XLR or USB?

billchill

From the title you can propably figure out i am looking for a mic.i found the audio technica AT2020 which an xlr and a usb version.the usb version in my country is about 130euros and the xlr version with a 40euro-50euro mixer is about 140euros.first of all should i go for the xlr or the usb?and if it is xlr should i get like a external sound card like the Behringer U-Phoria UMC22 or the Behringer Xenyx-502.dont know too much about sound so i would be really happy if anyone could help.

Usually XLR has better sound quality and the UMC22 is a good low cost interface.

My boring Github   /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

34 minutes ago, Timotheus2 said:

Usually XLR has better sound quality and the UMC22 is a good low cost interface.

so i dont really need the second one do i?or the second one only offers more tuning?

2 hours ago, billchill said:

so i dont really need the second one do i?or the second one only offers more tuning?

How do you plan to connect your XLR mic to your PC otherwise?

25 minutes ago, JohnT said:

How do you plan to connect your XLR mic to your PC otherwise?

it seems the first one is simple and the second one has more dials i guess if thats what they are called.so its that device to usb

UMC22 is a audio interface:

It connects to a PC and offers a few audio in/outputs. It focuses more on audio quality and less on features. Essentially the same as your included mainboard audio, but better quality. It also provides 48V phantom power over XLR for mics needing it (AT2020 needs it). The main purpose is connecting microphones for recording.

Xenyx 502 is a mixer:

It has more in/outputs and lets you mix and EQ them. It focuses more on features and less on quality. It does not connect to a PC per USB. Xenyx Q502 is the USB variant that includes a simple audio interface.

My boring Github   /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

1 hour ago, Timotheus2 said:

UMC22 is a audio interface:

It connects to a PC and offers a few audio in/outputs. It focuses more on audio quality and less on features. Essentially the same as your included mainboard audio, but better quality. It also provides 48V phantom power over XLR for mics needing it (AT2020 needs it). The main purpose is connecting microphones for recording.

Xenyx 502 is a mixer:

It has more in/outputs and lets you mix and EQ them. It focuses more on features and less on quality. It does not connect to a PC per USB. Xenyx Q502 is the USB variant that includes a simple audio interface.

so for a simple man like me you think the umc22 is good?

Just now, billchill said:

so for a simple man like me you think the umc22 is good?

I quite like mine, It doesn't need drivers, the audio quality is good, provides 48V phantom power etc.

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)