RDP/Terminal server alternative for Linux

One of main reasons why I stayed on Windows on my main PC is RDP/Terminal server - aka, I can work on something, connect remotely and continue, while my wife can at same time log on to same PC and do her work.

So far I known of no real alternative for this on Linux, but I might be missing something... so, anyone knows if something like this is actually out that works, and is not a hassle?

(hint: using virtual servers, connecting to them, and similar, even from local desktop is not proper replacement)

You either build your own Active Directory-equivalent from Kerberos and OpenLDAP (Active Directory basically is Kerberos and LDAP, anyway) and use a tool like Puppet (or OpenLDAP itself) for something resembling policies, or you use FreeIPA as an integrated solution.

There's also a wide range of commercially supported LDAP servers for Linux, like Red Hat Directory Server. RHDS (like 389 Server, which is the free version of RHDS) has a nice Java GUI for management of the directory. It does neither Kerberos nor policies though.

From here: https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/333/what-is-the-equivalent-of-active-directory-on-linux

There are plenty of alternatives, namely x2go

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/15/2020 at 8:21 AM, Sauron said:

There are plenty of alternatives, namely x2go

Oof.  At least suggest NX (NoMachine).  It was forked from X2go awhile back.  🙂

2 minutes ago, -DevNull- said:

Oof.  At least suggest NX (NoMachine).  It was forked from X2go awhile back.  🙂

Nomachine is currently proprietary - and it's the opposite, x2go comes from NX. X2go can do what OP asked and it's foss, I don't see the issue.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

4 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Nomachine is currently proprietary - and it's the opposite, x2go comes from NX. X2go can do what OP asked and it's foss, I don't see the issue.

As long as he's using it for personal, there's no issue.  I realize it's closed source but it is also so much snappier and far less random crashing than I ever had with x2go. Although, I did play WoW over it remotely a few times back in the day.  LoL

I mainly use it for family that insist on running windows and constantly needing remote help from the other side of the county/planet. 

Throw on WG and NX and call it done.  

8 minutes ago, -DevNull- said:

As long as he's using it for personal, there's no issue.

The free version is quite limited as far as I can tell. It's probably fine for a lot of uses though, I was just making one example. I didn't say x2go was the only possible solution.

9 minutes ago, -DevNull- said:

I realize it's closed source but it is also so much snappier and far less random crashing than I ever had with x2go.

X2go has been very consistent for me, maybe you remember an older version. Of course it doesn't work with a Windows host but that doesn't seem to be the use case here.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*