I've recently built an AMD Ryzen 5 3600x system with an Msi B450 Tomahawk max and the first thing I've noticed since powering it on is that the fans ramp up momentarily before posting, which I though was fine. After getting into Windows however, i get an unusual cpu fan revving pattern where the fans rev up for a moment then rev back down and this loops as long as the system is idling. I've also noticed that the temperature on Ryzen master occasionally jumps from 37°C to 44 or 50 °C while idling. It only jumps for about a second then drops back down to 37 °C. I checked the motherboard bios and the temperature reading there was normal at about 30 °C and not behaving oddly.

I'm looking for help on here since the random jumps in fan speed is really jarring especially when I'm not taxing the system at all.

I'm worried there might be something wrong with the board's sensors but so far I get the problem only while booted into windows, while idling in bios it behaves normally.

I should also mention I'm using the AMD Ryzen power profile, no overclock or over voltage, A-XMP on ram.

Any help is appreciated.

Update: I have temporarily addressed the issue by adjusting the fan curve in bios to keep at 30% speed constant while under 60 °C, this has resolved the random ramping up but while in Windows all utilities still report wrong and inconsistent temperature.  Is this a Windows issue, since while in bios the temperature is read normally?

1 minute ago, Barebuns said:

Update: I have temporarily addressed the issue by adjusting the fan curve in bios to keep at 30% speed constant while under 60 °C, this has resolved the random ramping up but while in Windows all utilities still report wrong and inconsistent temperature.  Is this a Windows issue, since while in bios the temperature is read normally?

Usually I trust Ryzen master for temps, not sure about inconsistent reportings since the CPUs do actually spike up at idle like that

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 hour ago, Fasauceome said:

Usually I trust Ryzen master for temps, not sure about inconsistent reportings since the CPUs do actually spike up at idle like that

What's odd is that the cpu temps seem to spike (reportedly) all the way up to 60 °C for about 1 second then drop back down immediately to about 40 °C and I think this is what causes the fans to rev up for a moment to address the supposed high temperature and then rev back down. It's honestly distracting and somewhat worrying.

1 minute ago, MarreKero said:

I have the exact same problem. It's very annoying with the cpu fan reving up all the time.

I lessened the annoyance by tuning the fan curve in bios to be constant below 65 °C (since that's as high as I've seen it to false report) at about 30% fan speed, so if I do anything that actually pushes the temperature above 60°C the fans rev up as they should, meanwhile they stay constant until then. It hasn't fixed the problems as I can still hear them rev up every 5 seconds or so but they're at least not as loud.

8 minutes ago, MarreKero said:

I have the exact same problem. It's very annoying with the cpu fan reving up all the time.

Adjust the fan curve

I refuse to read threads whose author does not know how to remove the caps lock! 

— Grumpy old man