Future Proof Upgrade

KENBAL420

Henlo all

So I plan on upgrading my Pc because it's getting old and I'd like something more future proof.

So I'm keeping my HDD's, SSD, CPU cooler and PSU

This is what I'm going to sell:

i5 4670K

20GB generic RAM (3x4GB 1x8GB)

Gigabyte Ga Z97P-D3H

Gigabyte Gtx1060 G1 Gaming 6GB (still has like 1 year of warranty left i think) 

Cougar Mx330G Case (3 months old) I may keep the case otherwise I won't have something to build in ? I have a shit load of M-Atx cases but no ATX cases ?‍♂?

Everything is in good condition

Specs I want to upgrade to:

Ryzen 5 3400G

MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max

Klevv Cras RGB 16GB 2x8GB 3200MHz

Keep in mind I'm going for the 3400G because I won't be able to afford a new Graphics card very soon that's why I'm going with the APU so that i can still play same games on low or medium settings.

What is your opinion on this?

How much do you think I'll be able to get for the Components I want to sell?

Do you think this is a good idea?

CPU: i5 4670k @4.1ghz | GPU: Gigabyte Geforce GTX 1060 G1 Gaming 6GB | MB: Gigabyte Z97P-D3H | RAM: 4x4GB Generic | SSD: Gigabyte 240GB  

PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 650 watt | Case: Cougar MX330G

2 minutes ago, KENBAL420 said:

Hello,

Keep the 1060 6GB and get the 3600 instead, don't get a x470 as a B450 MSI MAX (A-Pro, Gaming Plus, Tomahawk or Mortar) board is plenty.

8 minutes ago, Plouffe said:

Hello,

Keep the 1060 6GB and get the 3600 instead, don't get a x470 as a B450 MSI MAX (A-Pro, Gaming Plus, Tomahawk or Mortar) board is plenty.

The price difference between the 3400G and the 3600 is quite big for me and i can always in the future sell the 3400G and get a second hand 3600x or so.

Also the cost difference between the X470 and the B450 is small so i'll save an extra bit of cash and go for the X470 instead.

The 1060 is part of the costs being covered and I don't mind being stuck without a GPU for 6 months or so.

CPU: i5 4670k @4.1ghz | GPU: Gigabyte Geforce GTX 1060 G1 Gaming 6GB | MB: Gigabyte Z97P-D3H | RAM: 4x4GB Generic | SSD: Gigabyte 240GB  

1 minute ago, KENBAL420 said:

Well I don't know where you're from but the 3600 is less expensive in my country.

And the MSI B450 MAX are better than the X470 Gaming Plus anyway.

what you're trying to do looks like downgrading. maybe wait until you have enough money for a new gpu, start our ugrade with that, then change cpu, mobo and ram.

1 minute ago, boggy77 said:

what you're trying to do looks like downgrading. maybe wait until you have enough money for a new gpu, start our ugrade with that, then change cpu, mobo and ram.

you can call it downgrading but it's only because my current hardware is old and they are losing their value so i want to sell before it becomes useless tech, so i'm trying to get something more future proof and with a warranty. Saving is hard for me that's why i don't mind going with the APU.

32 minutes ago, KENBAL420 said:

Keep in mind I'm going for the 3400G because I won't be able to afford a new Graphics card very soon that's why I'm going with the APU so that i can still play same games on low or medium settings

A 3400G isn't future proof.  Save your money until the week of black friday and buy a better CPU and a GPU at the same time. 

Buying something that's not really good enough for today only to upgrade later doesn't make sense to me.  You'd be better off saving for a much better system where you'll actually notice a significant difference in performance.  

You won't be getting much from your current hardware.  If you have a problems saving money you shouldn't be buying new computer hardware especially when you'll be buying a worst gaming experience.  Keep your current hardware and upgrade when you are more comfortable financially. 

12 minutes ago, Plouffe said:

Well I don't know where you're from but the 3600 is less expensive in my country.

And the MSI B450 MAX are better than the X470 Gaming Plus anyway.

Here are our prices in South Africa.

Untitled.jpg

Untitled1.jpg

7 minutes ago, BobbyPdue said:

A 3400G isn't future proof.  Save your money until the week of black friday and buy a better CPU and a GPU at the same time. 

Buying something that's not really good enough for today only to upgrade later doesn't make sense to me.  You'd be better off saving for a much better system where you'll actually notice a significant difference in performance.  

I would only use the 3400G as a temporary solution until i can get a good 2nd hand deal on a 3700x and GPU.

Also since the CPU, RAM and MOBO is old i'm scared of it dying and then it really has no value so i would like to get rid of it ASAP.

Edited by KENBAL420

1 minute ago, KENBAL420 said:

I would only use the 3400G as a temporary solution until i can get a good 2nd hand deal on a 3700x and GPU.

Get a good deal on a 3700x and a GPU and don't buy the 3400G at all. 

Your current computer is much more powerful than your proposed upgrade. 

5 minutes ago, KENBAL420 said:

As stated above, I'd wait until I can get a decent rig tbh. As I said previously get a 3600+B450 MAX with the 1060 6GB. Also new GPU and CPU are due for this year so you can wait, have more money and see the price drop for current gen.

9 minutes ago, Plouffe said:

As stated above, I'd wait until I can get a decent rig tbh. As I said previously get a 3600+B450 MAX with the 1060 6GB. Also new GPU and CPU are due for this year so you can wait, have more money and see the price drop for current gen.

I have this option too,Mobo doesnt look good and so on but can always be upgraded later on and then i can keep the 1060 and only sell the CPU,MOBO and RAM

Untitled12.jpg

3 minutes ago, KENBAL420 said:

I have this option too,Mobo doesnt look good and so on but can always be upgraded later on and then i can keep the 1060 and only sell the CPU,MOBO and RAM

Untitled12.jpg

Yeah both mobo are trash and 8GB of ram is really low too :/

2 minutes ago, Plouffe said:

Yeah both mobo are trash and 8GB of ram is really low too :/

The mobo is easy to replace, plenty of new 2nd hand mobos with remaining warranty and the RAM can also be found easily for a decent 2nd hand price.

13 minutes ago, KENBAL420 said:

The mobo is easy to replace, plenty of new 2nd hand mobos with remaining warranty and the RAM can also be found easily for a decent 2nd hand price.

But then you're spending more by buying more expensive stuff later on instead of buying everything at once :/