specs for a Multipurpose server with a dozen users?

use cases

• A personal cloud server

• Matrix server

• Csgo server

• Remote media server (personal netflix?)

• Torrenting

budget

• I want it to be value for money. As long as we get decent performance we are good. So budget as low as possible

country

• India

features needed
  • Possibility to upgrade in the future.

Extra info or particulars:

1. Number of users are pretty low and will never exceed 15. Usually 3-10

2. The system needs to be able to be accessed remotely

3. Matrix is a communication server for chatting, calling and video calling

4. I have no idea what kind of specs would be needed and thats why my budget is vague.

5. I would also need another pc as an offsite backup. Do i need the same specs as this one or i can cheap out?

What are the users doing? How much total bandwidth are we thinking?

You can make the offsite backup much lower end.

Do you mind used? Id try to get something like a r720 or another dual 2011 system if you can, ten run a hypervisor on it.

If you want new, Id go with a ryzen 6 core or above.

How much storage do you need?

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

You can make the offsite backup much lower end.

Do you mind used? Id try to get something like a r720 or another dual 2011 system if you can, ten run a hypervisor on it.

users would be playing in csgo servers. Also it will be our google drive, netflix, and discord alternative. i dont have any idea about the bandwidth needed

i dont have any experience in servers, so i will need to look into "hypervisor". does ltt has a video on it? also i dont mind used at all, but r720 is priced at 1300USD here in india. is it a reasonable price?

around 1-2tb per user. so including another offsite backup it will be 40 tb, i.e. 20tb per system

yeah that would be a lot cheaper over here. But will it be sufficent? also how much ram will i need?

2 minutes ago, evilapple2k said:

i dont have any experience in servers, so i will need to look into "hypervisor". does ltt has a video on it? also i dont mind used at all, but r720 is priced at 1300USD here in india. is it a reasonable price?

hypervisor is a os that lets you run vms, so something like proxmox, esxi, hyper-v server, xen server. Then run all of those servers in their own vm.

1300usd seems pretty high. How much is a ryzen 6 core desktop?

around 1-2tb per user. so including another offsite backup it will be 40 tb, i.e. 20tb per system

Id probably go something like dual 1tb ssds for the vms and stuff that needs speed and 6x8tb hdds. Then use raid for redundancy and speed, and then you have some buffer room when more space gets used.

4 minutes ago, evilapple2k said:

yeah that would be a lot cheaper over here. But will it be sufficent? also how much ram will i need?

If those are cheaper, id go for that.

For vm ram usage id guess something like:

4gb for matrix

8gb for plex/jellyfin for video streaming

2gb for nextcloud

4gb for csgo.

So that would be about 32gb Id get, then maybe see if more is needed later on. Or just go 64gb for good measure.

How much bandwidth do you have? Do you have a buiness grade connection? Id try not to do this on a home connection if you can

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

How much bandwidth do you have? Do you have a business grade connection? Id try not to do this on a home connection if you can

i dont have a business grade connection but i can apply for it. my data limit are unlimited 60mbpsdown and 30mbps upload speed.

How much is a ryzen 6 core desktop?

ryzen 5 3500 (6 cores, 6 threads) costs 145$ here and 3600 (6 cores, 12 threads) costs 220$

1 minute ago, evilapple2k said:

dont have a business grade connection but i can apply for it. my data limit are unlimited 60mbpsdown and 30mbps upload speed.

That speed might be annoying with all those users, but depends on what their doing. Also if its a home connection, its shared with neighbors, so there is a good chance you speeds will go down during times of heavy use.

ryzen 5 3500 (6 cores, 6 threads) costs 145$ here and 3600 (6 cores, 12 threads) costs 220$

Id aim for the 3600 if you can, the headroom is nice. Or a 2700 or 1700 are good aswell. But you can get away with less, id spend the extra if it was me.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

That speed might be annoying with all those users, but depends on what their doing. Also if its a home connection, its shared with neighbors, so there is a good chance you speeds will go down during times of heavy use.

okay i will try to get a business connection if possible.

about the offsite pc, what should be the specs for that?

Just now, evilapple2k said:

okay i will try to get a business connection if possible.

about the offsite pc, what should be the specs for that?

If its just syncing files, you really don't need much, basically any pc with the drives will work fine. If you want new, id go like 200ge or a 1151 pentium here.

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

If its just syncing files, you really don't need much, basically any pc with the drives will work fine. If you want new, id go like 200ge or a 1151 pentium here.

alright thanks a lot man!