HP pavilion G6 - black screen

Fredrikmikael
Go to solution Solved by Tmh85,

well i go to school in another city and i came home this weekend and my mom told me she encountered this problem, so i did a restart and the screen worked again but then it went black randomly about 30min later.

Shut down the notebook.  Tap away at the esc key as you start the notebook to enter the Start-up Menu.  Select the Bios option ( usually f10 ) and under the Advanced or Diagnostic tab you should find the facility to run a test on the Hard Drive.  Post back with the details of any error messages.

Got this on: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Lockups-Freezes-Hangs/HP-Pavilion-G6-black-screen-at-startup-help/td-p/2977733

my mothers HP pavilion G6 has gotten the famous black screen of death, and ive tried a few different methods i found but they didnt work.

wanted to hear if anybody has encountered a similar problem or know of a way to fix this, before i open up the laptop.

System

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 5820K @4.5GHz - 1.230v  RAM: HyperX Fury DDR4 4x4GB 2666MHz  MB: MSI X99S SLI PLUS  CASE: NZXT H440  CPU-COOLER: Fractal Design Kelvin S24  PSU: Corsair RM1000W w/ white sleeved cable kit  GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 ARMOR  MONITOR: LG 27GL850-B  STORAGE: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2, Samsung 840 EVO 256GB,  WD Red 3TB

I used to have a G6 however I never had this issue... How/when did this issue come up?

Hope I could help!

Specs: CPU: AMD FX-8320 @4.0ghz GPU: ASUS DCUII GTX 770 PSU: EVGA Supernova 750g CASE: Fractal Define R4 RAM: 8 Gigabytes ADATA 1333 Mhz MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3

I used to have a G6 however I never had this issue... How/when did this issue come up?

well i go to school in another city and i came home this weekend and my mom told me she encountered this problem, so i did a restart and the screen worked again but then it went black randomly about 30min later.

System

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 5820K @4.5GHz - 1.230v  RAM: HyperX Fury DDR4 4x4GB 2666MHz  MB: MSI X99S SLI PLUS  CASE: NZXT H440  CPU-COOLER: Fractal Design Kelvin S24  PSU: Corsair RM1000W w/ white sleeved cable kit  GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 ARMOR  MONITOR: LG 27GL850-B  STORAGE: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2, Samsung 840 EVO 256GB,  WD Red 3TB

Shut down the notebook.  Tap away at the esc key as you start the notebook to enter the Start-up Menu.  Select the Bios option ( usually f10 ) and under the Advanced or Diagnostic tab you should find the facility to run a test on the Hard Drive.  Post back with the details of any error messages.

Got this on: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Lockups-Freezes-Hangs/HP-Pavilion-G6-black-screen-at-startup-help/td-p/2977733

Hope I could help!

Specs: CPU: AMD FX-8320 @4.0ghz GPU: ASUS DCUII GTX 770 PSU: EVGA Supernova 750g CASE: Fractal Define R4 RAM: 8 Gigabytes ADATA 1333 Mhz MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3

Not much you can do since its a Laptop. Check all the temps to make sure its not an overheating issue. Use software like Fanspeed or realtemp. And as @Tmh85 stated, check the HDD as well.

My Mobile Devices: HTC Dream (G1) Rooted, HTC Bravo (Desire) Rooted, Samsung Galaxy SII Rooted, Samsung Galaxy Note II Rooted, iPhone 4s Jailbroken, iPad 2 Jailbroken

ok i had the computer running now for 6minutes and i noticed the area around the VGA output was EXTREMELY HOT, so i think there is a defect fan that may have "melted" the video output.

System

Spoiler

when i started the computer and spammed escape the monitor suddenly works. you sir deserve a medal!

System

Spoiler

ok i had the computer running now for 6minutes and i noticed the area around the VGA output was EXTREMELY HOT, so i think there is a defect fan that may have "melted" the video output.

Have you tried using maybe a cooling mat under the laptop?

Hope I could help!

when i started the computer and spammed escape the monitor suddenly works. you sir deserve a medal!

Oh stop it your flattering me! :3

Hope I could help!

• 4 years later...

Hi guy's,
FYI: I got this problem and it is a graphics Nvidia Chip problem... but there is a way to fix it without reflow or a Reball... Just follow the instructions in this video, it work 100%, and what it does is it deactivates the Nvidia Chip so that it only works with the onboard Intel graphics chip. It's a pretty simple solutions so you don't have to fork up a few hundred buck on a new laptop ;)

Cheers