Strange computer behaviour

MikkoP

My computer has been acting weirdly. Sometimes inputting text lags, programs feel slow and it will often end up crashing. Everything just freezes (including sounds that just start to keep prrrrr sounds) and I have no choice but to reset it from the switch. 

I'm running Windows 8.1. My system has Asus P8P67 motherboard, i7-2600K, GTX 560 Ti, 16 GB of Kingston memory, 128 GB Samsung 830 SSD, 2 TB Seagate Barracuda and XFX Pro 750W power supply. I bought R9 290 two feeks ago but had to RMA it because of screen tearing. When I first got it I completely reinstalled my Windows on the SSD and installed the new hard drive, the Barracuda. Now I have been experiencing these problems I described. 

I have run Memtest and it didn't cause any errors. Crashing doesn't seem to be due to any temperatures or loads. I ran Prime95 for half an hour and my PC didn't crash. My CPU temps were < 95 C with the stock cooler.

I also checked the SMART data of my hard disks, everything looks cool there. 

Just 15 minutes ago my computer crashed the 8. time today. This time was different: I got a BSOD with DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION error. I googled this and I got really different solutions, as usual. Some people said it was my SSD not having firmware that is compatible with my OS.. well, it has been working well withouth any problems until this week.

What might be the problem?

It could be a driver issue. Did you completly remove the AMD drivers before you reinstalled your 560Ti? I would recommend running Driver Sweeper to scheck if this is the case.

I uninstalled the AMD Catalyst Control Center and it told me it removed all the drivers too. I checked back into Windows' Control Panel and what do I see, there it is. Catalyst version 1.0.0.0 or something. Seems like it left the basics there. I removed this and I'll see how my computer behaves now. Thanks for pointing this out. 

I have been running my 560 for the whole week now and these freezes have been happening for two days now, so I don't think they are because of the duplicate drivers. And as Linus showed in one video, it should be fine to run both. Look at the CF + SLI video, I think it was on NCIX channel if I remember correctly...

It could be the motherboard also, has a history of buggy drivers.

What do you mean?

I uninstalled the AMD Catalyst Control Center and it told me it removed all the drivers too. I checked back into Windows' Control Panel and what do I see, there it is. Catalyst version 1.0.0.0 or something. Seems like it left the basics there. I removed this and I'll see how my computer behaves now. Thanks for pointing this out. 

I have been running my 560 for the whole week now and these freezes have been happening for two days now, so I don't think they are because of the duplicate drivers. And as Linus showed in one video, it should be fine to run both. Look at the CF + SLI video, I think it was on NCIX channel if I remember correctly...

What do you mean?

It is possible to run both drivers, if you have both kinds of card installed. Running a driver without the card installed can be buggy..

Is your mother board a P67 B3 revision? The original P67 boards had a bug that would make the SATA ports useless after running for some time. Though I doubt that it would the problem after such a long time, I have to ask.

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

It is possible to run both drivers, if you have both kinds of card installed. Running a driver without the card installed can be buggy..

Is your mother board a P67 B3 revision? The original P67 boards had a bug that would make the SATA ports useless after running for some time. Though I doubt that it would the problem after such a long time, I have to ask.

My receipt says REV 3.0 but on my board it seems to say 1.02. Does 1.02 mean REV 3 (1.00, 1.01, 1.02) or REV 2 (1.01, 1.02)?

What do you mean?

That is what I meant, not sure what version of the P67 you have, also make sure you have all the latest best downloaded from Asus.

This is how You check event.asus.com/2011/mb/Identify_B3_Motherboards/ 

What BIOS your running? Latest is P8P67 BIOS 3602

I updated my bios from 1503 (from 10/2011) to 3602 (11/2012). Maybe it helps something, but it strange how the problems started so I don't think that's going to do any good. Well, maybe it's more stable in some cases but not straightly connected to my problem.

I also double checked my drivers from Asus for the motherboard and it seems like I was missing some ACHI/RAID drivers and that DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION might have had something to do with the drivers.

Intel AHCI/RAID Driver Path for Windows Win8.1 32bit & Win8.1 64bit.

Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver software V12.8.0.1016 for Windows Win8.1 64bit---(WHQL).

That's what I installed.

I'll see how it works now. If The same problems occur, I will start removing peripherals like DVD drive and card reader one by one from my computer. If I can't figure out the problem that way, then I do a complete reinstall of Windows again. I doubt that would do anything because my current install is just two weeks old without any crap installed on it.

The last solution is to get a new PC, good excuse for getting an upgrade! :D

I know you're being sarcrastic, but Sandy Bridge CPU's are still really potent, and I don't think you should build a new system. I'm sure we'll get to the bottom of it!

Spoiler

Gaming PC

• SSUPD Meshlicious White Full Mesh
  • Corsair SF650 Platinum
  • ASrock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/ax (Won a giveaway from OptimumTech)
  • Ryzen 5 5600X w/ Scythe Big Shuriken 3
  • 2x8gb G.Skill Flare X @3200 CL14
  • PowerColor Gigabyte RX 6750 XT
  • Storage:
    • Samsung 970 Evo NVME
    • Samsung 860 Evo 2.5"
    • MyDigitalSSD BP4 250gb (mSATA inside 2.5" enclosure)
  • W11Pro
  • AOC C24G1 + Dell S2415H
  • Cheap CyerPower keyboard (Wooting 60HE coming later this year)
  • Glorious Model O Matte White
  • LTT Northern Lights DeskPad 1000mm x 500mm
  • FX Audio Dac-X6 + Monoprice Modern Retro + Fifine Studio Condenser Mic

Media Server

• Rosewill RSV-L4412U 12-bay hotswap
  • Unraid 6.9.2
  • Asrock B450 Steel Legend
  • Ryzen 5 3600
  • 2x8gb DDR4
  • LSI 9207-8I
  • 9x 2tb IronWolf • 2x 2tb WD Red • 1x 14tb WD Shucked White Label
  • MSI GTX 1050 Ti

I know you're being sarcrastic, but Sandy Bridge CPU's are still really potent, and I don't think you should build a new system. I'm sure we'll get to the bottom of it!

Yea :) Hope so.

I updated my bios from 1503 (from 10/2011) to 3602 (11/2012). Maybe it helps something, but it strange how the problems started so I don't think that's going to do any good. Well, maybe it's more stable in some cases but not straightly connected to my problem.

I also double checked my drivers from Asus for the motherboard and it seems like I was missing some ACHI/RAID drivers and that DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION might have had something to do with the drivers.

Intel AHCI/RAID Driver Path for Windows Win8.1 32bit & Win8.1 64bit.

Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver software V12.8.0.1016 for Windows Win8.1 64bit---(WHQL).

That's what I installed.

I'll see how it works now. If The same problems occur, I will start removing peripherals like DVD drive and card reader one by one from my computer. If I can't figure out the problem that way, then I do a complete reinstall of Windows again. I doubt that would do anything because my current install is just two weeks old without any crap installed on it.

Its a very strange problem indeed. Would be a waist if you had to get a whole new set-up, its a decent rig. I'm a little stumped, cant really help you much more from here. I really hope you you nail that bug.

Its a very strange problem indeed. Would be a waist if you had to get a whole new set-up, its a decent rig. I'm a little stumped, cant really help you much more from here. I really hope you you nail that bug.

I installed the new (replaced) R9 290 in my system now. I had hard time getting Windows working with it.

First I got only blank screen with the cursor. I entered safe mode and used Driver Sweeper to delete old Nvidia drivers. No luck with this one either, still blank screen. I had also removed them earlier inside Windows when I had the Nvidia card installed. I rebooted into safe mode again and deleted the driver from device manager and after this I was able to get into Windows. Then I installed AMD drivers and now it seems fine.

I posted a question earlier about my tv screen getting pink every once in a while. I hope that was due to the broken GPU too, so if it's fine now I'm happy.

I'll be using this system on my daily basis and see if it works or not.

BTW, during the AMD driver installation, it said something about warnings. It told me to look at the log but I don't understand what's the warning here.

http://pastebin.com/8TPijZdh