Audioengine HD6 speaker competitors

HumdrumPenguin

I've been slowly upgrading my sound system, and now the time for the speakers has come. Ideally they would be powered speakers, since I don't have much physical space now for a decent amp that pumps 100w per channel at 8 ohms. IF I were to spend cash on amps, they would have to be good so I don't need another one when buying really freaking good speakers within the next 2 years or so. I've been looking at the Audioengine HD6. I can get a sweet deal from a guy nearby on a used but mint pair for a bit over 500 Canadian dollars. What would be the big competitors under a grand (in Canadian) out there? The speakers could cost more if I can find someone selling near me whatever pair you suggest in used but mint conditions for less than a grand. As a comparison, right now I have the Audioengine A2+, connected to a Schiit Asgard 3 (acting as a pre amp) and a Schiit Bifrost 2 dac. 

48 minutes ago, HumdrumPenguin said:

I've been slowly upgrading my sound system, and now the time for the speakers has come. Ideally they would be powered speakers, since I don't have much physical space now for a decent amp that pumps 100w per channel at 8 ohms. IF I were to spend cash on amps, they would have to be good so I don't need another one when buying really freaking good speakers within the next 2 years or so. I've been looking at the Audioengine HD6. I can get a sweet deal from a guy nearby on a used but mint pair for a bit over 500 Canadian dollars. What would be the big competitors under a grand (in Canadian) out there? The speakers could cost more if I can find someone selling near me whatever pair you suggest in used but mint conditions for less than a grand. As a comparison, right now I have the Audioengine A2+, connected to a Schiit Asgard 3 (acting as a pre amp) and a Schiit Bifrost 2 dac. 

NVM, Remembered Amazon.ca exists.

I would take a look at Yamaha HS8 for around this price range as they accept unbalanced inputs, and you have a pre-amp to control them. Plus they're reviewed well and sound great. Plus they have HF and LF trim for sorting out minor room issues.

White colour HS8:

https://www.amazon.ca/Yamaha-HS8-8-Inch-Powered-Monitor/dp/B00ILALQ4K/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=yamaha+hs8&qid=1583876701&sr=8-1

Black colour HS8:

https://www.amazon.ca/Yamaha-HS8-Studio-Monitor-Black/dp/B00DCYMVB2/ref=pd_sbs_267_1/144-2983677-0500931?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00DCYMVB2&pd_rd_r=955656f5-7a95-4f53-9ab1-34f6709e0f09&pd_rd_w=Ez654&pd_rd_wg=1aBGJ&pf_rd_p=74b54c94-7195-4620-ba51-7d167ac58a58&pf_rd_r=C2SVMTYJHBKM5PFSRHJR&psc=1&refRID=C2SVMTYJHBKM5PFSRHJR

You will need to convert from RCA to TRS though, as they have no RCA input. But this can be done with some cheap adapters, or cables.

RCA -> TRS cable:

https://www.amazon.ca/Gold-Plated-Copper-6-35mm-Stereo-Adapter/dp/B07G59NMWF/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=RCA+to+TRS&qid=1583876932&sr=8-4

RCA -> TRS adapter:

https://www.amazon.ca/VCE-2-Pack-Gold-Plated-Interconnect-Adapter/dp/B07DKYG91T/ref=sr_1_9?keywords=RCA+to+TRS+adapter&qid=1583877005&sr=8-9

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

52 minutes ago, Derkoli said:

NVM, Remembered Amazon.ca exists.

I would take a look at Yamaha HS8 for around this price range as they accept unbalanced inputs, and you have a pre-amp to control them. Plus they're reviewed well and sound great. Plus they have HF and LF trim for sorting out minor room issues.

White colour HS8:

https://www.amazon.ca/Yamaha-HS8-8-Inch-Powered-Monitor/dp/B00ILALQ4K/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=yamaha+hs8&qid=1583876701&sr=8-1

Black colour HS8:

https://www.amazon.ca/Yamaha-HS8-Studio-Monitor-Black/dp/B00DCYMVB2/ref=pd_sbs_267_1/144-2983677-0500931?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00DCYMVB2&pd_rd_r=955656f5-7a95-4f53-9ab1-34f6709e0f09&pd_rd_w=Ez654&pd_rd_wg=1aBGJ&pf_rd_p=74b54c94-7195-4620-ba51-7d167ac58a58&pf_rd_r=C2SVMTYJHBKM5PFSRHJR&psc=1&refRID=C2SVMTYJHBKM5PFSRHJR

You will need to convert from RCA to TRS though, as they have no RCA input. But this can be done with some cheap adapters, or cables.

RCA -> TRS cable:

https://www.amazon.ca/Gold-Plated-Copper-6-35mm-Stereo-Adapter/dp/B07G59NMWF/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=RCA+to+TRS&qid=1583876932&sr=8-4

RCA -> TRS adapter:

https://www.amazon.ca/VCE-2-Pack-Gold-Plated-Interconnect-Adapter/dp/B07DKYG91T/ref=sr_1_9?keywords=RCA+to+TRS+adapter&qid=1583877005&sr=8-9

I saw your initial comment on the stores, but I wouldn't be able to get a good deal on them, specially the one in the UK. They expect me to pay using real money instead of Monopoly currency (that's how the Brit guy at my office refers to Canadian dollar). Actually, I'm surrounded by Brits at the office. Blimey!

I had seen this video a couple weeks ago on the Yamahas and also thought about them. I just put the Audioengine HD6 as comparison because of the deal I'd be able to get on them. The Bifrost 2 has balanced outs, so accepting balanced ins on the speakers wouldn't be a problem really. Controlling the volume, on the other hand, might be. I like the whites but wouldn't go well with my all PC and sound gear in black. It's a shame they don't have walnut. Does any other speaker come to mind?

On a side note, have you ever posted a picture anywhere online of your sound room? I got curious.

2 minutes ago, HumdrumPenguin said:

I saw your initial comment on the stores, but I wouldn't be able to get a good deal on them, specially the one in the UK. They expect me to pay using real money instead of Monopoly currency (that's how the Brit guy at my office refers to Canadian dollar). Actually, I'm surrounded by Brits at the office. Blimey!

I had seen this video a couple weeks ago on the Yamahas and also thought about them. I just put the Audioengine HD6 as comparison because of the deal I'd be able to get on them. The Bifrost 2 has balanced outs, so accepting balanced ins on the speakers wouldn't be a problem really. Controlling the volume, on the other hand, might be. I like the whites but wouldn't go well with my all PC and sound gear in black. It's a shame they don't have walnut. Does any other speaker come to mind?

On a side note, have you ever posted a picture anywhere online of your sound room? I got curious.

I would quite like monitors to come in walnut and other wood finishes aswell, PMC and ATC do some, but they're mostly passive.

Looking at reviews, the HD6's seem to be pretty decent, But I just think you'd get more for your money with monitors, but then again the HS8's are quite a bit more expensive. If you can get a good deal on the audioengine HD6's, then they should do you just nicely. Plus you'd have money to put towards isolating them etc. And eventually getting a subwoofer possibly, if you'd like.

I haven't actually posted any pictures of my current listening room, I'll have to get a bunch of nice ones when I get my new speakers. Not sure what I'm doing with my PMC Fenestrias quite yet, might keep, might sell, not sure.

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

23 minutes ago, Derkoli said:

I would quite like monitors to come in walnut and other wood finishes aswell, PMC and ATC do some, but they're mostly passive.

Looking at reviews, the HD6's seem to be pretty decent, But I just think you'd get more for your money with monitors, but then again the HS8's are quite a bit more expensive. If you can get a good deal on the audioengine HD6's, then they should do you just nicely. Plus you'd have money to put towards isolating them etc. And eventually getting a subwoofer possibly, if you'd like.

I haven't actually posted any pictures of my current listening room, I'll have to get a bunch of nice ones when I get my new speakers. Not sure what I'm doing with my PMC Fenestrias quite yet, might keep, might sell, not sure.

This is more for my PC really, to substitute the Audioengine A2+. Otherwise I'd not even look at active speakers. I've sent you a link via private message, please take a look when you can. I'll read a bit more over a few other options I may have and see what I can get. Haven't done an in depth research yet. I do know that the HD6 has tamed treble and needs a sub because it lacks real punch, so there's that (I don't like bright speakers or headphones).

maybe a pair of paradigm SE atom https://www.paradigm.com/en/passive/monitor-se-atom they are a canadian company so you can probably catch them at a store to try them. It was reccomended to me by one of my more trusted audio friends when I asked about nearfields. They are on sale right now on the website. But since your in Toronto you can probably find a audio store that has a setup

50 minutes ago, rice guru said:

maybe a pair of paradigm SE atom https://www.paradigm.com/en/passive/monitor-se-atom they are a canadian company so you can probably catch them at a store to try them. It was reccomended to me by one of my more trusted audio friends when I asked about nearfields. They are on sale right now on the website. But since your in Toronto you can probably find a audio store that has a setup

That seems like a good model, but I'm looking for more premium stuff. Anything at 3x-4x the price of those would be ok.

7 hours ago, HumdrumPenguin said:

That seems like a good model, but I'm looking for more premium stuff. Anything at 3x-4x the price of those would be ok.

Then if we're looking at a competitor to the Yamaha it was I'm my head these paradigm and the Jamo c91 2

5 hours ago, rice guru said:

Then if we're looking at a competitor to the Yamaha it was I'm my head these paradigm and the Jamo c91 2

The price for the Yamaha on Amazon.ca is for a single unit. I’m looking to spend around 1k on a pair. The Jamos are out of stock on the Canadian Amazon, but at USD370 on the American site for the pair. It is still far from what I’m willing to go. 1k is not a hard budget if you know of something a bit over it that punches way above the rest in the category.

1 hour ago, HumdrumPenguin said:

The price for the Yamaha on Amazon.ca is for a single unit. I’m looking to spend around 1k on a pair. The Jamos are out of stock on the Canadian Amazon, but at USD370 on the American site for the pair. It is still far from what I’m willing to go. 1k is not a hard budget if you know of something a bit over it that punch way above the rest in the category.

Ah makes sense. Sorry  I didn't see that 

I severely underestimated the size of these speakers. Even the Yamaha HS7, the middle brother of the HS series, wouldn't fit on my space. F*#@$@! It's either getting a huge ass desk or forgetting about this idea for now.

1 hour ago, HumdrumPenguin said:

I severely underestimated the size of these speakers. Even the Yamaha HS7, the middle brother of the HS series, wouldn't fit on my space. F*#@$@! It's either getting a huge ass desk or forgetting about this idea for now.

You could grab some solid stand and place them above your monitors