New build won't boot to bios with m.2 nvme SSD in slot

SOOPS

Hi, new to the forum and if you read on you'll see why I joined. 

I'm new to all this pc stuff so forgive me if I use the wrong terminology. I'll put my components here as it'll probably help you to help me. 

Cpu Ryzen 5 3600X (stock cooler) 

Motherboard asus tuf gaming x570-plus 

Psu corsair RM750x gold

Gpu Power Color Radeon RX5700XT red devil

Ram corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16gb 3600mhz 

Storage wd blue sn550 1tb (times 2)

Case 220T Airflow 

I'm trying to build my first ever pc and everything seemed to be going OK until I tried to get into the bios/uefi. 

So I've got everything connect up OK and it seemed to post just fine but I couldn't access the bios. It just got stuck on a tuf gaming logo saying press f2 or delete to enter bios. Pressing either of these keys does nothing. 

I can access the bios if I remove the nvme SSDs, I can also access the bios when I used a HDD I took out of a PS4 and that drive is visible in the bios screen. 

I can't remember the bios version but it's the standard out of the box version dated early last year (good newb reads sticky thread). 

So can anyone help me get this thing up and running with the m.2 nvme SSD? 

These two sticks are the only storage I've got for this machine but the damn thing doesn't seem to recognise them. 

1 minute ago, Juular said:

Did you try to reset the BIOS ?

I'll be honest don't even know what that means so I'm gonna say no. 

I had a friend talk me through some bios stuff and he had me disable cms and fast boot when I had no m.2 ssd connected, but neither of those allowed my in to bios when I put them back in the slots. 

I've also tried both sticks in both slots, separately and together and that made no difference either. 

Also I'm not with my pc right now, I'm at work. Just hoping for advice to try later when I get home. 

Well, judging by the fact that motherboard just freezes when you plug the SSD and it shouldn't behave like that i'd say, RMA the motherboard, or at least talk with support.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

Three main things pop to my mind right away:

1. I am not very familiar with it, but i know that there is an issue with the bios version and ryzen... Im not sure what models and what chipsets (like x570 or x470 etc) but you should look into it
  2. Your nvme is faulty. If it is one of the P.O.S.T checks of your motherboard to check the nvme drive, and it is faulty, it might be that you are failing p.o.s.t and it wont boot because of it.
  3. A configuration problem. It might be possible that for example, the m.2 slot you plugged the drive to is set to be optane or something, and because it is not optane, the motherboard doesnt know what to do with itself. Another option is that it is configured out of the box to be raid something on the m.2, and that is what screwing you over.

I would suggest that for a starter you read the manual of your motherboard to see if you missed a step or if it says something about the correct slot or something

If that doesnt work... "Jump" the shit out of it... Meaning take a metalic screwdriver and while the system is plugged, the psu is on, but the system itself is OFF touch the tip of the screwdriver to the two small pins that are near the small battery that looks like a coin, it might say cmos near the pins, if you are not sure, i promise you it will say exactly wherw they are in your motherboard manual.

Good luck! And wellcome to the pc master race

14 minutes ago, Juular said:

Well, judging by the fact that motherboard just freezes when you plug the SSD and it shouldn't behave like that i'd say, RMA the motherboard, or at least talk with support.

You think the m.2 slots on the motherboard may be faulty? 

12 minutes ago, DrProfSagi said:

Three main things pop to my mind right away:

1. I am not very familiar with it, but i know that there is an issue with the bios version and ryzen... Im not sure what models and what chipsets (like x570 or x470 etc) but you should look into it
  2. Your nvme is faulty. If it is one of the P.O.S.T checks of your motherboard to check the nvme drive, and it is faulty, it might be that you are failing p.o.s.t and it wont boot because of it.
  3. A configuration problem. It might be possible that for example, the m.2 slot you plugged the drive to is set to be optane or something, and because it is not optane, the motherboard doesnt know what to do with itself. Another option is that it is configured out of the box to be raid something on the m.2, and that is what screwing you over.

I would suggest that for a starter you read the manual of your motherboard to see if you missed a step or if it says something about the correct slot or something

If that doesnt work... "Jump" the shit out of it... Meaning take a metalic screwdriver and while the system is plugged, the psu is on, but the system itself is OFF touch the tip of the screwdriver to the two small pins that are near the small battery that looks like a coin, it might say cmos near the pins, if you are not sure, i promise you it will say exactly wherw they are in your motherboard manual.

Good luck! And wellcome to the pc master race

Thanks for the suggestions,

1, I'll have a Google and see what I can find.

2, I'd have to be incredibly unlucky to get 2 busted nvme surely.

3, don't understand much of that but it's something else I can look up I guess. 

1 hour ago, SOOPS said:

You think the m.2 slots on the motherboard may be faulty?

It's unlikely that you have two faulty slots but by the looks of it there's some issue with the way it handles them.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

Quick update,

I think I've cracked it. I updated bios then set CSM to enabled. Changed boot from storage to uefi only and boot from pci-e/pci expansion devices to uefi only.

Don't know what that's done but my m.2 nvme drive is showing now.

• 4 weeks later...

Just wanted to respond to this because I just had nearly same situation, same issue. I have the Asus TUF-Gaming x570 Plus motherboard, recently built and had 1 m.2 nvme ssd installed. Everything worked great, but a month later I went to install a second m.2 nvme ssd, system wouldn't boot, and I couldn't get into bios settings. Once I removed that new 2nd m.2 ssd, I could boot and get into bios again. I switched the ssds in the m.2 slots, switched basically all settings in bios relating to pci-e/nvme drives and boot options (CSM, secure boot etc) that could have been relevant, nothing fixed it.  I was about ready to throw in the towel, I found this thread and while it wasn't proven the bios update would fix it, I saw OP updated their bios among other things and they got it to work.

I then updated my bios from version 1404 to version 1405 and it worked. Just wanted to post that for anyone else who may run into the issue, it seems to require updating to 1405 to get both m.2 slots to work.