Nginx Reverse Proxy, confusing me

Hey all,

Quick run-down of my setup and what I'm trying to achieve:

Note: All of the below is hosted on my home network, and not internet-facing or accessible over the internet. My intention is not to get this working over the inetnet.

- I've got multiple web apps running accross a handful of servers,IP's and ports.

- DNS is handled by a Windows Server

- I have a domain of: mydomain.home

- Only a few things in the house are actually attached to the domain, but everything is being pointed towards the windows DNS server

What I want to achieve:

I'd like to be able to use Nginx Reverse Proxy, to point to all my various web apps on other servers etc, i.e:

- The Ubuntu box running Nginx is called 'Den', it has a static IP and is registered in DNS as 'Den'.

- I'd like to be able to point 'Sab.Den' towards 10.0.0.5:8181, and 'UniFi.Den' towards 10.0.0.3:5000, etc etc

Is the above possible, somehow? I've configured the proxy on nginx, but when trying to go to any of the sub domains, I get "page not found" (not an nginx error, just a standard - there's nothing here msg).

The part thats really confusing and puzzling to me personally, which I haven't found an explanation for online, is how the sub-domains actually get routed? How can UniFi.Den even hit my Nginx server at all, I don't get it :/

I've sorted it!

For anyone interested and future reference, it was DNS.

I had to create a FQDN for each subdomain pointing to the proxy:

spacer.png