Linux Mint Drive Issue

Go to solution Solved by LaughingHyena,
18 minutes ago, Sauron said:

I figured it out. The sata ports on the external drive bays on my case don't actually connect to the drive.

Okay, so I just installed Linux Mint on a new computer I just built, and I took a drive out of my Windows PC after removing all formatting, and for whatever reason, it is not showing up in the Mint Disks utility. I am completely new to Linux, so I have no idea where to start, and everything I can find online seems to be for people taking HDDs formatted in Linux over to Windows, not the other way around. Anyone have any ideas what I can do to try and get this drive to work?

Gaming PC

CPU: Ryzen 3700X GPU: EVGA 2060 Super XC Ultra Gaming MB: MSI Prestige X570 Creation 

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x 16GB DDR4-3600 CL16 NVME: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB M.2-2280

PSU: SeaSonic PRIME Gold 1000w Case: Corsair 680X RGB Black

NAS/Media Box

CPU: Ryzen 3200G  MB: Gigabyte Aorus B450 Elite

RAM: 16GB (2x 8GB) Corsair LPX DDR4-3000 M.2: WD Blue 500 GB

PSU: Rosewill Photon 850W 80+ Gold Case: Cooler Master HAF XB Evo

Does it show up in the bios? Try apt install Gparted and check if it shows up there, also remember that it has got to be in a file system that is recognized by Linux, such as ext4, not NTFS.;) 

10 minutes ago, LaughingHyena said:

Okay, so I just installed Linux Mint on a new computer I just built, and I took a drive out of my Windows PC after removing all formatting, and for whatever reason, it is not showing up in the Mint Disks utility. I am completely new to Linux, so I have no idea where to start, and everything I can find online seems to be for people taking HDDs formatted in Linux over to Windows, not the other way around. Anyone have any ideas what I can do to try and get this drive to work?

You could try mounting the iso on the drive, then it'd finish installing after booting from it. Make sure to use a file system recognized by Linux (not NTFS)

Either @piratemonkey or quote me when responding to me. I won't see otherwise

Put a reaction on my post if I helped

My privacy guide | Why my name is piratemonkey PSU Tier List Motherboard VRM Tier List

What I say is from experience and the internet, and may not be 100% correct

check if it's recognized by the system

sudo fdisk -l

I don't know what "disk utility" Mint has but maybe it only shows formatted drives.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

3 hours ago, Konrad_K said:

Does it show up in the bios? Try apt install Gparted and check if it shows up there, also remember that it has got to be in a file system that is recognized by Linux, such as ext4, not NTFS.;) 

I just checked, and I don't see it in the BIOs. I see my M.2 boot drive, but the 2 TB drive is not showing.

check if it's recognized by the system

sudo fdisk -l

I don't know what "disk utility" Mint has but maybe it only shows formatted drives.

Just checked, and I only see my boot drive's partitions. I am going to plug it back into my windows and try formatting it in ext4 to see if that works.

Gaming PC

CPU: Ryzen 3700X GPU: EVGA 2060 Super XC Ultra Gaming MB: MSI Prestige X570 Creation 

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x 16GB DDR4-3600 CL16 NVME: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB M.2-2280

NAS/Media Box

2 minutes ago, LaughingHyena said:

Just checked, and I only see my boot drive's partitions. I am going to plug it back into my windows and try formatting it in ext4 to see if that works.

If it doesn't show up in fdisk there's something wrong with the drive or the connection. Is this a sata hdd or...?

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

4 minutes ago, Sauron said:

If it doesn't show up in fdisk there's something wrong with the drive or the connection. Is this a sata hdd or...?

Sata HDD. It works fine on my Windows PC with no issues. No matter what sata port I plug it into on my MB on the linux machine, it's not showing up. I have the same issue with my laptop that I installed Mint onto. The 1Tb SSD in that doesn't show up either in linux, but works fine on windows.

Gaming PC

NAS/Media Box

1 minute ago, LaughingHyena said:

Sata HDD. It works fine on my Windows PC with no issues. No matter what sata port I plug it into on my MB, it's not showing up. I have the same issue with my laptop that I installed Mint onto. The 1Tb SSD in that doesn't show up either, but works fine on mint.

Sounds like a hardware problem. Make sure they are correctly hooked up to sata power, try your boot drive in different sata ports to see if they work.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 minute ago, Sauron said:

Sounds like a hardware problem. Make sure they are correctly hooked up to sata power, try your boot drive in different sata ports to see if they work.

I am going to try a third sata port, and swap out the sata power cable. It would be super dumb if that cable stopped working between me moving it from one case to this one.

Gaming PC

NAS/Media Box

I figured it out. The sata ports on the external drive bays on my case don't actually connect to the drive.

Gaming PC

NAS/Media Box

Just now, LaughingHyena said:

there you go :P

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Just now, Sauron said:

there you go :P

*sigh* And that was like 25% of the reason I got this case.

Gaming PC

NAS/Media Box

1 hour ago, LaughingHyena said:

*sigh* And that was like 25% of the reason I got this case.

By the way you should mark the thread as solved ;)

sudo chmod -R 000 /*