Cpu cooling completely Inefficient

Go to solution Solved by manikyath,
13 hours ago, TechNovice0010 said:

I ve checked rest of possibilities and appears that AIO has air bubbles stuck in radiator, sound is noticeable when it reaches max rpm.

Pump is running, it is properly connected and it isn't loose. I've checked voltage and is 1.072, which isn't high,I've turned off asus oc just to double check and nothing changes in regards to thermals. 

time to swap it out then.

before mentioned NH-D15 is a nice choice, but in hindsight the be quiet dark rock pro 4 is a more "visually appealing" choice too, for example.

My pc is closing in on 2 year mark at march of these year and I was running some tests in CinebenchR20, 3DMark etc. All pc components work as expected, even above expected performance except cpu(i7-8700k). Cpu is extremely underperforming with R20 score of 2993,that got me suspicious to my cooling(AIO CoolerMaster MasterLiquid 240 lite), so I run HWmonitor for temperatures. Temperatures were sky high, idle temperatures were 45-50°C, temperatures when working on some low load programs is 50-65°C and temperatures when working on heavy load programs or playing games was 85-95 °C EVEN reaching 100°C on all cores when 100% usage, although pc doesn't crash and works fine I am still scared, these temps. are to high even for 8700k.

I was suspecting on thermal throttling 

So I was thinking of replacing this aio

with Nh-d15 or some other better aio. Cpu is factory overclocked to 4.3 (Asus mobo) on all cores but that throotles down to 3.7 on all cores when I run heavy programs for aforementioned reasons. I need advice fast. Thank you and sorry for bad grammar. 

How high is the ambient temperature and case airflow?

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

I would suggest to get a top end air cooler, you will be way better with it. 

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

14 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

How high is the ambient temperature and case airflow?

Ambien temperature is close to or lower than room temperature most of the time,(20-25°C i would say), case has vary good airflow (cooler master Mastercase Pro 5). 

13 minutes ago, Constantin said:

I would suggest to get a top end air cooler, you will be way better with it. 

Yeah I tough the same, I was thinking about Noctua Nh-d15  

before following above posts pushing you to spend money.. few things to try:

- verify your mount is still solid. i've fixed my neighbor's performance issues not too long ago by just pushing the pegs of his stock intel cooler back down properly (they had come undone for undetermined reasons..)

- are your aio fans running?

- verify the pump of your aio is running (you'll feel it vibrate, or hear it "purr", unplug all other moving components to make sure it's the only noise.

- if the pump isnt running, it can just be the header, the 3-4pin fan connecters arent the most wear-resistant. maybe just wiggling it makes stuff magically works

- did your cooler lose a significant amount of liquid? (you'll hear it "bubble" if it has a large amount of air inside)

- what are the OC settings? maybe it's just setting the voltage stupidly high.

probably, by the time you've went trough all that, you'll either have fixed your issue, or found what exact issue needs replacing.

that said, something to worry about with the NH-D15 is that if you have a motherboard where the GPU is in slot 1, it'll most likely interfere.

19 minutes ago, manikyath said:

before following above posts pushing you to spend money.. few things to try:

- verify your mount is still solid. i've fixed my neighbor's performance issues not too long ago by just pushing the pegs of his stock intel cooler back down properly (they had come undone for undetermined reasons..)

- are your aio fans running?

- verify the pump of your aio is running (you'll feel it vibrate, or hear it "purr", unplug all other moving components to make sure it's the only noise.

- if the pump isnt running, it can just be the header, the 3-4pin fan connecters arent the most wear-resistant. maybe just wiggling it makes stuff magically works

- did your cooler lose a significant amount of liquid? (you'll hear it "bubble" if it has a large amount of air inside)

- what are the OC settings? maybe it's just setting the voltage stupidly high.

probably, by the time you've went trough all that, you'll either have fixed your issue, or found what exact issue needs replacing.

that said, something to worry about with the NH-D15 is that if you have a motherboard where the GPU is in slot 1, it'll most likely interfere.

AIO fans are definitively running as they are loud when temps reach ~75°C.As for other things I'll have to double check. Though  I can hear some weird noise from time to time when it reaches 70°C,i think that It could be air bubblee, I'll try to isolate sound and record it. I'll come back after few hours with results. 

Just now, TechNovice0010 said:

AIO fans are definitively running as they are loud when temps reach ~75°C.As for other things I'll have to double check. Though  I can hear some weird noise from time to time when it reaches 70°C,i think that It could be air bubblee, I'll try to isolate sound and record it. I'll come back after few hours with results. 

recording doesnt help much, but if your pump makes weird noises that's a reliability concern as a whole.

11 hours ago, manikyath said:

recording doesnt help much, but if your pump makes weird noises that's a reliability concern as a whole.

I ve checked rest of possibilities and appears that AIO has air bubbles stuck in radiator, sound is noticeable when it reaches max rpm.

Pump is running, it is properly connected and it isn't loose. I've checked voltage and is 1.072, which isn't high,I've turned off asus oc just to double check and nothing changes in regards to thermals. 

Noctua D15 is an awesome air cooler, but make sure you have enough clearance for the RAM and the case lid as it is tall. But if you can get is in there, you will never have to worry about temp issues, if installed properly.

13 hours ago, TechNovice0010 said:

before mentioned NH-D15 is a nice choice, but in hindsight the be quiet dark rock pro 4 is a more "visually appealing" choice too, for example.

On 1/27/2020 at 10:08 PM, manikyath said:

Yeah, I tried to get rid of bublee but unsuccessful, it is way too much of a problem for aio to stay in the system as temps could damage cpu. Thanks for suggestion on dark rock pro I'll look into it.