Why is noone doing this???

Hi guys,

I am a newbie with some months of study in PC building and was about to buy my rig with at least some confidence when there was one thing that greatly worried me... 

I didn't like bottlenecks and overclock, so what I did was matching the frequency of my CPU, RAM and MOBO:

• My CPU is Ryzen 5 3400G - System memory specification 2933MHz
  • My MOBO is GIGABYTE B450 AORUS ELITE - Support for DDR4 3600(O.C.)/3466(O.C.)/3200(O.C.)/2933/2667/2400/2133 MHz memory modules
  • My RAM is G.SKILL Trident Z - Bus 3000MHz

All around 2933MHz, so I thought it was great until I realized that I could find NOONE on the Internet doing the same matching. Is my understanding about this frequency thing wrong? Should I match components this way? Please kindly help. Thank you!

21 minutes ago, quysang219 said:

-

Just because you're wearing a green shirt in a green car does not mean the traffic light will be green too.

The frequencies are not a one-to-one representation of "speed flow" and matching the frequencies of CPU and RAM have no benefit. Generally "more is better" on either side, but just because one is larger than another, it does not mean the lower one is bottlenecking the higher. Bottlenecking is always present in some form and is not as big of a deal as many are led to believe.

26 minutes ago, quysang219 said:

My CPU is Ryzen 5 3400G - System memory specification 2933MHz

that is talking about the supported RAM speed

My MOBO is GIGABYTE B450 AORUS ELITE - Support for DDR4 3600(O.C.)/3466(O.C.)/3200(O.C.)/2933/2667/2400/2133 MHz memory modules

that is also talking about ram speed

My RAM is G.SKILL Trident Z - Bus 3000MHz

that is also ram speed.

so you're not actually looking at cpu/mobo frequencies, but at ram speed. and it makes sense you see that number everywhere, because it's the most supported ddr4 frequency in the industry.

faster = better, for memory. just gives you more bandwidth.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

8 hours ago, For Science! said:

Just because you're wearing a green shirt in a green car does not mean the traffic light will be green too.

The frequencies are not a one-to-one representation of "speed flow" and matching the frequencies of CPU and RAM have no benefit. Generally "more is better" on either side, but just because one is larger than another, it does not mean the lower one is bottlenecking the higher. Bottlenecking is always present in some form and is not as big of a deal as many are led to believe.

8 hours ago, boggy77 said:

that is talking about the supported RAM speed

that is also talking about ram speed

that is also ram speed.

so you're not actually looking at cpu/mobo frequencies, but at ram speed. and it makes sense you see that number everywhere, because it's the most supported ddr4 frequency in the industry.

What about the "overclocking" side please? Does the frequency an indicator of overclocking? If I assemble those 3 parts (CPU, MOBO and RAM), they will be running at 2933MHz and there will be no overclocking right? :( 

7 hours ago, quysang219 said:

What about the "overclocking" side please? Does the frequency an indicator of overclocking? If I assemble those 3 parts (CPU, MOBO and RAM), they will be running at 2933MHz and there will be no overclocking right? :( 

You will still need to overclock to get 2933 MHz. Memory is a bit weird do to "kind of sanctioned overclocking" so boards and sticks tend to advertise frequencies they can achieve when overclocked (typically referred to as XMP or DOCP). But its still overclocking 

9 hours ago, quysang219 said:

yes but you're referring strictly to RAM overclocking. DDR4 base frequency is 2133. anything above that is theoretically overclocking. 

The cpu will do it's thing, it won't be stuck at 2933.

5 hours ago, For Science! said:

You will still need to overclock to get 2933 MHz. Memory is a bit weird do to "kind of sanctioned overclocking" so boards and sticks tend to advertise frequencies they can achieve when overclocked (typically referred to as XMP or DOCP). But its still overclocking 

4 hours ago, boggy77 said:

yes but you're referring strictly to RAM overclocking. DDR4 base frequency is 2133. anything above that is theoretically overclocking. 

The cpu will do it's thing, it won't be stuck at 2933.

I guess I gotta study this much more carefully before paying for anything... ? Just a last question though, do you think my set is good for min setting PUBG and max setting DotA 2, World of Tanks and War Thunder? (if you play any of those games) Thanks!

Ryzen 5 3400G

GIGABYTE B450 AORUS ELITE

G.SKILL Trident Z bus 3000 dual channel 2x8GB

18 minutes ago, quysang219 said:

I guess I gotta study this much more carefully before paying for anything... ? Just a last question though, do you think my set is good for min setting PUBG and max setting DotA 2, World of Tanks and War Thunder? (if you play any of those games) Thanks!

Ryzen 5 3400G

GIGABYTE B450 AORUS ELITE

G.SKILL Trident Z bus 3000 dual channel 2x8GB

it's decent. if you have a budget and location, might be able to improve it.

sometimes a ryzen 1600 + rx 570 is almost the same price as the 3400g, but will give much better performance.