New $2500 Editing Workstation Build (Advice Wanted)

Hey everyone,

I'm working on a build for a good friend of mine. He is looking to use this workstation for After Effects and Premiere Pro with a heavier focus on After Effects. I wanted some Input on parts that i have chosen just in case there is something that may be a better bang for the buck. Also i need a recommendation on a Mother Board AM4 socket. I look forward to hearing what you all think!

*Note i used puget system's benchmarks for advice on performance.

Ryzen 9 3950X 16 core processor

Motherboard unknown

64G DDR4 memory (2 x 32G sticks to allow for expansion in the future)

RTX 2070 Super

1TB Samsung SSD (Boot)

1TB Samsung SSD (Current PRojects Files)

1TB Samsung M.2 (Scratch and Media Cache)

750W Power Supply Corsair

Windows 10 Pro

Let me know if you have any questions or recommendations!

-chris

I would recommend the MSI PRO B450-A PRO MAX AM4 AMD B450 for your system and i would upgrade your psu to a 850 for future add-ons.

• CPU
    intel i5-4460
  • Motherboard
    msi z97s SLI krait edition
  • RAM
    hyperx 16 gb
  • GPU
    evga gtx 1660
  • Case
    DIY tank case
  • Storage
    STORAGE seagate ironwolf 1tb

Boot drive SAMSUNG SSD 860 EVO 250GB
  • PSU
    cooler master 850
  • Cooling
    corsair H100I platinum

Quote me or mention me at @Shrekpad so I get notified 
pc specs:
CPU: 
Intel i7 8700K MOBO: ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming RAM: 16GB (2x8) DDR4 G Skill TridentZ 3000 MHz GPU: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GAMING OC CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv STORAGE: Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB M.2 NVME SSD,
T-Force Delta RGB 250GB SSD, 4TB Seagate Barracuda HDD PSU: 750 Watt EVGA SuperNova G3 MONITERDell S2716DGR 1440p 144hz G-Sync, BenQ PD2700U 4K 60hz CPU COOLER: Corsair H115i RGB Platinum OS: Windows 10

3 hours ago, Shrekpad said:

this one is garbage, not really better than the B450 Tomahawk.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

I'd go with the motherboard @m777y suggested as well. It's a very high quality high end board without the price tag of one.

For ram, make sure you get at least 3200mhz, but aim for 3600 if not much more expensive.

For cooling i'd go air, the noctua nh-d15 being the best.

You don't need 1tb for boot and nothing else, so i'd re-think the drive configuration a bit. Also samsung drives are usually overpriced. You cand get pci-e 4 drives for the price of samsung, which will be twice as fast.

For psu, 650 will be enough, make sure you get the rmx, not the rm version.

20 hours ago, Herman Mcpootis said:

this one is garbage, not really better than the B450 Tomahawk.

so go x570 but not that specific board?

12 hours ago, boggy77 said:

I'd go with the motherboard @m777y suggested as well. It's a very high quality high end board without the price tag of one.

For ram, make sure you get at least 3200mhz, but aim for 3600 if not much more expensive.

For cooling i'd go air, the noctua nh-d15 being the best.

You don't need 1tb for boot and nothing else, so i'd re-think the drive configuration a bit. Also samsung drives are usually overpriced. You cand get pci-e 4 drives for the price of samsung, which will be twice as fast.

For psu, 650 will be enough, make sure you get the rmx, not the rm version.

The boot drive will also have all programs and stuff of that nature as well. also so what drives would you recommend other than samsung that are reliable? also ryzen likes higher frequency memory correct? is that why you are recommending 3600?

1 hour ago, Cdog580 said:

so go x570 but not that specific board?

Avoid the MSI X570 boards below the ace/unify. X570-P if you want cheap or tuf/elite instead.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

12 hours ago, Cdog580 said:

The boot drive will also have all programs and stuff of that nature as well. also so what drives would you recommend other than samsung that are reliable? also ryzen likes higher frequency memory correct? is that why you are recommending 3600?

adata and crucial ones i included are good drives. sabrent rocket as well, inland premium, etc. there is a SSD tier list in my signature for more models.

yes 3600 is optimal for 3000 series ryzen