A magnet-mounted fan controller

PCDesignerRy

So, I'm thinking of trying something in my build and I wanted to get some opinions about it. I had a hell of a time getting the first 6-channel fan controller I bought to fit in my computer case. I actually had to use a dremmel tool to mod my case with the use of bolts to get the panel to work and to hold right. I'm about to switch from my Thermaltake Commander F6 to my Lamptron 30W FC-8 fan controller. Instead of going through the fiasco of what I had to do the first time around with this part, I was thinking of trying to buy some strong adhesive-backed magnets, mount them on the fan controller to where the mounts would normally screw into the case frame, and see if that will hold strong enough that I can put my case's front panel back on without it moving or being an issue. The challenge is finding magnets that are A) strong enough and basically as strong as possible and B) the right size to fit where they need to. Luckily magnet sets don't cost much so I'll probably buy many sets, use the ones that work and store the ones I don't use. Has anyone tried and succeeded at this? Can anyone think of any possible issues I may not be considering? If this ends up working well I can think of a few other places where I might be able to make this method work with the right magnets too. 

As always, thanks for any time and knowledge that you can afford me! 

Everything I've done with my computer build so far is well-documented at: 
My Thermaltake Home Profile
SPECKS!! ...specs: 
Case: Thermaltake W200
Motherboard: MSI MEG Z390 Godlike
CPU: i9-9900KS
CPU Cooler: Corsair H150i RGB
RAM: G.SKILL TridentZ DDR4-3200 32GB
GPU: Asus Strix 1080Ti
PSU: Corsair Ax1200i
System Drive: Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD 1TB
Storage: Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD 1TB x4

Display: Asus PG348Q 3440x1440 100Hz
Sound: SoundBlaster Katana X
Network: CAT8 Cabling & Wifi6
Keyboard and Mouse: Redragon K556 RGB & Redragon M711 Cobra
Case Fans: Primarily Noctua 140mm 3000RPM 
Case Fan Controller: Lamptron FC-8 8 Channel
Cosmetic Light Appeal: Remote Controlled Light Bars x2

You could also just use some double-sided sticky tape. I've used this for mounting tons of things, hard drives, control hubs, holding down laptop covers, and even for iMac screens. It works really well. There is even a 15lb. version if you want the extra holding power.

https://www.amazon.com/Heavy-Duty-Exterior-Mounting-Tape-Holds/dp/B00004Z4BV/ref=sr_1_5?crid=SBHRRHUSXSZW&keywords=double+sided+tape+heavy+duty&qid=1582915637&sprefix=double%2Caps%2C186&sr=8-5

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

4 minutes ago, SpookyCitrus said:

You could also just use some double-sided sticky tape. I've used this for mounting tons of things, hard drives, control hubs, holding down laptop covers, and even for iMac screens. It works really well.

https://www.amazon.com/Heavy-Duty-Exterior-Mounting-Tape-Holds/dp/B00004Z4BV/ref=sr_1_5?crid=SBHRRHUSXSZW&keywords=double+sided+tape+heavy+duty&qid=1582915637&sprefix=double%2Caps%2C186&sr=8-5

Yeah I was thinking about that originally but I want to make sure that should I ever need to I can still remove the part, like if it dies, or if I ever find something better that I want to use. I suppose you could still do that with double-sided tape, but I want to make sure it doesn't leave any sticky residue behind. If this doesn't end up working I may end up doing that anyway. 

SPECKS!! ...specs: 

Just now, PCDesignerRy said:

Yeah I was thinking about that originally but I want to make sure that should I ever need to I can still remove the part, like if it dies, or if I ever find something better that I want to use. I suppose you could still do that with double-sided tape, but I want to make sure it doesn't leave any sticky residue behind. 

It doesn't, I've always been able to remove it cleanly without it ever leaving residue. It's more sticky tack like but stronger and in tape form.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

I don't really foresee to many issues. as far as I am aware hard drives are the only thing that can be affected by magnets in a computer and even then you need a really powerful one.

It just depends on how strong your magnets are and how magnetic your case is. Magnets usually are not very strong when they are pulled apart from the side.

You might want to look at Velcro or something. Although that would require you to stick it to your case as well. Unless you can find a way to screw it down maybe.

Edit *opps forgot "not" in magnets usually are not very strong

Just now, Catsrules said:

I don't really foresee to many issues. as far as I am aware hard drives are the only thing that can be affected by magnets in a computer and even then you need a really powerful one.

It just depends on how strong your magnets are and how magnetic your case is. Magnets usually are very strong when they are pulled apart from the side.

You might want to look at Velcro or something. Although that would require you to stick it to your case as well. Unless you can find a way to screw it down maybe.

Velcro would work because it would still allow the fan controller to be detached, although it might be hard to find strong enough velcro. I'm hoping to find magnets basically strong enough that it would be as if they were screwed down when attached to the case, having to pull quite hard to remove them, but that's why I'm looking to buy many. Since I'm using nothing but M.2 SSDs in my build, these would be far away from any drives, and any other moving parts for that matter. Velcro would definitely be something to consider if I could find some that is REALLY strong. I did try screws (or at least a bolt and nut kit) for this originally. 

SPECKS!! ...specs: 

20 hours ago, PCDesignerRy said:

Velcro would work because it would still allow the fan controller to be detached, although it might be hard to find strong enough velcro. I'm hoping to find magnets basically strong enough that it would be as if they were screwed down when attached to the case, having to pull quite hard to remove them, but that's why I'm looking to buy many. Since I'm using nothing but M.2 SSDs in my build, these would be far away from any drives, and any other moving parts for that matter. Velcro would definitely be something to consider if I could find some that is REALLY strong. I did try screws (or at least a bolt and nut kit) for this originally. 

Could you show pic of the situation? Like where you need the controller to be? That controller is for drive bay, and if you are going with it not on a bay, then you could even use cable ties going through screw holes.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

3 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

Could you show pic of the situation? Like where you need the controller to be? That controller is for drive bay, and if you are going with it not on a bay, then you could even use cable ties going through screw holes.

Yes I will be happy to identify where the fan controller will be going via images. It is going in the drive bay. 

20200229_110110.jpg

20200229_110257.jpg

20200229_110309.jpg

20200229_110321.jpg

20200229_111728.jpg

20200229_111619.jpg

20200229_111634.jpg

SPECKS!! ...specs: 

1 hour ago, PCDesignerRy said:

Yes I will be happy to identify where the fan controller will be going via images. It is going in the drive bay.

Are those still using rails etc. so they won't fall down? As in are you using magnets just to keep them in place?

I bought some years ago 10x5mm magnets from one of those Chinese gadget shops (DX.com). They are much smaller than I was aiming for, but surprisingly powerful Like better than any kitchen magnet I have.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

42 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

Are those still using rails etc. so they won't fall down? As in are you using magnets just to keep them in place?

I bought some years ago 10x5mm magnets from one of those Chinese gadget shops (DX.com). They are much smaller than I was aiming for, but surprisingly powerful Like better than any kitchen magnet I have.

Right now the fan controller is mounted to the front of the case with bolts and nuts. The magnets would just hold tight enough to the front of the case that it wouldn't move, in theory. 

SPECKS!! ...specs: 

16 minutes ago, PCDesignerRy said:

Right now the fan controller is mounted to the front of the case with bolts and nuts. The magnets would just hold tight enough to the front of the case that it wouldn't move, in theory. 

Those small magnets from DX.com etc. are rather cheap, like $3 for 10pcs. So worth of trying if they suit your needs.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv