Undervolting the i7 9750H - any reason to switch from ThrottleStop to InteL XTU? Also, is my current performance good?

Reonu

I have a MSI GE65 Raider 9SF laptop with an i7 9750H and an RTX 2070. I'm currently using a -120 mV undervolt on the CPU (both core and cache). It used to be -125 mV but I got a BSOD once after closing a game so I adjusted it to -120 mV and no problems since. It holds 4 GHz playing most games. Some games will make it drop to 3.7 GHz. If I run Cinebench, it stays at ~4 GHz for like half the process, then drops to 3.7 GHz and stays there. Temps are around 80-82ºC when under full load IIRC. I haven't repasted yet. I'm heavily considering it, and I already opened the laptop in order to add a second SSD, but the idea still makes me a bit nervous, especially since I don't know whether I will encounter thermal pads on the VRMs or thermal compound, and if it's thermal compound I don't have the right stuff to replace it with (since it wouldn't be regular thermal paste)

So, I have 3 questions:

- Have I won the silicon lottery? The -120 mV undervolt seems to be 100% stable after almost 2 months of use.

- Is there any reason at all for me to switch XTU? It seems most people use XTU these days. I've set ThrottleStop to apply the undervolt at boot via the Windows task scheduler btw, so that it starts with admin rights and al that.

- Can I / should I / how do I undervolt the RTX 2070?

And also, a fourth question... I kinda regret not getting the GE75 (basically the same exact model except 17", it was the same price). If I had gotten the GE75, would I be getting higher CPU clocks? Please say no so that I feel better about my purchase lol

Thanks!

-120 mV is a good undervolt.  

Try running Cinebench R20. 

https://www.maxon.net/en-us/products/cinebench-r20-overview/

Open up the Limit Reasons window and watch to see if your CPU starts throttling.  Is it temperature or power related throttling?  Can you maintain the full multiplier for the entire Cinebench run? Most 9750H are either limited by cooling or by the turbo power limits.

12 hours ago, Reonu said:

Is there any reason at all for me to switch XTU?

If you want your CPU to run slower, I highly recommend it.  ?

To find the real answer to this question, head over to HWBot and see what software the top 9750H CPUs are using.  

https://hwbot.org/submission/4301066_prema_cinebench___r20_core_i7_9750h_3369_marks/

I think 5 out of the top 6 are all using ThrottleStop.  Maybe 6 out of 6 but I could not see it in the screenshot that was posted.  Do your own testing.  How do your scores compare?  Run some benchmarks with ThrottleStop for a baseline, completely uninstall ThrottleStop, reboot and then try the same benchmarks while using Intel XTU.  Every CPU and computer is unique.  Run whatever program works best for you.

The 9750H should run at the exact same speed no matter what laptop it is installed in as long as that laptop has great cooling and the turbo power limits have not been locked by the manufacturer.  It is impossible to compare laptops unless you can do some thorough hands on testing.  Some laptops from Dell and others, running the exact same 9750H, do not run nearly as fast because they are significantly locked down by the BIOS.

• 4 months later...

-125mv undervolt is standard, should already be preset from the MSI factory,  at -150mv your i7-9750H would be considered fantastic the cream of the crop.

For unknown reason, MSI messed up since it should be fully functional at -125mv. Sorry, that you need -120mv for stability also the CPU will run another 2c hotter.

I'd contact MSI technical department, if you desire to RMA. However, no guarantee when it'll get fixed or when returned will be better than before since it cost MSI a good penny to replace the CPU.

Forget ThrottleStop and XTU don't use them or need them. Go into BIOS and set things to Default.

Use AfterBurner to adjust GPU (RTX 2070), or if MSI included an Program that will OC - overclock your GPU automatically.

17 inch laptops generally cost more, the main difference is the layout since the chassis provides more space for cooling. Since it not as congested as a 15.6 inch laptop they are able to add a SD card reader or Optical CD/DVD Drive or another HDD/SSD compartment. You also have a larger screen meaning game play viewing angles are better, you get a bigger picture of your surroundings. Performance wise between 15.6 and 17 is rather minute. However, battery life typically is better since the can install a larger battery.

Draw back about 17 inch is they are bit heavier and bulky on your lap, not as portable and if you have a locker at college or high school makes for a tight fit.

The i7-9750H base frequency is 2.6GHz and max turbo is 4.5GHz. Most people will never see anything above 4.3GHz, average is about 3.8 to 3.9GHz in turbo because the TDP limit ends at 56W instead of 60W. Most intense video games the CPU temp may reach 88c to 93c or bit higher. Gets near 100c your computer will auto shut down to protect itself.

The GPU (GTX 1660ti, RTX 2060/70/80) temps may range from 75c to 85c during gaming but relatively will be 10c less than the CPU.