I am upgrading to a new sound system!

LoganOBryant
Go to solution Solved by Sors,

Okay sweet thanks, I just didn't know if I was going to be able to put out the power through on board, but I guess I can :P

Yeah.. you don't pull the power through the onboard, all you are sending from the PC to the speakers is a data signal, there is almost no power involved. :lol:

The speakers have their own power supply and connection to the wall outlet.

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Surround-Sound-Speaker-System/dp/B004M18O60/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

Hey guys, I am going to be upgrading my sound system here soon, probably next week. My question is, should I buy a sound card, from like Asus, that has component outputs to drive this high of a watt sound system, or will the Aux out be fine to drive this system? Typically a sound card (from what I know) is not very practical because most onboard audio solutions are perfect for most instances. My roommate has the step down version of this that is only 200 watts, which vibrates the air, and walls on the other side of the resident hall, and he drives it through "Bluetooth aux" adapter.

What's your motherboard?

Any recent motherboard will have good enough onboard sound, where a sound card won't make a difference at all.

@LoganOBryant

Hey,

The Z906 has its own built-in amplifier. So you won't need a sound card for the purpose of "higher output". Although, a dedicated sound card generally do produce a better signal. Present decent motherboards come with more than adequate sound production for general usage :lol:  

Corsair 400R, i7 3770K @ 4.5GHz 16GB, Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz, Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H Motherboard, 240GB Samsung 840 Evo Sata III SSD, 2 x Asus GTX 780 Direct CU2 SLI, Corsair H100i and Corsair AX860i Platinum Power supply.

Your new audio system will not need a high power output from the soundcard, so you don't really need a new soundcard unless your current setup is giving you problems or is not capable of giving you the 5.1 sound those speakers use. 

The signal from a new soundcard and the signal from the onboard audio will be identical to the speakers.

Looking up the speakers they have coaxial and optical inputs, if your onboard have any of the 2 you are set, no need for a soundcard to get surround sound.

Mystery is the source of all true science.

http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4481#ov

I have a gigabyte Z87X-UD3H Motherboard, my build is very recent

Your motherboard have an optical audio output, and supports up to 7.1 surround, you are all set. No need for a soundcard.

You may need to buy a tos-link optic cable to connect the speakers and the PC, if your speakers don't include the cable in the box.   http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Digital-Optical-Audio-Toslink/dp/B001TH7GSW

Your motherboard have an optical audio output, and supports up to 7.1 surround, you are all set. No need for a soundcard.

Okay sweet thanks, I just didn't know if I was going to be able to put out the power through on board, but I guess I can :P

Yeah.. you don't pull the power through the onboard, all you are sending from the PC to the speakers is a data signal, there is almost no power involved. :lol:

The speakers have their own power supply and connection to the wall outlet.