240 and 120 volts

TryArch
Go to solution Solved by paulsterio,

Do the 240 volt wall sockets in Australia change how much stuff you can put in a pc without maxing your power supply? compared to the 120 volts in US, Canada Ect.

No, it doesn't. 

All it does is reduce the current in your street powerlines. 

If those powerlines have a resistance of R, then the power lost will be P = I^2 x R, so by reducing the current in those street power lines, they are reducing power loss. It has nothing to do with the wattage of your power supply. 

All your power supply is is a rectification circuit, converting AC current into 12V, 5V and 3.3V DC current. The higher the wattage, the higher the current the PSU can supply on those lines. Has nothing to do with the wall power voltage. 

Do the 240 volt wall sockets in Australia change how much stuff you can put in a pc without maxing your power supply? compared to the 120 volts in US, Canada Ect.

cpu: 3570k cooler: H100i m/b: Asus Maximus V Formula ram: 16gb Corsair Vengeance gpu: Asus Nvidia GTX 680 DCUII ssd: Samsung 840 pro hdd: WD Black 2tb case: CMStorm Stryker psu:  Corsair AX860 

No, it doesn't. 

If those powerlines have a resistance of R, then the power lost will be P = I^2 x R, so by reducing the current in those street power lines, they are reducing power loss. It has nothing to do with the wattage of your power supply. 

All your power supply is is a rectification circuit, converting AC current into 12V, 5V and 3.3V DC current. The higher the wattage, the higher the current the PSU can supply on those lines. Has nothing to do with the wall power voltage. 

My Personal Rig - AMD 3970X | ASUS sTRX4-Pro | RTX 2080 Super | 64GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB DDR4 | CoolerMaster H500P Mesh

My Wife's Rig - AMD 3900X | MSI B450I Gaming | 5500 XT 4GB | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 | Silverstone SG13 White

im so confused as to why there are 2 of this topic?

cpu: 3570k cooler: H100i m/b: Asus Maximus V Formula ram: 16gb Corsair Vengeance gpu: Asus Nvidia GTX 680 DCUII ssd: Samsung 840 pro hdd: WD Black 2tb case: CMStorm Stryker psu:  Corsair AX860 

No, it doesn't. 

thanks man :D

im so confused as to why there are 2 of this topic?

One for 120v and the other for 220v :)

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

No, it doesn't. 

Not to hijack thread, but you seem to know what your talking about. Is it true 240v charges things faster than 120v or is that a rumor. Also some people say 240v is superior to 120v.

I just remember hearing something about that in relation to electric cars and how some people in the US get a special box fitted to supply the car 240v.

Do you know???

CORSAIR RIPPER: AMD 3970X - 3080TI & 2080TI - 64GB Ram - 2.5TB NVME SSD's - 35" G-Sync 120hz 1440P
MFB (Mining/Folding/Boinc): AMD 1600 - 3080 & 1080Ti - 16GB Ram - 240GB SSD
Dell OPTIPLEX:  Intel i5 6500 - 8GB Ram - 256GB SSD

PC & CONSOLE GAMER

Not to hijack thread, but you seem to know what your talking about. Is it true 240v charges things faster than 120v or is that a rumor. Also some people say 240v is superior to 120v.

I just remember hearing something about that in relation to electric cars and how some people in the US get a special box fitted to supply the car 240v.

Do you know???

No worries, I did physics when I was in college, so I guess I know a bit about this sort of stuff. 

To answer, firstly, you don't simply charge something at 240V or 120V. Think about an AA battery. When you put an NiMH battery into a charger, it applies a voltage in the reverse polarity which will force the ions to go backwards and whatever (I'm not a chemistry guy, so I don't know :P), but essentially you are not putting 120V or 240V across the battery otherwise it would die. So I guess the answer is that it is not true. For example, when you charge your phone, it's usually a 5W charger, 1A at 5V (P = I x V = 1 x 5 = 5W). So charging speed depends on the wattage, not so much voltage. 

Secondly, yes, 240V is superior to 120V, pretty much for what I was saying above, in that there will be less power lost. You can calculate the value of R by using a co-efficient called resistivity, which is a property of the cable. Then using P = I^2 x R, you can find the power loss. Notice that there is CURRENT in the equation. You find the current by doing P = I x V, i.e. P is fixed (it's how much is drawn), so higher voltage = lower current = lower power loss. 

My Personal Rig - AMD 3970X | ASUS sTRX4-Pro | RTX 2080 Super | 64GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB DDR4 | CoolerMaster H500P Mesh

My Wife's Rig - AMD 3900X | MSI B450I Gaming | 5500 XT 4GB | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 | Silverstone SG13 White

No worries, I did physics when I was in college, so I guess I know a bit about this sort of stuff. 

To answer, firstly, you don't simply charge something at 240V or 120V. Think about an AA battery. When you put an NiMH battery into a charger, it applies a voltage in the reverse polarity which will force the ions to go backwards and whatever (I'm not a chemistry guy, so I don't know :P), but essentially you are not putting 120V or 240V across the battery otherwise it would die. So I guess the answer is that it is not true. For example, when you charge your phone, it's usually a 5W charger, 1A at 5V (P = I x V = 1 x 5 = 5W). So charging speed depends on the wattage, not so much voltage. 

Secondly, yes, 240V is superior to 120V, pretty much for what I was saying above, in that there will be less power lost. You can calculate the value of R by using a co-efficient called resistivity, which is a property of the cable. Then using P = I^2 x R, you can find the power loss. Notice that there is CURRENT in the equation. You find the current by doing P = I x V, i.e. P is fixed (it's how much is drawn), so higher voltage = lower current = lower power loss. 

alright then. got it.

CORSAIR RIPPER: AMD 3970X - 3080TI & 2080TI - 64GB Ram - 2.5TB NVME SSD's - 35" G-Sync 120hz 1440P
MFB (Mining/Folding/Boinc): AMD 1600 - 3080 & 1080Ti - 16GB Ram - 240GB SSD
Dell OPTIPLEX:  Intel i5 6500 - 8GB Ram - 256GB SSD

PC & CONSOLE GAMER