Xonar DX Sound Level

Go to solution Solved by Sors,

Thanks. After some research, I think I might get a Fiio E10 and plug the line out from the E10 back to my computer for recording.

Does that makes sense?

Or is there any suggestion you think I should go with?

I'd say I have around $70 to spend on this.

Have you consider something like this?  http://www.amazon.com/Koss-155954-VC20-Volume-Control/dp/B00001P4XH

Is just a volume control you plug between the headphones and the soundcard.  And is cheap enough to be worth the try.

I have an Asus Xonar DX as my sound card which serves me pretty good considering its cost.

Soon after that, I got myself a Sennheiser HD 449.

This pair of headphones didn't have any volume control, so I'll need to rely solely on OS sound level settings.

The problem here is the sound level is too high with 20% to start hurt my ears a little.

It's fine as it is if you're just consuming media by listening.

I also do some recording using Stereo Mix/Wave but with 20% volume, they could barely pickup any sound.

I can however do the recording with my headphones unplugged but I can't monitor what's being recorded.

With Google, I managed to find some virtual audio system which I use them as the default audio output which makes recording possible at 100% sound level and picks everything up loud and clear.

And with the audio input side of the virtual audio adapter, I set my Headphones to listen to it where I can adjust my Headphones individually separated from what's recorded.

This is a good solution with little to no money involved but this virtual audio adapter takes up a good chunk of my processing resources.

Not noticeable though but I'd prefer to not using it if there's any other solution.

Let me know what solution you have in mind for solving an issue like this.

Thanks in advance.

buy an amp for the hd449's, max out the dx and adjust the headphone volume through the amp.

Will work for electronic components and parts

Reviews: Meelec CC51P - Monoprice 8323 - Koss Porta Pros  - Shure SRH-440 - Shure SRH-550DJShure SRH-840 - Hifiman He-500 - iBasso D4 - o2 Amplifier  -  SkeletonDac

buy an amp for the hd449's, max out the dx and adjust the headphone volume through the amp.

Thanks. After some research, I think I might get a Fiio E10 and plug the line out from the E10 back to my computer for recording.

Does that makes sense?

Does that makes sense?

Have you consider something like this?  http://www.amazon.com/Koss-155954-VC20-Volume-Control/dp/B00001P4XH

Is just a volume control you plug between the headphones and the soundcard.  And is cheap enough to be worth the try.

Mystery is the source of all true science.

If OP is doing what I think he's doing, this is perfect.

If OP is doing what I think he's doing, this is perfect.

From what I read he is doing, I thought so too.   And it shouldn't cause any distortion to the sound.

Mystery is the source of all true science.

Awesome. Now I can temporarily get this and give it a try until I save enough money for a decent external DAC + AMP.

Thank you! ^_^