700$ build

Gapi

I'm helping a friend with a pc build and this is what I came up with. I'm pretty certain everything is alright, but I'm uncertain about the GPU, and SSD? Idk about 1660 aftermarket coolers, so it might not be the best at the price. He's gonna be using it for video editing / graphic design and a bit of gaming, so I picked the ryzen 5 2600 for that. All feedback is appreciated.

Just now, WikiForce said:

It looks good, i don't see a problem.

yeah its probably alright, just unsure about the gpu, maybe there's a better preforming model at the price but i have no clue about that

Here's an alternative that really doesn't sacrifice anything, and gains GPU performance.

Alternatively, one could go with the slightly more powerful RX 5700, though the low end of the cooler list leaves some to be desired.

I have heard some complaint about driver issues with the Navi cards. I can't weigh in, since I don't own one. Raw performance is good, and my experience with previous AMD cards has been great.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 (14nm) 3.2 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($85.00) AF models on amazon.
Motherboard: ASRock B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($74.98 @ Amazon) 
Memory: G.Skill Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($62.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Crucial BX500 240 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($33.99 @ Adorama) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($53.98 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB KO GAMING Video Card  ($303.98 @ Newegg) 
Case: Cougar MG130-G MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($39.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Corsair CX (2017) 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($51.98 @ Newegg) 
Total: $706.89
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-02-17 22:15 EST-0500

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

6 hours ago, Gapi said:

I'm helping a friend with a pc build and this is what I came up with. I'm pretty certain everything is alright, but I'm uncertain about the GPU, and SSD? Idk about 1660 aftermarket coolers, so it might not be the best at the price. He's gonna be using it for video editing / graphic design and a bit of gaming, so I picked the ryzen 5 2600 for that. All feedback is appreciated.

As for some light critique:

• The 2600 isn't going to be able to well utilize 3600mhz RAM like the Zen 2 units do. Rule of thumb for Zen+ was 3000-3200mhz dual channel.
    • That 3600mhz RAM is also CL18, which is pretty sloppy timings. If you did want 3600, I'd fork over a few more $ for a CL16 unit like these Ripjaws. Again either way, for the 2600 I'd look at 3000-3200.
  • The SSD market is a little weird right now, but for low price with decent review there is the TC Sunbow SSDs. Those SanDisk units are pretty low end.
  • As you'll see in the build posted, there is a better priced 2TB Barracuda unit. It looks the same, so perhaps the price changed between your list and mine.
  • CX is a good choice, but some do complain that the modular version has a coil whine under load. Some avoid it for this reason. (Just kind of a pitchy fan noise.) The P300 has a PSU enclosure, so really a non-modular unit wouldn't hurt anything.

Not a bad build, but you could squeeze more performance in, as mine and @Herman Mcpootis's builds demonstrate.

25 minutes ago, trevb0t said:

Here's an alternative that really doesn't sacrifice anything, and gains GPU performance.

Alternatively, one could go with the slightly more powerful RX 5700, though the low end of the cooler list leaves some to be desired.

I have heard some complaint about driver issues with the Navi cards. I can't weigh in, since I don't own one. Raw performance is good, and my experience with previous AMD cards has been great.

don't forget using "storemi" + gpu accelerate when render for this build.

21 hours ago, m777y said:

don't forget using "storemi" + gpu accelerate when render for this build.

An alternative option for acceleration is PrimoCache, it helps you configure so that other parts of the machine cooperate with system memory, solid state drives (SSD) and flash drives to speed up relatively slow storage devices and it is Not reserved for any particular platform.

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

6 hours ago, trevb0t said:

Thanks for the help! I made this new list using a lot of it. I didn't want to put the 2060 cause that puts it a bit over budget, also a 120gb ssd is a bit small. Otherwise with the cheaper drive and psu, I was still able to upgrade the card to a 1660S.

22 minutes ago, Gapi said:

Thanks for the help! I made this new list using a lot of it. I didn't want to put the 2060 cause that puts it a bit over budget, also a 120gb ssd is a bit small. Otherwise with the cheaper drive and psu, I was still able to upgrade the card to a 1660S.

You could keep the 2060 and just use a 1600 AF which is a cheaper 2600.

Problem solved!

As for the 120GB SSD, I honestly suggest ditching the 2TB HDD for now, grabbing a 500GB SSD instead, and picking up an HDD when they hit a really good sale. (I've seen 2TB as low as $27, and 3TB as low as $32.)

That way your boot drive base is stronger, and you can always pick up more HDD space when it's cheap.

25 minutes ago, Gapi said:

maximum space is 256GB ssd storage if you want build "storemi", don't buy more than 256GB or wasted the other space. it use for chace, main software+os at huge hdd storage. don't forget it

13 hours ago, Gapi said:

i dont like the gtx 1660 maybe you could look for a used better card. 

cxm 550W is in my opinion pretty bad, i had severe problems with the 750m you should go for a evga, seasonic GX or thermaltake tough power.

the rest ist fine :)

1 hour ago, robotix2211 said:

cxm 550W is in my opinion pretty bad, i had severe problems with the 750m you should go for a evga, seasonic GX or thermaltake tough power.

evga has some stuff way worse than cxm

and toughpower is... 5 lines on the top of my head, ranging from decent to crap

[/rant]

3 hours ago, trevb0t said:

You could keep the 2060 and just use a 1600 AF which is a cheaper 2600.

Problem solved!

As for the 120GB SSD, I honestly suggest ditching the 2TB HDD for now, grabbing a 500GB SSD instead, and picking up an HDD when they hit a really good sale. (I've seen 2TB as low as $27, and 3TB as low as $32.)

That way your boot drive base is stronger, and you can always pick up more HDD space when it's cheap.

Yeah, but the build is more focused on video editing / graphic design, so I'd prefer taking the better processor. Besides, I just noticed the motherboard is micro ATX, even tho it'd probably be alright, I'd rather switch it for an ATX so it fits better. Any recommendations on that end?

Yeah, but the build is more focused on video editing / graphic design, so I'd prefer taking the better processor. 

it's really not any better than the 1600AF. it's pretty much the same.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

Yeah, but the build is more focused on video editing / graphic design

I didn't realize that. In either case, the 2600 and 1600AF are practically on par. You could make a squeeze to get a better CPU, though.

24 minutes ago, Gapi said:

I just noticed the motherboard is micro ATX, even tho it'd probably be alright, I'd rather switch it for an ATX so it fits better.

That doesn't matter at all, except for cosmetic purposes if you don't like the look. You could also grab a micro ATX case and have it fit...

Here is a build with the more powerful 3600, a mATX MOBO and a mATX case.