Reinstall Windows after MOBO/CPU upgrade?

Always reinstall Windows after a system/platform change.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

On 2/21/2020 at 11:06 PM, ZzLy said:

What? No.

Yes yes.

On 2/24/2020 at 3:34 AM, Samfisher said:

Yes yes.

I build PC's as a hobby and I have a test drive with a Windows installation that I plug into every PC that I need to test, and this works fine. At the first startup Windows just says "configuring devices" and after installing the right drivers for the new hardware it runs like it's supposed to. You're wrong.

yeaaaah it can be nice to have a fresh start, but.. Man I carried the same windows install over the last 2 years through multiple system updates including Intel to AMD swaps, multiple GPUs, etc :D Finally did a fresh install this weekend while trying to diagnose an issue, that turned out to not be related at all ? 

Still, Windows installs so quickly and easily these days that if you can spare the little bit of time to backup and reinstall the bits you need, it's a pretty nice feeling to have a clean slate. 

11 hours ago, ZzLy said:

I build PC's as a hobby and I have a test drive with a Windows installation that I plug into every PC that I need to test, and this works fine. At the first startup Windows just says "configuring devices" and after installing the right drivers for the new hardware it runs like it's supposed to. You're wrong.

Works fine?  Of course.  Potential for issues later on?  Of course.  You can do a lot of wrong things with no consequences that you know of, until it hits.