Plz help with Thermaltake Riing Trio fans on Asus z390e

Hello,

I am new on PC. I please help me to resolve my problem. I posted on many forums but no one even replied to my post image.gif.1ac7ea2c08eac8e6afcd91b97caa79ff.gif

So I have Thermaltake View 71 TG RGB edition case that came with 3 Riing 140mm LED RGB fans and a controller. And I also purchased 6 Riing Trio 120mm fans that come with two controllers. I will use all 6 trio fans and use just one of case fans as exhaust fan. Also will use Kraken x72 fans.. How can I make them work? My motherboard is Asus z390e gaming. And my PSU is Thermaltake Toughpower grand gold 850w if that helps.

Am I going to use all three controllers? Cuz I can't use trio fans on case fans controller and also can't use case fans on trio fans controller. What should I do?

Well, your Riing Trio PLUS comes with the controller, right? Check the package for USB 2.0 Header to 2 micro USB 2.0 type B. Plug the controller to the micro USB type B plug, and plug the USB 2.0 Header to your motherboard. After that, you need to Install ThermalTake TT RGB PLUS software.

You can also daisy chain your controllers. In the package, you will find another micro USB type B cable with a 4 pin socket. Plug the 4 pin socket to the end of the controller and plug the micro USB type B to the other controller.

You have to take note that all your controllers has a DIP switch (a tiny 4 on/off switch) where you have to set in order to assign the controller number.

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.

For further info, please refer to this manual:

https://thermaltake.azureedge.net/pub/media/productattach/db/support/usermanual/_ac924c5f4e124cc9af07c41c2cd737e1.pdf

Oh yeah, before I forget, are your case View 71 RGB or View 71 aRGB? They both consist of the same fan, but aRGB version doesn't comes with a controller for the case fan, but instead use a different type of controller, which uses the motherboard argb header instead.

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.

54 minutes ago, Chiyawa said:

Well, your Riing Trio PLUS comes with the controller, right? Check the package for USB 2.0 Header to 2 micro USB 2.0 type B. Plug the controller to the micro USB type B plug, and plug the USB 2.0 Header to your motherboard. After that, you need to Install ThermalTake TT RGB PLUS software.

You can also daisy chain your controllers. In the package, you will find another micro USB type B cable with a 4 pin socket. Plug the 4 pin socket to the end of the controller and plug the micro USB type B to the other controller.

You have to take note that all your controllers has a DIP switch (a tiny 4 on/off switch) where you have to set in order to assign the controller number.

Thanks for your reply,  the fans aren't Riing Plus!! They called Riing 14 RGB Radiator Fan TT Premium Edition and they came with the case. Also here is my Riing Trio 120mm Fans .. you can see the difference between their controllers.. And the USB type B Cable coming only with trio fans controller.

Note: Riing trio controller header is 9pin and says that should be plugged to USB 2.0 9pin while the case fans (Riing 14 RGB) controller header is 4pin and I don't know where to plug it!!

Also riing trio controller can have up to 5 fans plugged to it. But I have 6 fans so I need to use both controllers. And I just want to use ONLY one of case fans and I don't know where to plug it as well. Case fan header is 9pin...

Btw, my case is view 71 TG RGB Edition. It's not view 71 Plus Edition nor aRGB edition!! So the manual pdf file you provided is not for my case.

6 hours ago, Rai Rainbow said:

Case fan header is 9pin...

Do you mean the fan originally come with your case has 9 pin header? Then you can just connect to your Trio controller.

my case is view 71 TG RGB Edition

Is this the case?

https://www.thermaltake.com/view-71-tempered-glass-rgb-edition.html

If it is, the fan should only have 5 pin that connects to the controller, and the fan controller included in the case only has PWM input (which you connect the motherboard PWM fan header to the controller so you can control the fan speed). The controller controls the fan colour, and there's no way to control the fan colour through any software except from the controller itself. The manual is here:

https://thermaltake.azureedge.net/pub/media/productattach/db/support/usermanual/_82e8a405b0504617a86ba0c859011d52.pdf

2 hours ago, Chiyawa said:

Do you mean the fan originally come with your case has 9 pin header? Then you can just connect to your Trio controller.

I apologise man, I mixed the names due to confusion from my side about this problem I have... I meant it has 5 pin header but the the trio has 9 pin header... I can connect trio to its controller but I can't connect case fan to trio controller. It either be connected to it's own controller which I won't use it just for one fan. Or if it's possible to connect it to Motherboard. 

2 hours ago, Chiyawa said:

Is this the case?

https://www.thermaltake.com/view-71-tempered-glass-rgb-edition.html

If it is, the fan should only have 5 pin that connects to the controller, and the fan controller included in the case only has PWM input (which you connect the motherboard PWM fan header to the controller so you can control the fan speed). The controller controls the fan colour, and there's no way to control the fan colour through any software except from the controller itself. The manual is here:

https://thermaltake.azureedge.net/pub/media/productattach/db/support/usermanual/_82e8a405b0504617a86ba0c859011d52.pdf

Yes this is my case. I am not sure what PWM input means, my trio fans also looks like they are PWM.

I apologise for not being knowledge about this. But I am console guy and just moved to PC. Here is my Asus Rog Strix z390e gaming motherboard manual . Was asking if you kindly can look it and tell me where to plug (trio fans controller, 1 case fan or it's controller). I will also attach my motherboard look and what I plugged so far.. so you know ports exact place as the manual don't have a picture for it.

Maybe you mark notes on the picture so I follow your instructions ❤?

My motherboard:

20200205_142103.thumb.jpg.539d550d6f2669395c280cad70d8853b.jpg

The fans I want to use:

20200205_054635.thumb.jpg.cc45b53a03600007b449bc3224f48ac8.jpg

It's okay. This is because the case you bought is the previous generation, meaning they use a different controller from the more recent Riing Trio. Okay, now I know about the detail, let's see...

Okay, let's follow the manual:

image.thumb.png.450c91187fafc69e3e24a9674be73456.png

So, at first step, it asked you to connect the controller to the motherboard with a cable labelled as controller cable. This controller cable has 4 pin connector that connects your controller to your motherboard. The smaller connector connects to the controller, the bigger 4 pin connector connects to the motherboard's CHA_FAN header. If you don't know where it is, in your picture, it's just a bit below the SATA ports at the right edge of your motherboard. If your cable is too short, there is a CHA_FAN header just above of the top PCIE x1 port, at the left side of the top M2 heat sink. Oh, by the way, nice motherboard you have there.

When connect the 4 pin connector to your motherboard's CHA_FAN header, make sure you align the notch correctly. Notice that the controller cable, there's a bump at almost the edge of the connector and somewhere near the middle one? That is a guide. It should fit to the motherboard CHA_FAN header easily like a matched jigsaw puzzle, like what has been illustrated in the manual at step 1.

Hope that helps.

Oh, by the way, PWM stands for Pulse Width Modulation. It is a method to control the fan by sending pulse of signal to the fan. It maintain the fan by switching the fan on and off very quickly. You can learn more from Wikipedia if you are interested.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_fan_control#PWM-FAN

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulse-width_modulation

16 hours ago, Chiyawa said:

So, at first step, it asked you to connect the controller to the motherboard with a cable labelled as controller cable. This controller cable has 4 pin connector that connects your controller to your motherboard. The smaller connector connects to the controller, the bigger 4 pin connector connects to the motherboard's CHA_FAN header. If you don't know where it is, in your picture, it's just a bit below the SATA ports at the right edge of your motherboard. If your cable is too short, there is a CHA_FAN header just above of the top PCIE x1 port, at the left side of the top M2 heat sink. Oh, by the way, nice motherboard you have there.

When connect the 4 pin connector to your motherboard's CHA_FAN header, make sure you align the notch correctly. Notice that the controller cable, there's a bump at almost the edge of the connector and somewhere near the middle one? That is a guide. It should fit to the motherboard CHA_FAN header easily like a matched jigsaw puzzle, like what has been illustrated in the manual at step 1.

WOW man what a way to explain. You really deserve to be a guider at companies like Thermaltake and Asus. That's even easier than item manuals. REALLY what a way to explain. I can't thank you enough mate.

Following your instructions now. And yeah I did so many researches before buying this motherboard. I wanted to get latest version of Formula one. But it's price was so expensive for me after adding customs.

how about these 6 Riing Trio 120mm fans and their 2 controllers? it says on manual that the controller power cable should be connected to Molex and its 9 pin controller cable be connected to USB 2.0 9 pin port on motherboard... this controller cable has two USB type B headers.

Now my question is: My motherboard has two USB 2.0 9 pin ports! One is used for chassis USB 2.0... And other one is free and will be for one of trio 9 pin controllers. How am I going to plug other trio 9 pin controller. There is no room for it. Or I will just plug other USB type B header from 1st trio controller to this one? or both must be connected to motherboard separately?

1095718413_TTtrio.png.836444e9e2474cd4a230ae53ff72a697.png

My motherboard has two USB 2.0 9 pin ports! One is used for chassis USB 2.0... And other one is free and will be for one of trio 9 pin controllers. How am I going to plug other trio 9 pin controller. There is no room for it.

Well, for this, you can just connect both to the micro USB splitter cable (Controller Cable), since both of the controllers only need micro USB to connect to the system. In fact, you can use any micro USB cable and plug into your PC USB port and it will work.

Also, the controller can be daisy chain using Bridge Cable (D). In the manual Step 6 shows you how to connect both controllers using the bridge cable.

Just make sure you set the controller DIP switch base on the manual for the controller's identification, otherwise the software might not see both of the controllers. You can set the DIP switch into anything as long as they are not the same for each controller (for example, you can set one of the controller to NO.1 and the other NO.2. As long as they are not the same, the TT RGB PLUS software should be able to detect both controllers).

12 hours ago, Chiyawa said:

Well, for this, you can just connect both to the micro USB splitter cable (Controller Cable), since both of the controllers only need micro USB to connect to the system. In fact, you can use any micro USB cable and plug into your PC USB port and it will work.

Unfortunately, I just realized that my Kraken x72 cooler needs an USB 2.0 port on motherboard as well. And no room for it :( idk what to do now!!

Only one port of USB 2.0 is free.. and have Kraken x72 and trio controller 

Oh... Well that's very unfortunate...

However, it might still be possible to connect the Kraken X72 and TT Trio controller using the same USB 2.0 header. You might need more technical knowledge about the header pin-out. Well, I think this may be way complicated for you, so I don't really recommend it, as it may damage your system.

There is a much easier way, and you only need to made a few adjustment:

1. You need the ThermalTake Trio Bridge Cable, and you have to daisy chain the controller, which is to connect one controller to the motherboard, and connect the second controller to the first controller through Bridge Cable. You can refer diagram 6 of the Riing Trio 12 manual you have posted.

2. Get a micro USB to mini USB converter:

https://www.amazon.com/Micro-USB-Mini-2-0-Adapter/dp/B002O1S8IE?ref_=RAsinC_Ajax&pf_rd_r=VDYEBHCC96T8Y4BKARDN&pf_rd_p=c3148450-ee3a-516e-958d-f69b4722d29e&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-6&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_i=3015402011&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

3. Plug in the unoccupied micro USB plug from the TT Trio Controller Cable to the converter, and plug the converter mini USB plug to your Kraken x72.

There is another way, though, but it'll be a little bit expensive:

https://www.amazon.com/NZXT-Internal-Controller-Black-AC-IUSBH-M1/dp/B01IFGFTJ2/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=nzxt+internal+usb+hub&qid=1581228318&sr=8-1

With this hub, it extend your USB 2.0 header from your motherboard into multiple USB 2.0 headers. You can plug your devices which uses USB 2.0 header to the hub.

On 2/9/2020 at 9:08 AM, Chiyawa said:

Oh... Well that's very unfortunate...

However, it might still be possible to connect the Kraken X72 and TT Trio controller using the same USB 2.0 header. You might need more technical knowledge about the header pin-out. Well, I think this may be way complicated for you, so I don't really recommend it, as it may damage your system.

There is a much easier way, and you only need to made a few adjustment:

1. You need the ThermalTake Trio Bridge Cable, and you have to daisy chain the controller, which is to connect one controller to the motherboard, and connect the second controller to the first controller through Bridge Cable. You can refer diagram 6 of the Riing Trio 12 manual you have posted.

2. Get a micro USB to mini USB converter:

https://www.amazon.com/Micro-USB-Mini-2-0-Adapter/dp/B002O1S8IE?ref_=RAsinC_Ajax&pf_rd_r=VDYEBHCC96T8Y4BKARDN&pf_rd_p=c3148450-ee3a-516e-958d-f69b4722d29e&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-6&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_i=3015402011&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

3. Plug in the unoccupied micro USB plug from the TT Trio Controller Cable to the converter, and plug the converter mini USB plug to your Kraken x72.

There is another way, though, but it'll be a little bit expensive:

https://www.amazon.com/NZXT-Internal-Controller-Black-AC-IUSBH-M1/dp/B01IFGFTJ2/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=nzxt+internal+usb+hub&qid=1581228318&sr=8-1

With this hub, it extend your USB 2.0 header from your motherboard into multiple USB 2.0 headers. You can plug your devices which uses USB 2.0 header to the hub.

Thanks a lot man... I have already figured out how to deal with this problem. But thanks for your response. You helped me a lot bro. That's mean a lot to me. Wish you all the best man.

The dragon is ready to fly hahaha

20200211_002812.thumb.jpg.1023cb5256ad7e3d1adf675917b5b811.jpg

20200209_065922.thumb.jpg.feba127500d1b26ab510aa81b3d00dbd.jpg

3 hours ago, Rai Rainbow said:

The dragon is ready to fly hahaha

And hope it soar throughout the sky for a very long time.

Now that's a good looking build.

17 hours ago, Chiyawa said:

And hope it soar throughout the sky for a very long time.

Now that's a good looking build.

Hahaha, thanks man