USB sound card over a 3m USB extension cable a good idea?

NoTxtWhileDrive
Go to solution Solved by Derkoli,
10 hours ago, NoTxtWhileDrive said:

I'm trying to do some quality-of-life improvements to my couch gaming setup. One of them was placing a usb hub in the desk next to the couch. I bought a cheap usb 2.0 hub and a 3 meter usb extension cable. It's a really big help to my setup. Now I'm asking if I can take it further:

Can I buy a usb sound adapter/card plug it in the hub? What problems with doing this can I expect? Any recommendations for cheap ones? 

I used to run a DAC off I think a 6 metre non-powered USB hub with 0 issues. Just get a cable thats rated for 2.0 and you'll be fine :)

I'm trying to do some quality-of-life improvements to my couch gaming setup. One of them was placing a usb hub in the desk next to the couch. I bought a cheap usb 2.0 hub and a 3 meter usb extension cable. It's a really big help to my setup. Now I'm asking if I can take it further:

Can I buy a usb sound adapter/card plug it in the hub? What problems with doing this can I expect? Any recommendations for cheap ones? 

10 hours ago, NoTxtWhileDrive said:

I used to run a DAC off I think a 6 metre non-powered USB hub with 0 issues. Just get a cable thats rated for 2.0 and you'll be fine :)

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

On 3/2/2020 at 5:44 PM, Derkoli said:

A DAC powered over USB or...?

17 hours ago, ShearMe said:

A DAC powered over USB or...?

Yes, powered over USB. This was a while ago mind you.

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

2 hours ago, Derkoli said:

Yes, powered over USB. This was a while ago mind you.

Interesting. I guess a DAC is pretty low powered. I'd be surprised if a headphone dac/amp worked off an unpowered hub with that distance.

20 minutes ago, ShearMe said:

Interesting. I guess a DAC is pretty low powered. I'd be surprised if a headphone dac/amp worked off an unpowered hub with that distance.

Not sure, both my current DAC's have a full IEC C14 power input, along with everything else. But one is FPGA with 164,000 Tap's and the other is 4 "standard" DAC chips. So not really low power draw stuff. But my Chord DAVE also has a pre-amplifier and headphone amplifier built into it (1.5W per channel @ 33Ω), which will draw power. I suspect around 45 watts power consumption for my Chord DAVE, and the Schiit YGGDRASIL is 35 Watts.