[Solved] No sound in Tomb Raider (2013)

[SOlved: works with corded headset]

Tomb Raider is now free, I installed it and it ran straight away. The movie in the beginning had working sound but when the actual game started, there were no sounds. 

How can I troubleshoot this problem?

Ubuntu 19.10, Vega 64 with latest drivers.

Grab the game and test:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/203160/Tomb_Raider/

i eman, that could be any number of things considering you are running Linux. did you check all your sound related settings?

She/Her

Sounds do work in all other apps. For example I had youtube playing in the background while testing the game. Only youtube had sounds. In game settings volume is maxed for all audio.

2 minutes ago, Olotila said:

Sounds do work in all other apps. For example I had youtube playing in the background while testing the game. Only youtube had sounds. In game settings volume is maxed for all audio.

quote me or else i don't get a notification when you reply. 

did you set Tomb Raider to the correct output? some distro's allow you to set different devices for different apps

She/Her

1 minute ago, Twilight said:

quote me or else i don't get a notification when you reply. 

did you set Tomb Raider to the correct output? some distro's allow you to set different devices for different apps

Yes, I tried with two different outputs and they both worked during starting cinematics, then stopped when I got the control of the character.

Just now, Olotila said:

Yes, I tried with two different outputs and they both worked during starting cinematics, then stopped when I got the control of the character.

likely a bug in the linux port of the game... do you have Windows available to you? like do you dual-boot? if you do try it on Windows. 

She/Her

7 minutes ago, Twilight said:

likely a bug in the linux port of the game... do you have Windows available to you? like do you dual-boot? if you do try it on Windows. 

Ok, I will first try inside my Win10 virtual machine, then boot to my native Win10.

1 hour ago, Twilight said:

Sounds work fine in virtual machine.

I partially solved this issue... I tested with headset with cords and sounds work fine. So the problem was sound outputs.

Most Linux Ports have tons of issues and Tomb Raider is no exception.

Try running it through Proton with RADV_PERFTEST=aco %command% as the launch options

It appears this is an issue with Tomb Raider ignoring the default sound output.

This bug is something I encountered a long time ago when playing it.  It would default to a weird sound output and I had to change it in the volume config tool in kde. 

As you have seen, if you change it to the correct output it begins to work.
Pretty sure this is because of pulseaudio constantly changing the defaults.