be stored?
  • If the answer is (C:) then i assume my best course of action is to use my new SSD as my boot drive and reinstall my programs and games there?
  • If not, does it make sense to use the larger SSD as the default storage for software, whilst keeping the HDD for data storage?

I apologise in advance as i am sure this question has been asked many times before but i am struggling to find a clear answer.

1 minute ago, Yella14 said:

Ideally, where should Program/Game files be stored?

On the SSD

If the answer is (C:) then i assume my best course of action is to use my new SSD as my boot drive and reinstall my programs and games there?

Why not just keep the 240gb SSD and not bother migrating your OS?

If not, does it make sense to use the larger SSD as the default storage for software, whilst keeping the HDD for data storage?

If you have enough SATA ports I don't see why not?

My life

1 minute ago, Zmax said:

What I did 

Use C as main for all usual stuff . Mail,Browser....

Use a second drive ( SSD ) for gaming , Installed Steam and others there.

Use a third HDD for video and others that do not need speed. 

so you dont see any problem installing software on my larger SSD?

the main thing that has confused me is when looking for information about migrating program files, a few sites say that you cant just copy from one drive to the other

18 minutes ago, Himommies said:

On the SSD

Why not just keep the 240gb SSD and not bother migrating your OS?

If you have enough SATA ports I don't see why not?

thanks for the swift reply!

just regarding your response to the first question, do you mean the smaller boot SSD or the new larger one?