5700xt Liquid Devil BSOD

Doctor Briola

I’m helping my roommate with his new custom loop build and we’re running into an odd issue with his GPU. As the title of this post says, it’s a 5700xt liquid devil. We had some issues mounting it initially with a stubborn motherboard fan blocking it from seating in the PCIe slot properly, but a good vertical mount seemed to resolve those.

now that it boots, we installed drivers and immediately started having BSOD issues. I’ve had three primary STOP codes-

WHEA Uncorrectable Error

Critical Process Died

TDR time-out with atikmag.sys 

the card doesn’t blue screen when we’re working with stock drivers, but we would obviously like to use the actual drivers. The previous card he had in there worked fine, and we’ve completely wiped and reinstalled windows along with using DDU. We’re leaning towards RMAing the card, but I wanted to see if there were any other ideas out there.

EDI - 3700x  | 2080ti STRIX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 | Samsung 960 EVO 1TB | Samsung 860 QVO 1TB | Seagate 6TB HDD | O-11D XL | cooled by a needlessly convoluted custom loop | Windows 10 Pro

Laptop - 2020 M1 MacBook Air

Try the Adrenaline 2019 drivers. I had massive issues with mine and 2020.

On 2/24/2020 at 9:01 PM, Doctor Briola said:

vertical mount

Mine was running without problem until I put my GPU onto this same thing ?, a PCIe riser cable to vertically mount the GPU, then I got this same error ?

On 2/24/2020 at 9:01 PM, Doctor Briola said:

TDR time-out with atikmag.sys 

Then I tried to find some way to try to fix, and I read someones's post in other site forum (I forgot which site it was), the person sent message directly to AMD support about same problem, and there that person showed the answer and confirmation screenshot from AMD which mentioned list of some of the most probable causes, which mention 1 of them was that most of PCIe riser cable in the current market is one of the root cause for the errors beside the other causes.

Most of PCIe riser cables are not compatible with RX 5700/XT.

After I found that post, I went to BIOS to see if I can do something from there (X570 board), and found there is a setting to choose the PCIe mode, 'AUTO' 'Gen-1' up to 'Gen-4' modes, I just changed mine from default setting at 'AUTO' to 'Gen-3', aaaaaaaaaand it's gone... The error never coming back again ever, til today.

Hope this help.

SILVER GLINT

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X || Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WiFi || Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 3600 MHz || GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT || Storage: Intel 660P Series || PSU: Corsair SF600 Platinum || Case: Phanteks Evolv Shift TG Modded || Cooling: EKWB ZMT Tubing, Velocity Strike RGB, Vector RX 5700 +XT Special Edition, EK-Quantum Kinetic FLT 120 DDC, and EK Fittings || Fans: Noctua NF-F12 (2x), NF-A14, NF-A12x15

Ok try this. 

No xmp profile, make your tests. 

Try only Gen 3 pci on bios 

hope you had DDU the system

Use 2 8 pin cables from the PSU, some have issues with load with just one. 

Hope this helps. 

26 minutes ago, Xkillerpn said:

Ok try this. 

No xmp profile, make your tests. 

Try only Gen 3 pci on bios 

hope you had DDU the system

Use 2 8 pin cables from the PSU, some have issues with load with just one. 

Hope this helps. 

Worth to try.

While my case only need to change the PCIe setting only, I didn't touch the other things neither DDU nor XMP, I left my XMP enabled. But that was my own case.

SILVER GLINT

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X || Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WiFi || Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 3600 MHz || GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT || Storage: Intel 660P Series || PSU: Corsair SF600 Platinum || Case: Phanteks Evolv Shift TG Modded || Cooling: EKWB ZMT Tubing, Velocity Strike RGB, Vector RX 5700 +XT Special Edition, EK-Quantum Kinetic FLT 120 DDC, and EK Fittings || Fans: Noctua NF-F12 (2x), NF-A14, NF-A12x15

On 2/26/2020 at 6:00 AM, Sakaki_Makio said:

Mine was running without problem until I put my GPU onto this same thing ?, a PCIe riser cable to vertically mount the GPU, then I got this same error ?

Then I tried to find some way to try to fix, and I read someones's post in other site forum (I forgot which site it was), the person sent message directly to AMD support about same problem, and there that person showed the answer and confirmation screenshot from AMD which mentioned list of some of the most probable causes, which mention 1 of them was that most of PCIe riser cable in the current market is one of the root cause for the errors beside the other causes.

Most of PCIe riser cables are not compatible with RX 5700/XT.

After I found that post, I went to BIOS to see if I can do something from there (X570 board), and found there is a setting to choose the PCIe mode, 'AUTO' 'Gen-1' up to 'Gen-4' modes, I just changed mine from default setting at 'AUTO' to 'Gen-3', aaaaaaaaaand it's gone... The error never coming back again ever, til today.

Hope this help.

This... almost perfectly describes what we’re going through. We RMA’ed it today and are installing it soon here, I’ll let y’all know what happens, thanks!

EDI - 3700x  | 2080ti STRIX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 | Samsung 960 EVO 1TB | Samsung 860 QVO 1TB | Seagate 6TB HDD | O-11D XL | cooled by a needlessly convoluted custom loop | Windows 10 Pro

Laptop - 2020 M1 MacBook Air