Freezing PC. Please help

Pryme
Go to solution Solved by Pryme,

so, yeah, it seems it was an windows problem, i think i ve had some kind of virus

So. I have a problem with my pc. Sometimes it just froze up. Like. Froze up 4ever and i need to reset it from the power button. What do you think it s the problem?

Specs:

I5 8400
16gb ram
Gtx 1660 ti
Adata su 630 250 gb
1tb hdd wd blue
Psu ac bel 430w 80+

PS: this is prebuilt pc (got it as a gift) and i just upgraded the ram and the gpu and put an ssd for the windows.

There's quite a lot that could be the issue based on how little info you give. Does it freeze when doing anything in particular or just at random? 

Also... I presume this has started happening since you installed new RAM, a GPU and SSD? 

EDIT: I'm sure you could also have posted this into the troubleshooting area of the forum btw rather than in general discussion... 

https://linustechtips.com/main/forum/46-troubleshooting/ 

My Rig:

Xeon E5 1680 V2 @ 4.5GHz - Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79 Mobo - 64GB DDR3 1600MHz - 8 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile - CAS 10-10-10-27 - AMD Radeon RX 6700XT Sapphire Pulse 12GB - DeepCool E-Shield E-ATX Tempered Glass Case - 1 x 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD - BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850W Gold+ Quad rail - Fractal Design Celsius S36 & 6 x 120mm silent fans - Lenovo KBBH21 - Corsair Glaive RGB Pro - Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Monitors - 3 x Acer Nitro 23.8" 1080p 75Hz IPS 1ms Freesync Panels = AMD Eyefinity @ 75Hz

id hate to recommend a higher end psu but iv that seems like itd be adequate but every build iv done iv given above 600w for future proofing, id assume you did a clean install of windows after getting new ssd? other then that id look at the cooling of the cpu, if thats in check the timings of the memory in bios might have something to do with it, as in single sided/double sided ram makes a difference, and could be how windows is configured.  is power plan set to balanced? or high/ultimate performance. its matter of narrowing down the culprit by process of eliminating the hardware,

31 minutes ago, Brennan Price said:

There's quite a lot that could be the issue based on how little info you give. Does it freeze when doing anything in particular or just at random? 

Also... I presume this has started happening since you installed new RAM, a GPU and SSD? 

EDIT: I'm sure you could also have posted this into the troubleshooting area of the forum btw rather than in general discussion... 

https://linustechtips.com/main/forum/46-troubleshooting/ 

sometimes after i quit an demanding game, or just sometimes the game just crashes to desktop and after 2 or so seconds it completely freezes

29 minutes ago, Shadowarez said:

id hate to recommend a higher end psu but iv that seems like itd be adequate but every build iv done iv given above 600w for future proofing, id assume you did a clean install of windows after getting new ssd? other then that id look at the cooling of the cpu, if thats in check the timings of the memory in bios might have something to do with it, as in single sided/double sided ram makes a difference, and could be how windows is configured.  is power plan set to balanced? or high/ultimate performance. its matter of narrowing down the culprit by process of eliminating the hardware,

the cooling is not a problem, the cpu don t go above 60 C  and the gpu goes to 70C but extremely rare

try a clean install of GPU Drivers

See my Build here!

Intel 6700k -  Strix GTX 1080Ti - Corsair AX760 - Corsair Dominator 16GB 3000MHz - ASUS Maximus VIII Hero

Seagate Barracuda 1TB -  Samsung 120GB 840 - Samsung 840 EVO 250GB - Corsair H100i - Corsair Air 540 White -

Corsair AF120 - 2x Noctua NF-F12 - 3 x Noctua NF-S12

Dell S2417DG - Dell UH2515H 

Have you tried the basic stuff yet? Namely like another guy said a clean install of gpu drivers with DDU off of GURU3D. If that doesn't fix it i'd look at any drivers that are more than a few years old and give them an update. Then update windows and run a sfc /scannow (checks for errors in windows) all I can think of off the top of my head

8 minutes ago, Mynameischef said:

Have you tried the basic stuff yet? Namely like another guy said a clean install of gpu drivers with DDU off of GURU3D. If that doesn't fix it i'd look at any drivers that are more than a few years old and give them an update. Then update windows and run a sfc /scannow (checks for errors in windows) all I can think of off the top of my head

i reinstalled the whole windows (reformated both drives) and i will look if the problem is still there

38 minutes ago, Lonewolf6869 said:

i reinstalled the whole windows (reformated both drives) and i will look if the problem is still there

You might try looking through the Windows Event Viewer when it freezes again, it might have some insights on what's going on

17 minutes ago, Mynameischef said:

You might try looking through the Windows Event Viewer when it freezes again, it might have some insights on what's going on

thank you

so, yeah, it seems it was an windows problem, i think i ve had some kind of virus