Linux with Dual Pentium III

Hi everyone :)

Has anyone wanted to build a dream machine but waited for the price to drop?

I have fully refurbished a Dual pentium III system of mostly new old stock components from around the planet.

I chose one without integrated video and audio or LAN for maximum options and all the PCI slots WOW ?

No ISA in this puppy.

Windows XP PRO retail running; I want to run linux as the second boot option for when I want to do useful things with the internet.

Later I want to upgrade to HDMI GPU.

Specifications:

Motherboard is an Abit VP6 (second hand re - capped)

I must say, the motherboard can both run dual celerons and ECC server ram.

So, if theres no memory left to run or pentium III's to buy i can always get slower server RAM instead (and handicapped pentiums lol).

It has 2 x Pentium III CPU's @ 1 ghz (coppermine; will not modify for tulatin they kill these mobos.)

2 gigabytes of low density 1 chip sided ram. (Matched to Motherboard)

128MB ati 8x agp card on 4x agp slot.

Built in dual ATA - 100 IDE PATA Ports and additional dual ATA-100 RAID ports (up to 8 IDE or PATA devices)

SATA II PCI Disk Controller Card with an attached 120gb kingston SSD to boot on (can support up to 4 SATA with maximum capacity of 3TB each)

Gigabit LAN

1000 watt Pentium 4 PSU (I know its big but guarantees a minimum of 700 watts for additional SSD's on 5 volt rail)

USB2 addon card.

Creative Labs soundblaster model SB 0730 because front panel audio, and built in soundfont support. (optical optional)

xwave PCI soundcard for the Yamaha legendary YMF724 midi synthesis and midi port for realtime hardware music synthesis.

All installed on Brand new old stock white box.

Although I want a dual boot Windows XP and Linux setup, I have run windows 3.x,  95b, 98se, 2000, xp, and windows 7.

Windows 2000 is ok but windows XP is like 2000 Mk II and has a newer code base that is lighter than Vista and 7 thus more snappy

and supports front panel audio cards, front panel soundcard driver support came around windows xp era sucks that.

Just basically want a Linux that is cool.

Thanks for reading :)

5 minutes ago, Za69uzZ said:

Has anyone wanted to build a dream machine but waited for the price to drop?

You waited 20 years. LOL.

ABIT mobo!... RIP...

You can run old linux with it i think.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

17 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

You waited 20 years. LOL.

ABIT mobo!... RIP...

You can run old linux with it i think.

Probably modern Linux, too, so long as it's a 32bit distro

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Well, the project started 2 years ago when i decided on a retro for nostalgia and i finished late last year just before the national bushfire emergency in Australia.

The memory is optimal for the VIA chipset and its very low latency for maximum efficiency in dual cpu mode ready for snappy

multimedia and gaming on DVI video.(although it doesn't run crysis lol)

Dual cpu helps with the addon cards like SATA II,  gigabit LAN and HD surround audio so as not to lag like In ordinary pentium III and act as a server if needed.

I feel snug of a system that performs just as well as a 1st generation pentium 4 and shows theres an alternative to throwing away old tech polluting the enviroment.

I can throw decades of software at it from archive.org that most new systems would need hypervisors or apps to emulate.

i have an AGP card with HDMI. a radeon something. not sure, and i don't know where it is. i can look for it if you are interested in it though.

She/Her

10 minutes ago, Za69uzZ said:

Sure would be! @Twilight

i looked in a few spots where it could be and i haven't found it. i'm preparing to move out somewhat soon though (in the next few years), so i need to go through all my stuff in the coming months and there is a very good chance i'll find it then if i still have it. i'll send you a message if i do find it, and you can have it for the price of shipping then.

She/Her

@Sauron a modern linux on hardware from 2002?!? why do people buy new computers! I suppose an extra high end pentium III cpu does make it more interesting but what i want to do with linux is little experiments like emulate old console games and run windows millennium in a hypervisor to see if it can allocate the 2 cpu's than running just one with bare hardware (use 2 physical cpu to power 1 virtual). Even on multicore systems windows 9x won't use more than one core, like React OS. lots of things to try.