Rooting without PC?

Monster_King

I have an Galaxy A5 2017 that unfortunately has a broken charging port, so I got no USB functionality. All it can do is charge and that’s all. Is there any way to root without using a PC and ADB? I already tried googling for rooting apps but none have worked.

I have the same phone.  It might be possible.  With Magisks...

You would need TWRP, though, not only to install magisks, but also to patch android to allow it to work in the first place... so if you don't have it already installed, there's no hope.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

5 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

I have the same phone.  It might be possible.  With Magisks...

You would need TWRP, though, not only to install magisks, but also to patch android to allow it to work in the first place... so if you don't have it already installed, there's no hope.

I don’t have TWRP so I gotta find a new board. Welp I’m gonna start searching

Just now, Monster_King said:

I don’t have TWRP so I gotta find a new board. Welp I’m gonna start searching

Might be possible to just switch out the usb port instead of the whole thing.. just in case, have you tried using a different cable?

Also, depending on the price, it may not even be worth it if you can get another working phone for almost the same.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

2 hours ago, TetraSky said:

Might be possible to just switch out the usb port instead of the whole thing.. just in case, have you tried using a different cable?

Also, depending on the price, it may not even be worth it if you can get another working phone for almost the same.

The port is soldered right onto the board itself and it’s pretty cheap these days I found one for $25. And I have tried I think 5 cables (one original) so not a problem with a cable.

1 hour ago, huilun02 said:

No

I'm an advocate for rooting, but 'easy rooting' apps install unremovable trash and vulnerabilities into your device, 99% of the time

I have rooted with these apps a couple of my devices and the first thing I always did was to install “root uninstaller” and get rid of the apps it installed except the root itself.