External GPU please help

max668

Hello all
I am currently using a mac mini and I waned to get a external GPU except they are all 300 dollars or more.....

And then I found this this --> https://www.amazon.com/XCSOURCE-External-Independent-Graphics-AC866/dp/B074XFMFXZ/ref=sr_1_8?keywords=External+GPU&qid=1582166126&sr=8-8

I know I cant plug that in because it plugs in to a wifi or m.2 connector .... ( someone should make a video about this meaning try it if it would even work .. cough Linus  ...)
Anyways so I was is there a external GPU that connects through usb c or thunderbolt ?

Also :
What is would be the cheapest and best external GPU option for me ?

49 minutes ago, max668 said:

Hello all
I am currently using a mac mini and I waned to get a external GPU except they are all 300 dollars or more.....

And then I found this this --> https://www.amazon.com/XCSOURCE-External-Independent-Graphics-AC866/dp/B074XFMFXZ/ref=sr_1_8?keywords=External+GPU&qid=1582166126&sr=8-8

I know I cant plug that in because it plugs in to a wifi or m.2 connector .... ( someone should make a video about this meaning try it if it would even work .. cough Linus  ...)
Anyways so I was is there a external GPU that connects through usb c or thunderbolt ?

Also :
What is would be the cheapest and best external GPU option for me ?

My memory is there are several thunderbolt eGPUs that work with macs.  They do tend to not be cheap, partially because they not only have to have thunderbolt stuff but a PSU for the GPU as well.  They are famous for having a good deal of latency, and there is only so much bandwidth on thunderbolt ports which puts the maximum amount of usable GPU decidedly at the low end of midrange.  The standard gaming card for such setups is a 580. It pretty much maxes the available bandwidth so there isn’t much point in more GPU.  One advantage of it though is the card is fairly short so it can be used with less expensive eGPUs.

For graphics work people sometimes put in vega56es.  This actually has more bandwidth than can actually be accessed but the vega56 does compute, so it is sometimes worth it.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.